“Full Day Rhein River Cruise with ETS...Yikes.....”

ETS Sightseeing Tours
Book In Advance
$95.75*
Rhine Valley Trip from Frankfurt including Rhine River Cruise
$95.75*
Heidelberg Half-Day Trip from Frankfurt
$115.14*
and up
Frankfurt Super Saver: City Highlights Tour plus Rhine Valley Cruise and Wine...
Ranked #8 of 40 Tours in Frankfurt
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Well, my first impression of this company was not a very good one but the trip turned out to be very successful. We arrived at the Company office early. The company office was filthy. Boxes everywhere. Very trashy. Not a very good impression. We parked our car in the parking garage right next to the office (which turned out to be very expensive). We should have parked at the Hbf. The employees are less than friendly. Not to mention they could all be retrained in customer service. Since we arrived early, we walked down to Starbucks to have coffee and to kill time....be careful of the beggars on the street (they are everywhere). We arrived back at the office in time to board the bus for the trip. The bus cut off three times before we actually got out of the parking area. (Not a good start). Never learned the name of the tour guide or the bus driver.....Just know that the price of the trip does not include some things so you may have to come out of pocket for some items.

When the bus actually started moving...Just know that it is a 1.5 hour bus ride to Rudelsheim to catch the ferry. The first stop was lunch. Lunch is included but you have to purchase your own drinks. My husband said the beer was horrible. The choices are Chicken, fries, and salad or Potato pancakes (veg option). If you want Schnitzel you will have to pay 9 Euro out of pocket. I did not like the fact that we didn't have open seating. The waitress told you where to sit. Don't sit at the table closest to the door on the left hand side. THat is where the air-condition was and it was very cold. Lunch was good. My husband and I both had the chicken which was good. Quiet tasty actually. We then went across the street to catch the ferry. Which was very easy. THe boat ride was wonderful. We sat at the very top. The weather was perfect. They had a waitress taking your order. My husband had two beers (which he really enjoyed) and I had cake (Apfel kuchen) which was Yum O. We got off the ferry at St. Goarhausen and caught the bus back. The tour guide said he would make the announcment of when we would get off the boat. He didn't which means three people stayed on boat after the boat had already left. So you have to pay attention. After the ferry ride (which was not very long)....We went into the mountains and was able to take a cable ride down (5 Euro). Although the price listed was 4.50 and I am sure we got a group discount so I think they (the tour guide and bus driver) kept the extra .50 +. The cable ride was worth it going down. If you don't go on the cable ride...you have to sit on the bus. One little boy needed to use the restroom, the tour guide told him to the the bathroom in the bushes. The view going down the cable car was great. After the cable car, Some of the group went to the wine tasting. The tour guide took the group that did not go to the wine tasting on a walk around the city. My husband and I opted to do our own thing which was to have ice cream. The group that did the tour with the tour guide did complain since none of the stores were open and ther children could not get anything to drink. My husband and I were happy with our choice to do our own thing. After the wine tasting...we went back to the bus (the bus driver was carrying a crate of wine back) I am sure got with the money they overcharged us....We made several stops of dropping people off at their hotels before we arrived back at the headquarters office. Did I mention that a boy threw up all over the front of the bus and the bus driver did not stop of cover it up as we had to walk past it to get off the bus. They would not open the back of the bus because they asked everyone to give them a tip which was at the front of the bus.

Next time...Skip this company. Drive to Rudelsheim catch the ferry and eat the the Anker Restaurant without using these people.

7  Thank OKlawdog
There are newer reviews for ETS Sightseeing Tours

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Great tour. Guide was entertaining and had some great stories as we traveled through some amazing areas

Reviewed July 31, 2012

This tour company is not for those who want a hand-held trip down the Rhine. What they do provide is a casual, friendly experience, laid back and overall really enjoyable. We did the combination Heidelberg/Rhine River tour. We were picked up from our hotel in a very comfortable VW Limousine Van (different from a minivan), and taken to the Greenline office to pay for our tour. I have to admit, we were not convinced by the premises. It was small and there was a group of employees hanging around the front which didn't look that professional, but you know the saying about judging a book by the cover.

The first half of the day was the trip the Heidelberg. We had a cool driver and a very fun and friendly tour guide, Jan. Jan was very approachable and was attentive to the needs of the tourists, especially to the elderly lady who was unable to walk too far. He showed us through the castle and the town and gave us time to explore by ourselves.

We then headed back to Frankfurt to drop off the tourists who weren't continuing on to the Rhine. The second tour group was smaller, so Jan became our driver as well as our tour guide. We made the trip down the autobahn in the comfy VW van, where we listened to Jan's music and this was a great icebreaker. By the end of the road trip everyone was singing, laughing and having so much fun. The cruise was so wonderful with info in German, English, French and Spanish. The restaurant was so cool! The Zum Anker was quirky, and filled with crazy knick-knacks. I've never seen anything like it. The food was good and the wine was divine. Andrea our waitress was funny and friendly and very knowledgable. She was also our wine tasting guide and gave us a fantastic overview of the region, the wines we were tasting and how they are produced.

Our final destination was a lookout over the entire Rhie Valley. It was sunset and just amazing! Jan made sure we all had our photos taken, before driving back to Frankfurt, and dropping us off at our hotels. We went in with a relaxed easy going attitude and we were lucky that the other tourists were so great.

Again, if you want to make the most of this tour company, you want to be relaxed and easy going and take it as it comes. We enjoyed ourselves and would recommend Jan and the ETS Greenline group to all our friends.

1  Thank JoeyjojoR
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I would not reccommend this fullday tour with ETS along the Rhine to anyone wanting to experience Germany. We wanted to get look at the Rhine on our stopover in Frankfurt and made the unfortunate decision to use this company. The actual trip on the Rhine was lovely but that in reality was the only part of the day not run by ETS. As noted by other reviewers the resturaunt was apalling and the waitress equally dismal and dishonest which is especially sad considering the fantastic food, resturaunts and cafes in Gremany. The wine tasting, run by the same waitress, was tragic with the waitress once again rude.

The day was only really saved by the fantastic scenery and boat ride along the Rhine however I would reccommend to do this off your own back rather than use this company. Altogether a terrible experience and one I would not want anyone to repeat.

6  Thank K B
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The Frankfurt 2-hour city tour at 27 Euro was definitely overpriced! It was actually a 1-hour tour, the other hour was spent wandering around the old city area by ourselves.

7  Thank Globetrotting_Canuk