When one steps into the Steigenberger in Frankfurt, especially into the hallways/room and the great pub-style restaurant, one feels like s/he is being transported back to the days when people 'dressed for dinner' and movie stars stayed there while touring 'on the continent'. You know, back before Frankfurt was more commonly called "Bankfurt" and the city wasn't all-business. (Or, I imagine that's what those days felt like...I'm only 37 so I can't be sure...)
While taking my father on a trip around our ancestral country, I opted to end by staying at the Frankfurter Hof since it has great reviews and looked decadent, but had a pretty good weekend rate. (Like DC, Frankfurt's hotels cost a fortune during the week, but go 'on sale' most weekends.) Indeed, the place is steeping in old-school luxury and my dad just loved it. We got a regular room but it was on a corner so we had a few of two streets and, I suspect, a slightly larger room. The bathroom had a great tub/shower combo and plenty of space as well. Our room rate came with breakfast included and the breakfast buffet is just fantastic in its array of offerings and quality of the food. (Though I will say that, despite the quality, it's still mostly eggs and meat and cheese and bread and the like, so 30-35 euros is quite a stiff price!)
We ate dinner all three nights in the pub-style restaurant that has an opening to the street as well (Dad's a creature of habit and likes good quality food, but not a lot of "fluff"...) All the dishes we tried were really excellent.
My only complaint is that, given the price we paid and the fact that providing internet is almost free these days, I found it really, really not-cool that we had to pay for internet access in the room, and a hefty price at that. It's just price-gouging, and left a bad taste in our mouths, no matter how good the food was.
Overall, if you have the means, the Steigenberger in Frankfurt is a lovely old place and worth the stay. But haggle for free 'net if you agree with me that in this day and age, charging extra for internet at a luxury hotel is just crass.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Established in 1876, the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof is located in the heart of the city in middle of the historic, financial district, near the cathedral where the emperor's coronation once took place. Our hotel attracts global travellers who are as unique as our 303 luxurious rooms. Choose from traditional or modern decor; the extravagant and timeless elegance of the interior fulfils even the most sophisticated desires of our guests. In the morning we welcome you to one of the best breakfasts in the city, with exquisite delicacies served in our "Hofgarten" restaurant. The "Autorenbar" invites you to join us for a royal afternoon tea, before it becomes an evening hotspot in the Main-metropolis serving a choice of select spirits. Spoil your senses by choosing to dine at our Michelin starred restaurant Francais or our iconic restaurant OSCAR*S. Experience the largest SPA in Frankfurt where effortless luxury, creativity, and the art of well-being are combined. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Steigenberger AG, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof Frankfurt
- Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof Hotel Frankfurt