“Good, but could use some improvements.”

Archaeologisches Museum
Ranked #76 of 435 things to do in Frankfurt
Frankfurt
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Good, but could use some improvements.”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The Archeology museum is a good one, but does lack English translations for all of the exhibits. Not ideal for tourists and probably why it is so empty all the time.

Dislike having the staff follow you around as though everyone is a thief. They also don't seem to be familiar with their exhibits.

If you like Roman or Celtic artifacts though, you will enjoy it. It is all specific Frankfurt archeology too, which makes the museum a bit unusual. They also have artifacts from the first Franks that were living here around 450 or so.

P.S. the photo shown is of the World Culture museum, located on the Sachsenhausen side of the river. The Archeology museum is located in the former Karmeliter Church.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Bornheimgirl

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt, Germany
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Smallish, but well done”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My son and I were happily surprised at the quality and accessibility of the items on display. It's not an extensive museum -- we spent a little over an hour there -- but it had some interesting and unique items from daily life. There were other parts of the museum that appeared to require an additional ticket but we didn't go in there. Probably should have, but by the time we were done with the main area, my son had checked out. :)

Visited November 2012
1 Thank KelGPhip
California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Archaeological Garden”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was a fascinating ruin! It even had a brail map.To think I was seeing excavations of a Roman settlement!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank J M
London, United Kingdom
764 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 601 helpful votes
“Little Surprise that i was the only visitor.”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

i visited this museum at 1015am today.i was the only visitor.Maybe that says all you need to know about this museum.The exhibition building is extremely impressive.Unfortunately since nothing was translated i was unable to get much benefit from my visit.In fact including a 10 minute video i was only in the museum for 30 minutes.A total waste of my time.I have only given this 3 stars because of the building.If you cant speak German and only have a passing interest in the subject matter dont bother with this museum.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank wingate
Toronto, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“In Germany still everything is verboten”
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Archaeologisches Museum, Frankfurt, Germany

This was meant to be a friendly visit by a curious researcher, alas, it was a total disaster:
I left U-station Willi Brandt Platz and went eastward along Weissfrauenstrasse, as shown on the Franfurt city map given me with my Frankfurt card: At the cash, their first words were "no discount for seniors" after seeing my white hair. I asked if there was a Frankfurt card discount and the two persons stuck their heads together and consulting a tiny card, said yes 50%. I pay 3 euros. Yippee!.
This was not the entrance on Karmelitergasse since that lane was not on the map. So I was directed towards the former cloister inside the building. As a collector of coinweights I immediately spotted a Roman coinscale and with my camera round my neck (where else?) found myself surrounded by two women, one large, one small. "No flash" said the one, "no photographs" said the second, pointing to a pillar which listed 4 verboten things in this museum.
I made my rounds stopping here and there, always being followed by the two suspicious "officious" women, who were now joined by a man. When I spotted one of the bank skyscrapers for which Mainhattan is now famous I thought I would take its picture. (Still a sunny morning, soon followed by rain.) As soon as I had positioned myself, the man rushed up telling my I could not take this picture from there as I would "trip some kind of alarm". I must take this picture outside.

By now I was totally fed up and asked the man what else is verboten in his museum, and he uttered breaking glass cases etc. etc. he probably expected an 82 year old would do. So I told him frankly, I am glad I left Germany for good 60 years ago, it is still just as bad as under the Nazis.

With that I left.