“Everything else was good except.....”

Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport
Ranked #23 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I arrived Frankfurt airport at 8 in the morning. After a long flight, I decided to head to one of the cafe to enjoy some nice coffee and warm croissant before checking-in since I was early.

After a fulfilling breakfast, I reached the hotel around 9am. The reception said the hotel was full last night and there were no rooms available. She also mentioned that the standard check-in time was at 2pm and the earliest the hotel can allow check-in without any additional fees is at 12pm. I had no choice but to wait and hang around the lobby with 3 other guests that arrived on the same 13 hour flight.

At 10.30am, one of the receptionist came round the lobby and announced that rooms were available and guests can proceed to check-in
Everyone was eager to check-in especially after long flights and all rushed to the reception.
As I was a little slow, I ended up last in the queue.

Strangely, the 2 in front went back to the seats in the lobby instead of heading up to their rooms. When it was my turn, i realized what happened. It was 10.40am.
The receptionist said that the early check-in fee (39 Euros) was applicable. However, if I can wait until 12pm, I will not be charged.....

Interesting......how regimental...

All 3 guests opted to sit and idle at the hotel lobby for another 1 hr 50 minutes to 'enjoy' the free check-in.

The room was clean and nice.
However, they only provided very basic amenities; 3 bottles (shampoo, conditioner, body wash) and a small bar of soap.

After unpacking, I realized I forgot my toothbrush.
I immediately called housekeeping to request for a toothbrush. The person who answered the phone sounded puzzled and said he needs to call me back. After 15 minutes, another person called to inform that toothbrush is only provided in the hotel next door (Hilton) and not in Hilton Garden and I will have to buy the toothbrush from their little shop next to the reception.....

Oooh...another interesting encounter.

One good thing about the hotel. It is brand new and the bed is definitely 5-star comfort.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,697)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Luckily we had only one luggage, but still we were standing on each others toes while passing in the room. First I thought it was a single but amenities were for two and with that there was nothing to annotate. Unopening windows are narrow which increases the agonizing atmosphere.
All the public areas are spacious and airy.
Breakfast service was superior as well as the quality and quantity of servings.
Located in the Squire, next to Hilton Airport, there are many restaurants and shops around.
Gym and sauna were modern and well equipped. Special multi-shower was ineffective with week water pressure.

Room Tip: Maybe the park side rooms would be nicer?
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
FRAAPGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Seppo R,
Thank you for posting your review and especially for your great comments on the service in our restaurant.
The rooms in our focus-service Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport are indeed smaller than the rooms you might be used to in a full-service Hilton Hotel. If you bring a significant amount of luggage, or in case you plan on staying for many days, we certainly can understand the recommendation to stay at the full service Hilton Frankfurt Airport, next door to the HGI.
As you will find in many new airport hotels nowadays, the windows can not be opened. This allows the hotel to carefully control the air quality and air flow throughout the hotel. This also avoids any noise from entering the carefully soundproofed building. Clean air and quieteness has proven to be very important in general to our guests.
As you might have noticed, the state of art Precor Fitness equipment also features integrated satellite TV with channels from around the globe! Both the sauna and steam room are also free of charge for all our guests.
Seppo R, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport in the near future!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Discovered this brand-new gem on my last trip to Franfurt. Fantastic location, directly connected to the airport and right above the train station with high-speed rail connections throughout Germany and Europe. I got off the airplane and walked to the hotel in 5 minutes, did an early check in after an all-night flight from Denver. (Was charged extra for the early check in, but it was expected.

The front desk staff was cheerful, helpful and well-trained, the hotel has a good restaurant with a wonderful buffet (custom omlet was overcooked, but that can happen anywhere). Beds are comfortable, bathrooms are well-stocked and clean and the shower is GREAT. Rooms include UK, US and European electrical outlets! I could go on and on - I loved this place!

1  Thank BC_Denver

Thank you BC_Denver for your outstanding review of Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport. The location could not be better indeed.
It is great to see that you too love our hotel! We love to have you visit us over and over again!
We certainly can't wait to welcome you back to Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport!
Warm regards,

Reviewed January 31, 2013

WOW! I stayed in the new Hilton Garden Inn at the Frankfurt Airport, and wow - I was impressed! It is right next door to the regular Hilton, but why would I stay there when I can save some dollars (or Euros - ha ha!) and stay at the Garden Inn? The hotel was gorgeous! New, new, new! EXTREMELY clean, overly friendly staff and an incredible location: at the airport inside The Square. There are quite a few restaurants in The Square, plus a Starbucks (yahoo!), a small grocery store and a few shops. It gave me something to do the night I arrived and kept me within a quick walk of the airport terminals. LOVE IT! I would definitely stay there again and I would recommend it for everyone. The rooms were on the smaller side, but still far bigger that most hotels I've stayed in while in Europe. The bed was comfy, pillows were great and they had a few more English channels than the Hilton in Frankfurt that I had just stayed at. Most importantly, the room I stayed in was next to the elevators but I couldn't hear them. Also, for being next to the airport, I never even heard one plane...I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I imagine all rooms are great! Sorry no help here.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

WOW! Thank you for your near perfect review of Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport! It really is great to see that we were able to impress you so much with our service and facilities. The hotel has been very carefully soundproofed indeed.
Thank you for highly recommending us JLCBothell, we certainly look forward to your future visits.
Warmest regards from all of us at Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We arrived by car on the autobahn from Mainz. Unfortunately, neither the Hilton nor Garden Inn nor The Squaire were listed on our rental car GPS. The signage at Frankfurt airport was very poor. We saw NO signs for Hilton properties and finally saw one small sign for The Squaire but it was for parking area. We passed by the airport and went 10-km out of our way before getting turned around and looking from the other direction. It was dark by then, and somehow we missed it again. We almost missed it a third time, but finally spotted the sign to The Squaire which took us up on a bridge and finally to the entrance. There are several roads leading in and out of Frankfurt airport, and only one particular road seems to have the signs. Once inside the building, there were no signs (even in the elevator) indicating where the hotel was located. We were later told by an employee that the hotel was aware of the signage issue, but the airport did not want them to post signs. Just be sure to get very exact directions if you are driving, especially if arriving at night.
The only other negative is that the wireless internet did not work in the room - a big frustration after traveling all day and needing Internet connection.
The room was small, but totally sound-proofed, very clean, and king bed was very comfortable with crisp linens. Breakfast buffet (included for Gold members) was very plentiful with "make-your-own" waffles and eggs cooked to order, four kinds of juices, a variety of breads, yoghurts, fruit, meats and cheeses. The pan labeled "crispy bacon", however, had bacon that was very undercooked for most Americans.
Although it is not a full-service hotel, the staff were helpful in assisting us with our huge amount of luggage when we neeed to find a taxi to take us to Terminal 2 for an early morning flight.
Now that we know how to find it, we would stay again.

Dear Mrtwtraveler,
It is great to hear that you will stay with us again Mrtvtraveler, despite the challenges you faced while on the road!
Just to make it as easy as possible I would recommend anyone arriving by car to follow the signs "The Squaire" (name of the building where hotel is located), which subsequently also show the signs " Hilton & Hilton Garden Inn". Parking is most convenient directly at the hotels, as you will only need to take an elevator which goes one floor up and you are standing in the large Lobby / Atrium where you check in. This way you will never even have to go outside. Two new signs were posted when you arrive by car, this further improves the arrival by car.
When you arrive by plane it is a lot easier, just follow the same signs, or the long distance train signs, as we are located immediately above the high speed train station at the airport, connected to the main terminal.
Mrtwtraveler, we are very happy to be your host again in the future at Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Despite being the budget arm of the Hilton hotel chain, Hilton Garden Inn at the Frankfurt Airport offers good value for money. The room was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom wasn't cramped at all, unlike many of the budget hotels in Europe. The buffet breakfast offered a pretty wide and tasty selection, at par with some pricier hotels. Its location within the airport is very convenient, because there is an internal walkway that allows one to reach it without being exposed to the cold weather outside. The signage and directions need improvement, though, because it was not easy to find. There are a few restaurants and a supermarket nearby, so guests will be able to buy food without going back to the airport main building. The city centre is a train ride away, since there are regular trains running from the airport to the HBF. This hotel offers good value for money, especially for travelers in transit who are looking for a nice place to rest in between journeys.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
N S, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Cutie888,
As a well travelled TripAdvisor user I am very happy you took the time to write a review about the Hotel. It is very important to us that our Guests feel taken care of. I am glad you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and managed to get a good rest in between flights. Dear Cutie888, you perfectly recognised the concept of the Squaire Building in which the Hilton Frankfurt Airport and Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport Hotel are located. You will find everything under one roof, Supermarkets and Restaurants, train station, offices and even 2 Hotels. We would like to thank you once again for your support and are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
With kindest regards,
N.Syed

Reviewed January 27, 2013

It is a good choice ONLY if to stay overnight to catch next day flight. It is about 10-15 minutes walk with many turns from terminal. As long as you follow hotel signs (a lot of them), not hard to find.

However, you do NOT want to stay here for leisure or business trip. Room is tiny. Even with small bed, there is not much space to move around between bed and desk. Yes, train station is right outside and only 15 minute ride to downtown. But room is very uncomfortable for more than 1 night.

There are also several restaurants nearby, even a Starbuck and a grocery store. Very convenient.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much Flyingmg for posting your review.
The rooms at the focus-service Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport are indeed not as big as the rooms in the next door, full service Hilton Frankfurt Airport Hotel.
If you stay many nights, have a significant amount of luggage and you have a larger budget, it might be more convenient to stay at the next door Hilton Frankfurt Airport, where you will also find oversized closet space. Both hotels offer excellent price/value.
In general I can confirm though that the Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport is very suitable, also to business travellers. You will note this also from the rankings here on tripadvisor, where the HGI hotel is the highest ranked airport hotel for a long time now, amongst others due to its excellent value and convenience. Please note also that at the HGI Frankfurt Airport you do not pay for internet, fitness, sauna, steamroom or even remote printing from your room!
Flyingmg, thank you once again for your feedback, we certainly look forward to welcome you back again!