“Average hotel with good location”

National Hotel - Frankfurt
Ranked #170 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I would rate this a 3 star at best. Whereas the front desk staff was very nice, the hotel itself is nothing special. The room was clean but the bathroom was dirty. Breakfast is served until 10:30 and I entered the dining room at 10 and had to look for staff to be seated and to get a cup of coffee. It was a buffet that was 75% cleaned out. I asked for a croissant and was told 10 minutes. I waited 35 minutes and left because the server that I asked, was on his coffee break. He must have forgotten.

The hotel location is excellent. When leaving the main train station go out the right side entrance and across the street to the hotel. I had gone out the front entrance then had to cross many streets to go around. I did this because I was not sure where the hotel was. Once I landed on my feet at the hotel, it was easy to figure things out.

This is an OK hotel. I would stay there again but would not have any expectations or plan to eat there. This is a 3 star at best.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for National Hotel - Frankfurt

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Visited Frankfurt recently for Christmas markets and stayed here for four nights, must say that i was more than pleased with the hotel for the price we paid,Very comfortable beds for a great nights sleep with everything you would need to hand .The staff were more than helpful and accommodating at all times. The situation of the hotel is ideal very easy access to the S-ban and U-ban stops, but you really can walk to most areas of interest within 10 mins.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back of hotel on a higher floor
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2012

A nice hotel for unbelievable 55 euros per night! Definite value for money. Service is good. Good rooms. Next to train station. additional charged for Wifi, but not expensive. It's an ideal hotel if are just transiting Frankfurt. Only negative aspect is chaotic train station neighbourhood. However, with excellent tram systems, you can reach any part of frankfurt within minutes.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The big selling points for this hotel are its location just 100 yards from the railway terminus and its price, which seems relatively inexpensive for central Frankfurt. It’s an older building but in good condition. My room was a twin with a slightly odd layout; the two beds were nose to tail rather than side-by-side but that’s because the room was long and narrow. The bathroom was very good – blindingly white and very clean. Internet access is €5 for 12 hours.

If you have time to kill or want to exercise, the hotel is 5 minutes from a very pleasant riverside walk.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The situation of the hotel is very well place in proxsimity of the main station.
If you go with expection of 4* quality im affraid you will be disappointed. I stayed in a single room and it was very single but clean. No aircon, the chandelier or excuse for one had seen better days but worked, the room had obviously had been smoked in as marks from the cigarettes had been left on the bathroom shelf tiles. The bathroom had been decorated but only a trickle of water left the shower head over the bath.
The towels sadly I would have thrown away or used them to clean my car.
Sadly again you have to pay for the internet and no English TV but to be fair I couldn't find them.
I booked the hotel on lastminute.com and this was not the orginal hotel I found out after I paid for the designated hotel of my choice but I was told it was fully booked and they put me into an equilivant hotel .....this was not the case. Just a word of warning
The Staff at reception was pleasent but the bar staff did not care as the soccer was on the TV. I hope this helps just be aware that lastminute.com may not be the cheapest price.

Room Tip: 330 not a good room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
frankfurtwolf, Public Relations Manager at National Hotel - Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Dear Lee,

thank you so much for having taken the time to rate our Hotel National Frankfurt in such detail.
On one hand, we are of course happy that you liked the location of the hotel and found our front desk staff to be pleasant.

However, we are of course not glad to see all your other comments about the room, the bathroom and state of the towels. We do sincerely apologize for these unfortunate events that you experienced. And certainly that we did not fulfil your expections of a 4 star hotel here at the Hotel National Frankfurt.
Our flat screen TV's are brand new and we would like to point out that we do offer several English speaking programs. Your comment helps us though that we have to do a better job to explain the various programs on a display next to the TV.

We do also understand your frustration about your experience with the mentioned online travel agency, which is obviously not in our control. This is of course a good opportunity to point out to other guests that if you book on our own official website, we do take responsibility for any errors we made there.

Thank you very much again for bringing up your valuable points in your comments here on Tripadvisor and we do appreciate that and hope you will be back at our Hotel National Frankfurt upon your next visit so that we can show you that we can do better

very best regards
Igal Lemler
Managing Director
Hotel National Frankfurt

Reviewed October 2, 2012

LOCATION: The main reason to stay here is for its proximity to the train station. The neighborhood immediately surrounding the hotel is kind of gritty, but doesn’t seem unsafe. About 4 blocks away you can take a pleasant walk along the river and into areas with lots of typical (if not touristy) restaurants, shops, and promenaded streets.

ROOM: Big! The décor is dated, but in an elegant way, with chandeliers and high ceilings. It feels like this must have been THE place to stay in the 1950s.

BEDDING: Passed my bedbug inspection. I worried that the lumpy pillows felt like they were stuffed with dozens of golf-sized nerf balls, but they turned out to be very comfortable.

NOISE: None whatsoever. Even though ours was one of the rooms that opened onto the elevator foyer (on the 2nd floor), the double entry doors blocked out all noise.

AMENITIES: bath/hair gel, shoe cleaner, tissues. Good hair dryer, magnifying mirror was adhered to the mirror about two feet away, but at least it was there. Keyed safe was free, but too small for a laptop. Adjustable-height shower head with good water pressure.

STAFF: Helpful when asked.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Callejera1
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The biggest advantage of this hotel is it's location and proximity to the train station and shopping district.
Rooms are old but clean.Mine was a single room and I did feel claustrophobic.Could have been a little bigger.Bathrooms are big,bigger than my room infact.Cleanliness we OK.Staff helpful. My room wasn't noisy but then it had no view and gave a feeling of suffocation.Breakfast was good.There is a nice Indian Resto Gaylord next to it where is used to have my dinner and lunch and the food is good there.Missed the AC badly in night while sleeping.
Not bad considering the price.BTW I got my stay extended by few hours and thus payed 50 euros.I was told the rack rate was 74 Euro for 24 hours.While after few minutes later only a young man entered they quoted the rack rate to be 70 euro for the single room.So different rates were quoted to two different people within minutes.

Room Tip: Towards the backside has no view.very suffocating.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
frankfurtwolf, Public Relations Manager at National Hotel - Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear kaushikid111,

we would like to thank you for your upfront and detailed comment about our Hotel National Frankfurt and the time you took to do this.
We are glad to read that you found the location, the breakfast and the cleanliness of the hotel to be very good.
Sorry that the room you were in was not large enough for you. We do offer, of course, several different roomtypes and locations at very different price points so that we feel that there is usually a choice for every budget.
This brings us to your comment about the price difference that apparently was quoted to another guest. We have tried to investigate this and our explanation for this is: You asked for an extention of your stay which was given to you at the mentioned amount along with the explanation that your normal roomrate would be 74 Euros.
When the other guest arrived and asked for the roomrate, he was quoted the rate that was valid on that day which was 4 Euros less.
Like many other hotels, we do offer different rates on different days, depending on demand. But also, as mentioned before, we offer various roomtypes with slightly different rates. So, this must have been the confusion. We do apologize for any bad feelings this may have caused.

If your travels bring you back to Frankfurt, we would be very pleased to host you again at our Hotel National Frankfurt and show you our rooms personally so that you can make your choice while you are with us.

Igal Lemler