“A bit disappointing...”

Motel Plus Frankfurt am Main
Ranked #168 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Had bad luck: a very hot day in Frankfurt and no air-conditioning in the room. There was a fan that proved very useful, and being able to open the windows helped to get a good night's sleep.
My room was big and comfortable, wi-fi access (only for one device per room) was free, but poor. The hotel is located adjacent to a shopping mall with many restaurants and eateries. There is a subway stop in the mall that connects to downtown Frankfurt.
The hotel seems to be in need of renovation in general, I would say, a bit substandard to most of the Mercure hotels.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 26, 2013

OK, this review is most likely going to be biased, as beginning my stay with a couple of negative experiences most likely affected my view any thing that I would normally find mediocre or even ok.

First of all, I booked this hotel via the website for Fredd Hotel. There was no indication that it was now a Mercure anywhere on that site or in the booking confirmation. So when I arrived in Frankfurt, I drove and walked around the shopping center and parking lot a few times (for 30 minutes or so) trying to find Fredd Hotel. No signs of it. I finally gave up and went to the Mercure, as the directions to the hotel from the website pretty much lead me to the Mercure. I asked if they could tell me where the Fredd Hotel was, and they said I was in it... that it is now the Mercure. Fine, but please put under the Mercure sign (formerly Fredd Hotel), since people can still book via the Fredd Hotel website.

The second issue was a booking issue. I do not know if it was my fault or the hotel's computer system fault upon booking, but they did not have reserved for a room. Based on my reservation confirmation number, they had had me booked 2 weeks prior to my arrival there - the day I made the booking for the room. So I was charged for the room as a no show. There were 2 people at check in, which was late, and 1 of the 2 (the one I had to deal with) was extremely unfriendly. He did find the invoice for the no show for me, but he would not listen to me in any way or was even open to a discussion of what might have gone wrong. Since I could not prove the mistake was on them or me, I ate the charge. (But with the changed name of the hotel with no indication anywhere of the name change, as well as the discourtesy at the front desk, it makes one wonder...) Anyway, he seemed do obsessed with telling me I had been a no show, he didn't seem to care that I still needed a room for the night. I had to forcefully tell him that I still need a room for the night and to please book me in. He finally did, and charged me for the room saying breakfast was included. (More on that later).

I had not asked for the wifi password upon check in, as I am used to hotels like this asking me if I need the wifi password. I was not asked, so I had assumed the info was in the room. I decided it wasn't worth it to deal with the guy again that night (he didn't freely offer the password), so I went to bed. I asked for the password in the morning and was given it.

On to the room... it was hot and stuffy. Fine, it is summer, although the temperature outside was in the low to mid teens. In winter, you would be cozy, but in summer, cracking the window isn't enough. And since the windows open inward (normal), it is difficult to keep the windows open and close the curtains to keep the light out to get some sleep. The room in itself was fine. The TV was old, but I wasn't there to watch TV. But since I was so soured by the reception desk, I found the room especially unacceptable with the stuffiness. Sleeping was difficult as a result of the room and the way I was treated.

I went to breakfast the next morning and found out that my room charge did not in fact include breakfast, as I was told by the man the night before. So I was charged another 15€ for a very subpar breakfast at a German hotel (even for a chain hotel).

The morning staff was very friendly and helpful, by the way. The exact opposite of the night staff. Therefore this review has a rating of 2 instead of 1. The hotel might be fine, but I was treated with such a lack of respect when I arrived, I will never stay there again... nor would I recommend it to anyone, even though the price is good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Katja W
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Very clean and comfortable hotel with large enough rooms and good sleep quality. I have stayed for a week during a business trip. I don't had an opportunity to chose hotel on my own but have been nicely surprised.
Service was very good and the staff was rather friendly and helpful.
The hotel itself can be described as safe, clean and very comfortable .
What concerns the location: it is not in the center of the city but the metro station NordWestZentrum is right under the hotel. What I liked , it is the hotel's elevator which can take you to the underground for metro station and you easily can explore the city by using metro. Another plus of the location is the "NordWestZentrum" shopping mall which shares courtyard with the hotel.
I will recommend this hotel for business and family travelers.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Chelsarm
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here for about a week while on business in Germany. I found the hotel to be very comfortable and modern. The staff were super friendly and helpful. The service and cleanness of the hotel was awesome!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank HONdominik
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel can be classified as 3 star hotel ( but with small stars !!!). The position of the hotel is not central but by U.Bahn you can arrive in 25 min in the city centre. The service is good. The breakfest is also OK. But: arriving by car - no indication of the hotel, in my room there ws a tremendous odour from the bathroom canalization, in order fo fill up thge bad tub it was necessary to wait 30 min..

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I don't think I have stayed in such an old hotel in a LONG time. It definitely needs to be renovated. The sofa "bed" is basically a sofa that folds out onto the floor - glad it was only my child who had to sleep on it. The bathroom showers had mildew in the majority of the grout. It is located right next to a mall with lots of shopping and attached to an indoor pool/spa. So, if you are interested in either of those activities go for it. If your intent is to see Frankfurt, I would select another hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed at this hotel March 26-28. It offers clean, comfortable rooms and excellent breakfast buffet. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. The front staff provided information about sightseeing and printed out train schedules for us. There is a large swimming/sauna facilty next door which hotel guests can used at a reduced rate. The only drawback is the location: it is good for shopping as it is next to a huge shopping center, but it is about 15 minutes from the city center by U Bahn. The U Bahn station is in the shopping center, a couple minutes from the hotel and there are frequent trains.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple