“Shelter for mice, and food isn't even good for a take away”
Review of Leib & Seele

Leib & Seele
Ranked #111 of 2,601 Restaurants in Frankfurt
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt
Reviewed June 18, 2012

First let me explain the title.

We were sat outside on this occasion and towards the end of our meal, we noticed a small mouse running around and trying to climb up the walls. When the waitress came by, I pointed it out to her. Her reaction was "aww, how sweet". Understandably, I enquired how we can be assured that the mouse did not come from the kitchen. She replied, "Oh it didn't. Even mice need to find shelter when its raining".
Now I'm sure for any person, seeing a rodent or vermin within the vicinity of the dining area is not an encouraging experience in any circumstance.

So, the situation is this: our best friend from Serbia visited us in Frankfurt and we took him into the centre for a small tour and then for dinner. Well known for their schnitzel, we headed into Lieb & Seele. Despite the damp weather, it was warm enough for us to sit outside. Even though the tables were covered with the patio umbrellas, they were not fully covered so the table to seat 8 could only accommodate 6 without someone getting wet.

We were served our menus but it took a while before the waitress returned again to take our order. First we ordered our drinks, and when she returned with them about 5 minutes later, she took our food order. By now, the table next to us had cleared and 10 minutes later it was filled again.

Fast forward another 50 minutes we were still waiting for our food. We were also joined by two more friends by this point. By now, we were all getting rather hungry, despite making good conversations between us. 15 minutes later we see our waitress approaching with plates of food, only to stop by the table before us and serve them their food.

Unhappy, I asked the waitress about our food. She said she didn't know, so I enquired why customers who arrive and order after ourselves get their food first. She said she will look into the kitchen. Noticing now that there were two more people in our party, she asked for their drink order. Two beers they requested, to which she responded that they would be on her. Little consolation for those of us that are actually hungry and have been waiting an hour for food.

"Is there anything else?" The waitress asked the rest of us.
"No thanks, just the food. We're hungry" I replied.

Ten minutes later she replied with the beers, followed by two other waiters who carried our plates of food.

The food we received was less than satisfactory. Having to wait an hour for a green salad without any updates or notice of delay, which ended up being drenched in oil and viniagarette is totally unacceptable.

Ten minutes later, another friend of ours arrived. The waitress saw her and took her order of a glass of water. "We only have it in a bottle" The waitress replied to which my friend accepted, and off the waitress scuttled back inside the restaurant. By this time, my friends and I had finished our meal. My friend and I decided to take my Serbian friend on a walk at which we headed towards the Rathaus. Having returned over half an hour later (I know this because we went round the square as it was blocked by a Choir Concert of some sort, over the bridge with Homer's quote, to the old fashioned Citroen Van selling speciality wines and back again) the first thing I noticed that my friend still had no water.

We joked that they must be cleansing the rain water in the back but seriously, for a bottled water to not arrive within ten minutes is more than disasterous. Perhaps they had forgotten about her and only remembered when they saw me return but there is not one place in the world where a bottled water would not arrive within ten minutes, let alone over half an hour. Again the waitress said that the water would be on her.

We were there for maybe another hour talking, chatting, catching up, when we decided to pay.

We noticed a small mouse running around and trying to climb up the walls. When the waitress came by, I pointed it out to her...

Naturally we split the bill and paid for our own orders, and the waitress asked my two friends about their beers.
"Do we have to pay?" they asked, knowing that she had told them that the beers were on her.
"Of course she replied" she hesitated slightly, also knowing that she had told them that the beers were on her. There goes the consolation for the late food then.

Finally, our friend that arrived late ordered a small snack to take away, which took about twenty minutes. That wouldn't be too bad had the chef's not drenched her meal in oil and vinaigrette, which subsequently leaked into her Longchamp bag and drowned her two mobile phones, damaging the both of them.

I am glad I was in the company of good friends but for the lacklustre service, the apalling standard of food and the fact that the restaurant offers shelter to mice in the rain are more than enough reasons for me to never return to this restaurant again.

2  Thank LeHobHob

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I visited this place twice while I was in Frankfurt, and loved it both times.

The first time we sat indoors where it did get a bit loud. Otherwise everything was quite good.

The second time we came right before a huge rainstorm rolled it. It was the nigt of a Germany Chelsea match so we dodged the large crowd indoors and enjoyed the storm while feasting under massive umbrellas and warmed by space heaters. It was glorious. :)

1  Thank BigIrishGod
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The acoustics in this place are pretty bad, which makes it extremely loud in there, and hence very difficult to have a conversation. In addition, the service is pretty unfriendly.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

This restaurant has been adviced by the recepcionist at our hotel, and it´s a good choice. The food is good, the service slow (restaurant is always full) and the price average. We had a selection of sausages plus a soup for our young kid and we must say that we could not finish as it was so much food. For people who likes places with lots of movement and young people!

1  Thank LMCJR
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We went for dinner. Close to our hotel (Zentrum) and were pleasantly surprised. Cute little place with lots of outdoor seating at picnic tables with large umbrellas. We ate inside as it was raining. Still warm and inviting- and packed! I believe we had an English menu option, but our lack of German proved to be a bit of a challenge for our waiter. The beer was delightful and there were lots of good choices on the menu. We had a Chicken Cordon Bleu and a Schnitzel with mushrooms. Both were good but the schnitzel was delicious! Portions were huge, and the server asked if we disliked the meals, because we only finished half of the plate! (we are NOT dainty eaters!)

2  Thank Sandy S