“Number 1 for art in Frankfurt”
Review of Staedel Museum

Ranked #1 of 441 things to do in Frankfurt
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Considered the city's finest art museum, the Städel holds a fantastic collection of works from the 14th century through the present day.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The impressionists collection is very nice and the Old Masters offer some peculiarities but the largest part of the collection is devoted to the modern art and that is a "hit&miss" as far as I am concerned.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,864)

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This building gives everyone from the people who think they know art to those of us who just enjoy the new experience. There are great works of the masters we have heard of and those we are just learning to enjoy. The staff however are to uptight and need to relax maybe by uping the doseage on their meds.
One really needs to have an open mind on the modern art experience because I for one feel all I need is a 26er of rum and two cans of paint and wa lla I'm and artisit. I have tried to understand what they were going for but I guess unless I am wearing a helmet and smoking crack I won't. However its worth exploring and this building gives you that wonderful chance.

2  Thank livingmauitime g
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I'm a fan of modern art after 1800, so I can't say much about their pre-1800 collection, which seems sizable. There were at least 3 works by my favorite artist, Paul Klee, here, spread throughout the museum. There were many other works I enjoyed seeing, by both well-known international artists and more obscure German artists. There was a Warhol of Goethe I've never seen before. Generally only 1 or 2 paintings per artist for artists on the level of Matisse, Monet, Manet, and Rousseau, but the paintings they do have are gems. Also, they allow you to take photos without flash, which I very much appreciate. I needed the entire afternoon to see everything I wanted to see, which made me regret not buying the two-day museum card. Besides their permanent collection, their current small exhibition of newly-acquired graphics and prints on the first floor is also definitely worth seeing.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Dark walls, some areas appear cluttered. We had recently been to the Gulbenkian Museum in Lisbon and this Museum (at a 10 euro per person cost) paled in comparison in quality and feel. We were disappointed.

1  Thank insomma
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Although there is a modern art and a contemporary art exhibit at the Städel, the real highlight is the beautiful collection of old masters, dating from 1300-1800. Paintings by Rembrandt, Vermeer and van Eyck, as well as several other Dutch artists will keep your attention for hours. The works are placed in such a way that you are literally drawn into their detail, without getting the feeling that "well, I've seen stuff like this before". Take the time to really appreciate the craftsmanship of some of these works, especially from the 1500-1600 period.

2  Thank Thunderbird12