“Budget hotel, Excellent Service, Nice Breakfast”

Ibis Darmstadt City
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Darmstadt
Maryland
“Budget hotel, Excellent Service, Nice Breakfast”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Ok, this is where you stay when you are in town for business and want to stay to tour, but can't afford posh.

The room was spartan, but it had all the basics. The fact that they let me check in at 8:30am on a Friday with a major music festival in town was excellent. The fact that they moved me the next morning at 7am when I got no sleep the night before was very impressive service indeed.

So watch the rooms on low floors that face the street on weekends. It can get noisy!

Breakfast was nice - sliced meats, lox, a lovely cream cheese and watercress sauce, rolls and breads, and lots of coffee.

Room Tip: Get one facing the courtyard, not the streets!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank beachlurk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2011

A decent hotel. I consider if the price can be lower. The rooms are small, but neat and clean.
I think it can make a bulk offer with a special price to the participants at the various EUMETSAT meetings.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Abingdon, UK
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I used to live in Darmstadt, so I was aware of where this hotel is before we went. Its about 10 mins walk from town, but sits in between two main tram/bus tines from the main train station into the town centre. From here you can connect to the other lines. Plenty of resturaunts nearby.

Hotel clean and tidy with spacious rooms. Not a particualry exciting view out of the window - but i wasnt hoping to pull up a chair and stair out of it. The staff were very friendly (in stark contrast to the other reviews here). Has all the mod cons youd expect - numerous TV channels in English/French etc, good bathroom. All was clean and tidy, and very quiet at night.

High marks from us.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I have stayed in many Ibis Hotels along my travels as they are perfect for people who just want a room to sleep in and have a shower, but this one was absoulutly terrible.
Arriving at the reception, the staff did not even say hello or smile. They made me pay for the room at the begining which I have never known to do that.
As I was about to put in my pin to pay, I noticed the price was different to what I had booked initially. I asked the reception staff that is was wrong and they gave me the coldest, ignorant attitude i had never seen before in my life.
He then asked me to provide the information, and after retrieving the booking I had on my email he rudly asked me 'where did you get this price?' I told him i had booked on the actual Ibis site and he and another member of staff who i believe was the manager on duty looked at each other on purposly...
As I had bags, my friend who was with me wanted to help me take them upstairs to my room, the staff did not let him come upstairs and help me. They were so rude!
Once I got to my room, I was shocked to see that they had given me a wheelchair access room. I was shocked!! They had done it on purpose! I went straight downstairs to complain and they gave me another room. I paid an extra 10euros a day for breakfast which was terrible!
I hated my stay here! It was the worst experience with Ibis I have ever had!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Debbinha
Darmstadt, Germany
Reviewed November 16, 2010

This is one of the worst services I have ever received in my life. I went in person to book a room for my grandfather who was coming to visit me in a few days. I was received by a very unfriendly attendant, who answered most of my questions unwillingly.

I just wanted to know what types of rooms were available and whether they had queen size beds, because I wanted my grandfather to sleep more comfortably. He didn't even answer my doubt and just seemed annoyed by my questions.

Because of his attitude, I started having second thoughts about having my grandfather stay in that hotel, so I asked what were the terms for cancelling after making the reservation. He simply told me that could not be done. Because I was afraid not to find a free room in another hotel, I decided to book it anyway.

He gave me a form to fill up. I went as far as writing the name and then stopped to ask him what the other questions were since it was all in german which I could not understand entirely. He told me "it was ok" and that "he would take care of the rest", and took the form away from me.

I don't know if he thought that I was stupid or what, but he told me my booking was done (without having any information but my name and without any payment). I asked him again, and he repeated that the room was already booked. I don't know if he just expected me to leave or what.

I asked him then for a receipt or some confirmation number. At this point he was even more rude when he told me that if I wanted "that kind of reservation" I would have to pay everything in advance. I don't even know how I got this far into that conversation. But at that point I just realized that it was just not worthy to spend my money on. I just said "Thank you, I would rather not pay yet." and left. On my way out, I heard him crumple the piece of paper I had partially filled and throw it into the garbage, which is what I suspect he intended to do from the beginning.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank tapis33

Travelers are raving about these Darmstadt hotels

Stuttgart
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Excellent value for money and a very friendly staff

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I recently stayed here whíle working in Darmstadt and was a bit reluctant but it was cheap. However, I was very pleasantly surprised! It is basic, but if you just need a bed it's fine. The great thing however is that they have free wifi- yes free!!! I travel quite a bit and am used to paying extortionate wifi access prices, so couldn't quite believe it!
The size of the room is fine and you can fit up to 3 people in there, probably if you are 3 it would be quite cramped.
The location is very good, walking distance to the train station and 25 mins by bus from the airport. .There is also an australian bar next to the hotel which serves quite good food.

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo