“Clean, modern hotel”

Hotel Hamburger Hof
Ranked #7 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The hotel is handily located right next to the train station which makes it the ideal location for visiting all the main tourist spots in the city. We had a room overlooking the station (and the police station) which meant it was a little noisy at night, especially if the sirens started going off, but not unbearable.

The rooms are clean and modern with good storage space, staff were very helpful, breakfast was decent, and in general it was great value for money.

Only negative points are no free wifi (although there is a computer in reception), and we felt like there was a lot of noise coming from other rooms. This is partly due to the tiled floors meaning everything felt very loud (chairs scraping across the floor, suitcases being wheeled etc), and is partly because we had a room with an adjoining door and whenever people next door did anything it felt like they were right there in the room with us.

Overall though I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and would stay again if I was visiting the city.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is a review of two halves. I stayed at the Hamburger Hof when I arrived in Germany and it was excellent in every way (except that for a hotel on six floors a single lift was inadequate specially at breakfast time). I had a large and well appointed room with a safe that was free. I assume there was wifi but that doesn't affect me. The reception staff were charming and very helpful. Breakfast was a splendid buffet with very good service. My only criticism - the hot dishes weren't hot except, perhaps, if you were a very early riser. But the choice of cold dishes more than made up for it. It's location close to the train station was perfect for me as I used Frankfurt as my base for making excursions to nearby places by train. One of these journeys lasted several days and when I returned to the Hamburger Hof at the end of my holiday I was given the kind of room a solo traveller dreads. It was well appointed but very small and it was more expensive than the double room for single occupation I was given when I first arrived. This was due to the opening of a major trade fair which affects the availability and price of accommodation in the city.

Room Tip: Frankfurt is famous for Trade Fairs. If you aren't actually attending one of these then avoid pe...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This hotel was clean, and freshly decorated. The service was extremely helpful, even packed breakfasts for us since we were leaving before the free breakfast was served. While general area is very spotty - some streets nice, some really not - I would stay there again for great access to the train station. Easy train shuttle to and from airport is quick and inexpensive. Our bathrooms were surprisingly large for a European hotel.

1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We reachxpress [Switzerland] we were in no mood to go to Geneva/ Interlaken etc. and spent d 2 days in n around Frankfurt. The auto show was on and a lady in the DB information counter asked us to go to their affiliated Inter City Hotel that was next to the main station [the exit gate towards 22 no. platform]. We asked for a double room and in 150 euros they said they can accomodate but when we went to d 'room' we realised it's like a small single bed kept under a staircase sort of sloping structure and not a proper room!! Immediately I went down and expressed our inability to stay in that claustrophobic space. After a strong protest, they 'unlocked' the credit card and we checked in to this hotel which is next-door. Sandra the english-speaking receptionist here was so good and she showed us the nice room [120 euros] & also guided us where all to go etc. Free 24 hrs. access to wi-fi in the lobby & english newspaper AND a hearty breakfast next morning! Very good experience. Room rates are down in the week-ends. Location is excellent. Staff are helpful.

Room Tip: we were in the roadside room but with AC on and the soundproof windows no noise filtered in.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The location is perfect only a few hundred meters from the central train station and so also close to the S-bahn that takes you to the Airport. Also only a few blocks from the Frankfurt Messe, you can walk there in 15-20 minutes.
There is a bright clean lobby with a few seats. Our room was a junior suite. The design modern, bright and chique. It was quiet we Heard no noise from traffic or neighbours. It had a living room area with chair, sofa and television separate from the bedroom. A coffee making machine where you also can make tea. Air conditioning worked well. A safety deposit box in the room free of charge. Another television in bedroom. They had many channels but only a couple in english. Bathroom had a bathtub with a shower and was extremely clean, almost looked new. Breakfast was a buffet with a very good variety of things. Scrambled eggs, hot sausages bacon. Bread in different forms with cheese ham and other things. Yoghurt muesli and fruit sallad. Coffee is served at the table and was quickly and often refilled to our delight. The staff overall very friendly and helpful. It was an extraordinary stay for a smaller hotel of this size. One can really feel that there is a good atmosphere here. The only big drawback and the reason for the 4 grading is the wifi. Its available but not for free. This I think is not what one expects from a modern hotel like this. However I do really recommend this hotel if you want to visit Frankfurt and arrive by air or train. Its also fully possible to walk the 20 minutes to city center shopping or if you like take the S-bahn or U-bahn that stops at central station.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Swedish_Traveller
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The rooms are small by American standards, but they are a real value. If you are looking for an affordable place to stay in the city center this is a great option. The rooms are clean and contemporary, the bathroom was very clean and new. walking distance to many attractions in the city center.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the back of the hotel if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed here a few times before and love the location, just next to Bahnhof. It´s ideally located to nearly everything, the fair halls, concert arenas etc.
Small rooms, but clean and modern.
Service is very good and friendly. Breakfast was okay too.
They apparantly have free wi-fi but I was unable to connect to it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business