We stayed at this hotel on a visit to Frankfurt late May/ early June. The hotel is well placed, in a quiet side street, with easy access to tram and underground ... although it's just a steady 15- 20 minutes walk to the river Maine, shops, cathedral and Roma. The rooms are attractive, spacious (for a small hotel) and have comfortable beds. Bed linen, towels, curtains etc are of good quality as is the decor. Breakfast is good, though a touch expensive at 14 euro pp, with a selection of cereals, croissants, jams, fruit, yogurt, cold meats, cheeses etc. The coffee machine grinds fresh beans to make several blends of black or milky coffee ... or you can be served coffee at the table. There are no evening meal facilities but there are numerous restaurants within easy walking distance ... Italian, Indian, Chinese, Turkish etc, etc. TV reception is OK and there are English, French, Spanish channels as well as German.
However, we found several annoying niggles during our 6 night stay which could easily be put right. The WiFi leaves a lot to be desired. Poor or no signal even on the first floor interrupts even basic surfing, accessing emails etc. It costs 5 euro per night but is free if you have booked through the hotel's own website. But beware!! Shop around for a deal through agencies first. 10 to 20% discount on the basic room rate is often to be found if you're prepared to shop around.
The room has tea/ coffee making facilities which is OK if you like unsweetened black coffee. Only one teabag and sufficient whitener and sugar for one cup is provided per day, and even just a thin plastic stirrer instead of a teaspoon. In a 4 star hotel this just has to be tight-fisted budgeting by management. Annoying also was the mini sized kettle which had no on/off switch. To stop it boiling away you have to unplug, which surely is a safety issue.
There is no bar. Either visit a cafe or pay the exorbitant mini-bar prices.
Also, in the bathroom, just a hairdryer. Bulk soap dispensers for handbasin and shower are annoying in this standard of hotel and smacks of cost-cutting. No shoe-shine, comb, or other 4 star extras are supplied.
Would we return? Yes. Staff are ultra polite at all hours. Always, without exception, 'Guten Tag', 'Hallo' and smile makes a stay extra special. But next time we'll take our own teabags, sugar and powdered milk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star rated Hotel Alexander am Zoo features 66 air conditioned guest rooms and suites - some with kitchenette for extended stays. 2 Meeting rooms o the top floor with a roof terrace as well as an underground car park. The location near the Frankfurt Zoo in a quiet side street - the U-bahn U7 Habsburgerallee is 2 Minutes away. Many Restaurants are in the vicinity. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, HRS, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Alexander am Zoo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander Am Zoo Frankfurt
- Alexander Am Zoo Hotel Frankfurt