“Beautiful collection of old masters”
Review of Staedel Museum

Ranked #1 of 434 things to do in Frankfurt
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Considered the city's finest art museum, the Städel holds a fantastic collection of works from the 14th century through the present day.
Wiesbaden, Germany
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 217 helpful votes
“Beautiful collection of old masters”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Although there is a modern art and a contemporary art exhibit at the Städel, the real highlight is the beautiful collection of old masters, dating from 1300-1800. Paintings by Rembrandt, Vermeer and van Eyck, as well as several other Dutch artists will keep your attention for hours. The works are placed in such a way that you are literally drawn into their detail, without getting the feeling that "well, I've seen stuff like this before". Take the time to really appreciate the craftsmanship of some of these works, especially from the 1500-1600 period.

2 Thank Thunderbird12

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Frankfurt's Finest Art Collection is Less Than Hoped For”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had put off going to the Stadel until I had enough time to take in what is called the finest collection of art pieces outside Berlin. I was expecting more I guess but then I live in London and we really do have tons of amazing galleries and museums, so I am trying to measure my review. It costs 12 Euros to get in on a weekday and I think that is like so much in Frankfurt; over priced. I went up to the Old Masters and while I found many familiar to me, I was a little disappointed that the Masters were very poorly represented. There is one stunning Botticelli and some glorious Dutch and Flemish works, but on the whole underwhelming. To add to that there are the petty rules that are not made clear to you on entry, but by attendants who insist you don't carry your own coat and then take issue with a tiny back pack- 25 x 15cm, tiny- which apparently I might have damaged artworks with by recklessly swinging round.. then the attendant who snatched my map out of my hand to tell me where I was ( I was happily working it out for myself) without my asking him and I left eventually feeling thoroughly at odds with the place.

3 Thank louby64
Mississauga, Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“unforgetable”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

awesome collection, plenty of room to enjoy and a very quiet place. There are master pieces all around the museum plus a complete collection from local artists plus an incredible modern art collection downstairs

1 Thank mario d
Chicago, Illinois
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Major Art Museum in Frankfurt”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is a great collection that is nicely presented. It is well worth a visit. It is in the museum district on the river, which is a very scenic area. The collection leans toward German art, but they have a wide selection of works. We really enjoyed it.

2 Thank kwh
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“An excellent gallery.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

An excellent gallery. A welcoming coffee shop and book shop, and even a restaurant. We went primarily to see the collection of late 19th and early 20th century art, and we were not disappointed. The audio guide was particularly good, as for many of the works they had more than one commentary, and so you could have the benefit of two or three perspectives on the picture. There was floor of older art, and a floor of modern art as well, and it would take a whole day to see everything.

2 Thank NjgelF