“Somewhere in the Middle”

Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #49 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Toronto
“Somewhere in the Middle”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I usually like Holiday Inn Express properties, which is why we chose this for our one night in Frankfurt. I liked that it was near the central station, which made it easy to get to the airport in the morning (dropping off our rental car at central station was a nightmare, though, definitely choose another location if you have the option). Other than proximity to the station, this location doesn't have much to offer, although it's only about a fifteen minute walk to prettier areas of the city.

There are pros and cons to staying here.

Pros:
- Room was spacious and clean.
- Bed was very comfortable.
- Bathroom is larger than most in Europe and the shower head was excellent.
- Breakfast is included.
- Price is very reasonable.

Cons:
- When we checked in, they asked for some extra personal information which I had never been asked for at a hotel before. When I asked why, as I am cautious about giving out that sort of information, the staff couldn't answer. Another staff member came over and said it was for 'security' but couldn't clarify what that meant. In today's day and age If you are going to ask for personal information, you should be able to explain why you need it.
- Location is not very attractive and you don't feel particularly safe walking around in the evening. It does not give a very good representation of Frankfurt.
- Staff at check out was very brusque and not especially friendly.

It's hard to explain, but this hotel just didn't feel as welcoming as most of the Holiday Inn properties we've stayed at. I can't really put my finger on exactly why, as there wasn't a specific incident, but my husband and I both agreed that when we return to Frankfurt we will look for another place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HIEXFRAAD, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear kdlToronto,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on your stay with us!

Reading your review I got an impression that we did not really live up to your expectations which I am sincerely sorry about! We normally collect some additional information about our guests at check in. This data might include such information as date of birth, home address, contact details, passport or any other ID number, car plates if applicable. The issue is that it is officially required by German law about the data collection that whenever a person from a foreign country checks in at the Hotel, they have to provide the basic details: home address and a passport number. This information is only used for internal purposes and is not transmitted anywhere outside the Hotel. In a certain way it is also for your own safety in case of an accident or any unfortunate happening-you are registered with a particular Hotel and sometimes additional actions are requested from the Hotel staff in order to rescue the guest out of the trouble. It is a pity our staff members could not explain it to you at check in and I hope that I made it a little clearer now.

I am glad that you enjoyed the room and the breakfast, though and I hope that you give us a chance to improve and to welcome you with the quality of service which IHG hotels are so proud of. We take your comments regarding our staff members very seriously and will definitely take some corrective actions in order to live up to your expectations during your next visit.

I wish you a good day!

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

As we had only a one full day stay in Frankfurt at the beginning of our Europe trip, we decided to stay in a more budget style hotel. We had no issues with the hotel- room was very clean, although small but adequately furnished, breakfast was very good and included in the room charge, staff friendly and helpful, air conditioning effective and I honestly can't remember but I think wifi was also included. We traveled with another couple who would concur with this. Our only issue was, as we are both not small people, the bed size was just a little too cosy for us ( we have a king at home). The others are used to a small queen sized bed and found it to be ok. I think the hotel says rooms have a double bed and this is exactly what it was ( although perhaps a bit longer) but we found that many "double" beds in Europe were act sully queen or even king sized beds. So this is not a reflection on HI, just a comment. Otherwise, no complaints and would HIExpress again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nagatron
Dear Nagatron,

Thank you so much for your review!

You are absolutely right to say that double beds in Europe are normally a bit smaller than in the U.S. or Australia and I sincerely hope that this fact did not cause you too much of discomfort! We are really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a good time in Frankfurt! On behalf of our Hotel team I would like to thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof and express the hope to see you again in the nearest future!

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This holiday inn express is about 3 blocks away from the main station. The problem with this is that it's a bit too far to walk if you have a bit of luggage but too close for taxis as they won't make the short journey especially if they have been waiting on the taxi rank for a long time. Not to mention if you get lost. So big tip here is to make sure you know where you are going if coming from the train station preferably with someone who can help you with ur luggage. Or catch a taxi from the airport (15 mins away no traffic Except if you are coming from Frankfurt Hahn airport which is 200kms away which apparently someone mistakenly did at €2 per km)

The rooms are modern, clean and well appointed. There are coffee making facilities but no free wifi (I don't understand why they need to penny pinch and charge €5 per day).

It would have been a lovely experience except for the staff. The first time I stayed I just thought it was over efficient German custom but having returned after 2 weeks of touring around Germany I realised it was as I has suspected, arrogance misplaced. This is a holiday inn for goodness sake, 'express' even. So it is for the budget conscious travellers. I can not understand the arrogance the staff at reception showed. I had arrived after a 13 hr flight not having slept for 36hrs, early (7am) at the hotel. My room was not ready which was understandable but was told , 'could be ready in an hour or two'. I went into the centre and killed time wandering the city. After 3 hrs i called the hotel and asked if my room was ready. Yes we have your room ready was the reply. With this happy thought I walked back to the hotel freezing my buns off as it was a chilly 12C in the middle of summer. I asked the front desk if my room was ready and was about to say I had called to check that it was. However I was told 'no' by the front desk staff. When I explained I had called and I was told it was, another staff (presumably the manageress) intervened and said they had a room but it wasn't the intended room. I said I was so exhausted I would gladly take the room available. Communication was in general curt to the point of rude. In another incident I asked if I could take my breakfast up to my room as the breakfast area was very crowded. The answer from the front desk staff was sharp and without explanation 'NO' and then he continued with what ever he was doing. That was the reply to my request. On my second stay I asked for an iron and an ironing board. I had to go down to reception to pick it up. The next day I checked out. As I had prepaid for everything I left very little time for the process. I handed the key card to the receptionist and I was about to leave. She said there was something outstanding. . the iron and ironing board. I said I had left them in the room (thinking 'of course'. Where else would it be. I didn't steal it and put an ironing board in my duffle bag). In front of a lobby full of guests and with very little time to check out, she made me leave all my luggage unsecured in lobby to go upstairs to my room and get the iron and ironing board. I looked ridiculous lugging it into the lobby, completely humiliated in front of other hotel guests who were laughing at the sight. Would I stay again at a hotel which humilates their guests? The staff make you feel they are just tolerating your presence to the point of suffering the tourists. Arrogance at a budget hotel . . what a joke! It's not worth the humiliation.

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear ioete11,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We take all reviews seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

it is very unfortunate that you stay with us was not what you expected. I sincerely apologies for the issues you had during check in and for the dissatisfaction you have encountered with our staff. It has always been our goal to ensure that every guest is satisfied and we deeply regret that we have failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

You experience is definitely not reflective of the high quality of service that we pride ourselves with. Your comments will be certainly looked into and will take actions accordingly. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service.
Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Services in this HI Express reflect the standard Express pattern in Western Europe - including a self service breakfast free-of-additional-charge. The hotel has been opened in a renovated office building. As a result, the floor plans are somewhat complicated - in a way one could imagine encountering in an old hotel property in London, UK. From the elevator hall the floors can be entered on both sides. What may bother the guests is the fact that the floors have automated light control systems. Literarally, the guest must walk into darkness - and sensors will then trigger on the lights. The same applies when opening the room door.

I stayed in this property twice during a Frankfurt trip. The light problem bothered me during the first stay, but I did not take up the matter with the front desk. During the second stay (some days later) some lighths seemed to be on permanently. Perhaps someone had complained.

I have encountered a similar lights-upon-sensor-activation in a Holiday Inn in France. Perhaps some EU energy funding is available to properties with maximum light and energy control.

Rooms with windows to the backyard open an interesting view to a seemingly low end rental house. With lights on in the evening, the house seems to comprise one room units with rather modest facilities. I am aware of the fact that the German rental market offers variety, but I would not have connected such housing scene with downtown Frankfurt. Some guests may think they are in an Asian location. No, but the tradition of "Hinterhoefe" (back yard) is alive and well behind of updated facades.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Maitland55
Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I am a frequent travel to Frankfurt, staying in the area around the Hauptbahnhof. This means that I have become accustomed to postage stamp sized single rooms, with an even smaller bathroom.

This was my first time staying at the Holiday Inn Express Hauptbahnhof and it was definitely a very mixed experience. Frankfurt has been suffering unseasonably hot weather this summer and that prompted me to change my reservation from an un-air-conditioned hotel to the HI which was air-conditioned. More about that later.

The good:

The location is only a few blocks away from the train station and a couple of blocks away from the red light district, far enough that it isn’t an issue. There is a reasonable selection of restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Elbestrasse is a relatively low traffic, quiet street.

The room was more than amble for a single room in Frankfurt. The bathroom was also larger than typical for the area; it was shower only, with no tub. It was clean and well maintained – the hotel is only a couple of years old.

Internet was included in my rate, it is €5 per day otherwise. I would categorize it as being of adequate speed.

There was a reasonable selection of cold items, cereal and pastries on the breakfast bar which is included in the room rate.

The desk staff was helpful and professional through-out my visit – including the issues that follow.

The Not So Good:

I checked in on a Sunday and internet was not available until late on Monday. There was some type of technical issue and I suspect nothing was done to address the issue until Monday.

The reason I was staying at the HI was the air-conditioning. It ceased to work on Friday. I persevered until Sunday, when I made alternative reservations and checked out. Again, no work was performed on Saturday or Sunday, with only vague promises that it would be fixed on Monday.

When I checked in, my credit card was charged for the room rate for the entire length of my 12 day stay. I was assured that any unused nights would be refunded, should I check out early. This is the only time I have encountered this practice in Frankfurt on a cancelable reservation – pre-authorizing - yes; actually charging – no.

This did present a problem when I went to check out early. As I understand it, because my reservation was made through a travel agent, the system would not permit my checking out early due to problems with refunding the commission on the already charged balance. After some firm, but cordial conversation, the desk clerk refunded my unused portion and said she would “sort it out” later.

Conclusion:

Oddly enough, the technical issues notwithstanding, I will almost certainly give the Holiday Inn Express another try. The location, cleanliness and reasonable rate are enough to warrant the risk that the issues were a one-time occurrence.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HIEXFRAAD, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear EasyMark,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Hotel!

We really appreciate your understanding and sincerely apologize to you for the inconvenience caused by the technical problems which occured during your stay with us. Our air conditioning system got out of order due to extreme heat, not typical for this area which was there for about two weeks and as you have mentioned was fixed on Monday as the problem was quite global and needed professional assistance which was not avaliable during the weekend.

I am really happy that you are ready to give us another chance to welcome you again! It means a lot to us and I can assure you that we will do our best to make up for the inconvenience and make your stay with us trully enjoyable! We are looking forward to seeing you again!

Hong Kong
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

we stayed in this hotel for a night. It has all the necessities you need of a hotel. Free breakfast, nice shower system, nice bed, great location to the main train station as well as city centre. Reasonable price!

Definitely will stay at holiday inn's hotels again!

• Stayed July 2013
HIEXFRAAD, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear MiTa527,

Thank you for your review!
It is great that you took the time to write about your experience with us!

The opinion of our guests is extremely important for us as it helps us to get better and to keep the quality of the service on the high level-so it makes us really happy to get to know that you had a pleasant stay at our Hotel! On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt -City Hauptbahnhof and to express the hope that we will welcome you again during your next visit to Frankfurt!

Faro, Portugal
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed for one night in Frankfurt in this hotel and I really enjoyed the experience. Nice rooms with AC, very clean and a great breakfast. The location is excellent. If it had free wireless, it would be just perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear travelerout,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our Hotel!
It is a real pleasure to read such feedbacks from our guests!

Regarding the free Internet access, I would highly recommend you to join our IHG Rewards Club as it will give you an opportunity to use all the multiple benefits specially designed for the members of this program. As an example, in our Hotel all the Gold and Platinum members are enjoying the free Internet access and a 10% discount on the beverages in our bar. Nearly all IHG Hotels all around the world have something special to offer to our IHG Rewards Club guests. I sincerely hope that we will to see you again in the nearest future and wish you all the best for your upcoming trips!