“Only design isn't enough...”
Review of Roomers

Roomers
Ranked #14 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersBronze level
Frankfurt
“Only design isn't enough...”
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We stayed at the Roomers for one night and ate at the restaurant.

The HOTEL is nicely designed, which is a welcome difference to many other hotels who claim to be design hotels. It is very dark, gray, black, brown, with dimmed out lights, and you can dim the light in the rooms too.

The room is just large enough (we had a superior), with very unique - and dark - appearance, not missing much, not even black soap or the little package called 'time to tease', containing massage candle, lubricants and vibration c-ring (no, we haven't opened it - we didn't bother, didn't need it ;). Maybe this is reminiscence to the nearby red light district, who knows....

The RESTAURANT is very expensive (too expensive in my eyes), trying very hard with its wannabe cosmopolite, clubby atmosphere. The service is mediocre, the food is ok, but too expensive for what it is. The owner was sitting in the corner with friends, and all the staff was scurrying around his table...

The SERVICE is a joke; miles apart from anything I would call 5 star, not even 4 star. The front desk people are polite, but insincere. They haven't got what it takes to represent a 5 star culture against a guest, and their behaviour reminds me how hard it must be to really deliver excellent and warm atmosphere every day and minute.

All in all, I would say: design is ok, for one night because seen it once, seen it forever, but that alone doesn't make a 5 star hotel a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Booked The Pure but was upgraded to Roomers when I showed up. I stayed 1 night before flying back to OIF. First, as mentioned before, I was a bit confounded by the closed doors. The doors are quite large and always closed…..so it resembled a club or lounge rather than the hotel.
Everything was unique in its own way. For example, the buttons in the elevator was touch sensitive like on the iPhone. Sensual music was played at all hours in the hallways and lobby. My room also faced the office building. The room was a decent size for Europe. This place is great! It had full length mirrors in the showers and ceiling faucet, cool. The light switch took a minute to figure out, but everything made sense. The theme of the room was dark and sensual, yet rich. Hence, everything was dark, wood or leather with the Rooms emblem or mirrors and metallic. Ha, even the door handle can double as a paddle! BTW, Wi-Fi is free, but can be a bit slow. then again, why stay in the room and browse the web when there is so much to see down stairs?
I found the staff to be professional, helpful and very attentive.
I went to the gym in the morning and found that it was stocked with fruits and bottled water. The equipment was modern and extensive by hotel standards. It also had a full view of the city skyline. Then there was the spa with marbles and water jet…..sweet!
Breakfast was included. The selection was probably the best I’ve had in my 2 week R&R.
All in all a great closure to a much needed trip. This place is memorable and unique. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
London
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I normally stay at The Pure but was offered an upgrade to Roomers as it was the newest member to the Design Hotels Group in Frankfurt.

First impressions are that you are walking into a nightclub lobby or lounge - so very stylish.
Check-in was handled efficiently and a refreshing welcome drink was offered.

The room itself had a semi-open plan bathroom. Meaning that the sink and shower were effectively visible from the bedroom. Thankfully the toilet was a separate cubicle.

As my room was directly opposite an office block - in the morning I didn't feel that the net curtain was sufficient to protect my modesty and this leads me to my comment about the rooms. Whilst the room is furnished quite opulently and the floor looks like american walnut - this does mean that the room is very dark unless you turn on all the lights to their full brightness.

The pillows provided - one large square pillow and one small pillow are not the best. I much prefer a regular rectangle shaped pillow and I would request that the hotel reviews this.

I ate breakfast in the outdoor part of the restaurant and that was very tranquil and pleasant.

I also like to commend one of the girls from check-in who came and provided an alternative adapter as the one I had was not working. She also organised someone to come and collect my boots that I had left overnight to be polished to be cleaned within 15minutes after they had not been picked up.

2 quibbles that I have with service was as a member of the Design Hotels Club - I am entitled to a late check-out. However the night shift manager didnlt seem to believe me and basically a stand-off took place until it was agreed that I could have a late check-out. As it happenedn, my business the next day meant I had to depart earlier than expected so I didn't take this up but this was still very annoying. When I left my luggage with reception and then headed to breakfast, no-one gave me a ticket for the case. When I came to pick-up the case, I was basically chided for this!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,537 helpful votes
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We didn't stay at the hotel but had dinner at the high rated restaurant of Roomers.

The first negative is the location of the place, near the railway station next to the "red light area" of Frankfurt. So you can't get a legal parking place and even you would find one you wouldn't want to park your car there. So you have to use the "Valet Parking" for going to the restaurant (they charged me € 15.00 for 2 hours even we had a € 300 dinner).

Once you're inside you're guided outside. The terrace is nice but the noise of the owner who's making his own party next to the guests spoils everything. The service is "okay" (what you can expect at such prices) but the food isn't that good. They try to make the dishes sound "interesting". But interesting doesn't always mean "tasty".

Another LOW is their pet policy. When you come with a dog you can sit outside - but not inside the restaurant. So in case you come with a dog, sit outside and it starts to rain you do have a real problem!

Not tasty food, € 15.00 for parking per car, owner who doesn't understand that you shouldn't party at your own place plus their pet policy makes "Roomers" a total NO GO.

4 Thank HONkiev
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 15, 2009

As already mentioned by previous travelers, the hotel and the rooms might be considered dark. However, the design plus the very friendly and efficient staff made my stay a pleasure.

The hotel is located near the central train station and the Frankfurt red light district. It was opened in April 2009 and is a "sister" to the successful Pure hotel. The taxi ride from the airport takes approximately 20 minutes and costs around 25 Euros. From the outside the hotel is unspectacular but the stylish reception area provides a first taste of the efforts, which have been put into the design.

Rooms are of a fair size (but sufficient), well equipped with everything you would expect from a five star hotel. Very clean and high quality furniture/equipment. Indeed, the rooms are a little bit to dark. Especially if you enter it the darkness makes it difficult to find the usual slot for your room card to get the light on. However, as soon as this hurdle is passed, lightening works well. I found it especially helpful that the switches provide for specific "mood" buttons.

Buffet breakfast was of good quality (again very friendly and efficient staff). The price of EUR 29 has unfortunately become a standard these days.

The hotel offers a very stylish bar, open until 4 a.m. The courtyard, shared by the bar and the restaurant is a very nice place to eat and chill. Check out the restrooms next to the bar – I have never seen a basin like they have!

Overall, I can strongly recommend the hotel - for the price I paid (EUR 135) very good value for money. I particularly liked the design and the staff.

1 Thank Grand_Duke
Holland
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I've just returned from a 5 night stay in the Roomers hotel. I originally booked a stay at the Bristol hotel but was contacted for an upgrade to the Roomers.
The hotel is located near the Hbf and situated in a business area. Due to the dark entrance doors I had to look twice to see I actually reached to hotel and although the entire hotel is designed with dark colours, this is also one of its great appeals. While checking in (with a glass of bubblies), my luggage was taken to the room by a very friendly assistant. The room itself was incredibly small and unfortunately not very well cleaned. The dust was everywhere and the floors were dirty. Nevertheless, the room was beautifull.
The spa is a really big bonus to the hotel. Just relax and enjoy while the jets of the massage beds take care of aching muscles, a lovely sauna visit or just a good work out at the gym, all is included!
As a business traveler, the WiFi access in the room was perfect as well, it gave me the time to actually get some work done.

I had a perfect stay and since I have the luck to have over 10 visits to Frankfurt per year, I think it will not have been the last stay in this hotel.

1 Thank messegirl
Glasgow
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We had booked into the sister hotel and on arrival we were told we were very lucky and that we had been "upgraded" to their brand new hotel which had opened ahead of schedule. We were excited...
On arrival it was clear the hotel was not ready for guests. The ceiling had a number of leaks. The reception are had a number of champagne buckets catching the leaks (different class!).
My room had not been cleaned properly and everything was coated in a thin layer of dust. Thankfully the room had slippers otherwise my feet would have been very dirty!
Unfortunately my room had faulty wiring and the swanky lighting system was prone to switching itself on and off randomly throughout the night leaving me in some very compromising positions including being locked out in my pjs! I never got more than two hours sleep in a row.
I have to applaud the staff though. In the face of adversary they were very professional. I could tell they did not believe me about the lights but after staying in my room with me for 20 mins they witnessed the possessed lights at their best. At least we could laugh, it wasn't an electrician they needed but a priest! In the end the hotel gave me a very generous discount on my room for the last night but sadly this benefited my employer and not me, the one who was sleep deprived!
The hotel is very decadent and worth a look but beware the very expensive cups of tea (£8!).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business