“Shouldn't find mold in 5 star bathroom !”

Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof
Ranked #20 of 271 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in room 445 from 12/8-14. The room was large, beds very firm and not that comfortable but linens were immaculate. Huge closet to store luggage and hang clothes was great. Internet charge was ridiculous in this day and age.. They said come back in 3 weeks and internet will be free.. It starts Jan1st! The bathroom was a sore spot.. Mold.. In shower corners and grout .. Around faucet handle, around bottom and top of windowsill. Can't believe we had this in a 5 star hotel.. Manager needs to visit this room and inspect the bathroom! Also room had strange sewer smell that would fill the entry area of the room at certain times of day....had read about this in other reviews and was hoping we would not get a stinky room but we did! We liked the lobby, the bar was enjoyable for a drink and our meal and desserts at Oscars was great! Location was super... Close walk to train station( we did day trips to Marburg, Mainz, Heidelberg and Nuremberg to visit Christmas markets and see the towns ... Best Christmas market is Nuremberg. And city was lovely in the old town!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank wiggygailTX
Armin S, General Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear wiggygailTX,

thank you very much for taking the time and for giving us such detailed feedback. We do regret that you could not fully enjoy your stay. Our guest´s satisfaction is of utmost importance for us. Please be assured that we understand your comments as an opportunity to improve on our very high standards. We would like to informe you that by now all our rooms are renovated and satisfy the highest standards. Furthermore, allow me to refer to our free WiFi which we offer since January 1st this year. Our concierge will be delighted to give you an introduction during your next stay. We hope to be able to convince you of the improvements during a possible next stay at our hotel.

There are newer reviews for Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Perfect location between Train Station and main Shopping street. Check-in was somehow slow, 3 staff members at reception, no one busy with a guest, but it took me anyway a 10 minutes waiting time to get attended by one of the staff members. My request for a Smoking room was not registered, so they allocated me in a non-Smoking room. However, upgrade received to a large deluxe room, very cosy, with a huge double bed. After 5 minutes in the room, a staff member came to check the mini-bar...this was somehow strange, as I just had entered the room.
Bathroom huge with a great rain shower. Outside view to a more or less very ugly inner court, but I did not care. Overall, a nice, but old fashioned Hotel.
If the reception staff would be a Little bit more efficient, this would have a perfect stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Armin S, General Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Reto 1961
Thank you for taking your time to share your opinion on TripAdvisor – your feedback is much appreciated. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel by itself and your room. Your comments regarding the reception staff and the minibar service have been noticed and will be discussed with the management team. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future we remain with kind regards,

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here since November 26th (12 nights by now) and we are EXTREME dissapoint on this hotel. Is a hell of experience in this hotel with their extreme poor services, LONG summary as below:

1. Concierge Services:
No one in the concierge to assist you for at least 15 minutes, even I tried to get some help from the reception, they just call you just wait even they are not doing anything. I didn't know their responsibilities is starring in the air or maybe she just has some gum on her shoe that she can't move around.

2. Internet:
Is extremely inconvenient for business travellers! Internet is charged, every time you want to use the internet, you have to scratch for your "lottery" and the usage is limited to one gadget. If you want to use internet using another gadget, then you have to scratch another "lottery" card again. WHAT A FUN! All this card is limited to 24-hours. In the internet era, with this internet system is really a joke.

Internet is not stable all the time, sometimes you have to try 30 minutes in order to connect to the internet. Even we complaint, they told us: "sorry madam, we can put you in touch with our external service provider". So when there is internet problem, we have to communicate with an external party ourself in a 5-star hotel????

3. Room's toiletries:
Toothbrush, toothpaste, cotton bulbs, cotton pads; NON-of the above is provided. So you have to go to groceries to buy yourself. Maybe the toothbrush & etc has to purchase it from the hotel, as is far more too expensive than printing those "internet lottery card", is it so unaffortable to provide in a 5-star hotel.

4. Room's Cleanliness:
Extremely disappointed! See some pictures attached. They put the pillows on the floor or in the shoe rack. Speechless for a 5 star hotel, it happen 2 times in different day! All this happen after cleaning services. After we complaint, they sent a cleaner to entertain us, where is the manager?

5. Spa's:
Nice but average, again no cotton bulbs & cotton pads is provided. Just a suggestion, maybe the hotel can put a cotton bulbs or pads machine to earn some money??? I will be the first customer to buy in such a 5-star hotel spa.

6. Breakfast:
Nice varieties of food, but very poor services. Avoid breakfast during weekend, no-one lead us to a clean table, we have to find a table ourself like a canteen and clean the table ourself.

Moreover, after we order our eggs, it take 20-30 minutes to cook 2 eggs! When we complaint we did not receive our eggs, they told us: "I've already called my colleagues to send to you but they did not, so I DON'T KNOW". I asked them, "So I shall pick up myself?", THEY SAY YES!!!

What a surprise, it means after they said they will send the food to our table, and waiting for 20-30minutes, we have to again que up like a canteen to collect my 2 fried eggs! Also, I've ordered 1 crepe continuous 2 days on 7th & 8th December, it NEVER come!

7: ANTI-ASIAN??
I'm Malaysian chinese, and obviously I look chinese, my fiancé is a british. Whenever I had my breakfast with him, I have no problems on getting my breakfast tea BUT somehow whenever I have my breakfast alone, they never offer me any drinks! I've been observing many days, westerner or senior asian once they sit-in, they will offer them a drink! So does it mean I have to be a westerner or look old with wrinkles for asian in order to get my breakfast tea or coffee???? Seriously, I have stayed in for 12 days and all this is hardly a misjudgment.

Especially today, I have my breakfast alone again. The restaurant is not busy and there one european couple dine in after me. Why again they got their coffee or tea but never offer me a single drink???? Guess I should age myself faster, and put more wrinkles on my face in order to get my breakfast tea.

8. Location:
Excellent, is very convenient. This is the only credit we would rate it for this hotel.

9. CONCLUSION:
After all these, when you request a complaint form to fill in your comments at the reception, they told you they do not have one, they just give me a BLANK sheet of paper to write a "LOVE letter" to their manager. That's really reach my limit, a 5-star so called service champion in 2013 has no customer feedback form.

Generally, if you are not ASIAN, not a FOOD person, not demanding on CLEANLINESS; you may stay in this hotel.

I'm currently writing this in ROOM 525, if you are the GM of this HOTEL, please take note of all the above or you may ignore it as I'm ASIAN.

Thank you very much for your time for reading this!

Room Tip: My tip is choose other hotel to avoid all the hassle!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
10  Thank blmy

Dear brendalmy,
Thank you for your detailed feedback. We are very sorry to read that your stay was not to your full satisfaction. We certainly enjoyed looking after you and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Kind regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We really enjoyed my meal at Oscars. The food was top class and the waiters we're very friendly and helped create a relaxed and enjoyable ambiance. We started our meal with the caesar salad which was truly delicious. We followed that with both the Tagliatelle and the Schnitzel which we thoroughly enjoyed. The dessert of creme brulee was very tasty and had a lovely creamy texture. They had a wide variety of drinks on their menu which complemented each course perfectly. The staff gave excellent recommendations for each dish we had chosen for our meal. After our meal we had a traditional Irish coffee made by a waiter, who himself was from Ireland. It was made in front of us at our own table and a brief, interesting history of the coffee was given. This was a great personal touch and added greatly to our evening. All in all, it was a terrific night and the food was excellent. Our waiter Mr Altlay gave us brilliant service and was a true gentleman.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Aislinn N,

thank you very much for taking the time to give us such cordial feedback. Please be assured that your compliments will be passed on to our personnel in the restaurant, especially to Mr Altlay. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay, staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
My room was beautiful, very comfortable and very clean, the only thing I didn't like was the cover on the bed was too small. Pity because the bed itself was very comfy.
Perfect location to visit the Xmas market.
The spa experience was the highlight of my stay, just fantastic. Would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are an excellent choice
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Moya68,

thank you very much for giving us such excellent feedback. In order to give our guests a relaxing experience at excellent standards and by complying with the historic foundations of our house we have decided to offer one of the best SPA areas in the region which comprises only selected amenities. We are glad to pass on your compliments regarding our staff. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Let me begin by saying that I am writing this whilst I am still in your room, 260.

When I first entered, I thought this is a hotel I can refer to my friends. Unfortunately this place is the very first time that I had such bad feeling.

When I first arrived, i cannot believe that there are remains of food from the previous guest. Literally there were opened foodstuff. I called the front desk at 7.10pm to inform them and no one came until 7.30pm. The lady who came thought the food were mine. I have to tell her that I checked in only an hour ago... baffled but offering little reasoning, she said it might be because the previous guest might have put out a 'do not disturb' sign. I found that extremely disturbing.

By writing this, I hope the management will be able to address this point. I will be reporting this to my company and will advise the striking out of this hotel from our preferred list.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank namohk

Dear Namohk
Thank you for your prompt feedback. Again, we want to apologize for our poor services and we sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us during your next visit to Frankfurt.
Kind regards,

Reviewed December 1, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank namohk
Moritz_Klein, Geschäftsführer at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2015

Dear avolteritornano,

Though we are sorry to hear that you had problems during your recent stay and do not wish to return, we like to thank you for your feedback. We surely failed this time in providing the service we are known for and for that I apologize. I hope that you may reconsider and ring us up when travelling to Frankfurt next.

With kind regards