“Family Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Darmstadt
Florence, Kentucky, United States
“Family Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We recently joined my husband on a business trip to Germany. He picked this hotel because of it has a pool for the kids and it's close to the train station for us. The hotel room it's self is fine. It's about average with the decor and bathroom. It was clean and quite for being right next to the tracks. We loved that we could even walk to downtown Darmstadt for this location too. For a family or a business traveler looking for something with a great location this is it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
maritim91, Direktion at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for your comment. I am very pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. A positive comment as yours is a motivation for the entire team and helps us to further increase our efforts to satisfy our guests.

Tanja Knop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Antwerp
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

If you need to stay in one of the Maritim Hotels, this one is better than the Maritim Konferenzhotel across the street. Better ask for a room on the front side, because a lot of trains pass this place. It needs to be renovated: the rooms are old and not always clean.
The restaurant is not that bad at all: trey are trying hard to serve you good food with a friendly smile. The breakfast can be extremely crowded.
They reduced their prices, but still too expensive for what you get. don't stay there if you don't have a car to get around: it is a long walk to the center via no the most pleasant street.
The sauna is good and the fact that there is a swimming pool is a plus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
maritim91, Direktion at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this comment. I very much regret that you were not fully satisfied with your stay. Naturally a 20 year old hotel such as ours starts to show some wear and tear and cannot easily stand the comparison to a new hotel building. Nevertheless our guests value the quality and service of our employees very highly. Especially the employees of our technical department are constantly repairing and remedying deficiencies.
We are aware that the noise coming from the railway can be a disturbance. For this reason we have installed double-glazed windows in all rooms. That measure may not be sufficient for everyone so we recommend our Comfort rooms facing away from the railway side as you did.
I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience during your stay and do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again on a future visit to Darmstadt. Please be assured that we will do our utmost to provide you with our best services.

florence
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel is 15 minute walk from the center of Darmstadt and it is very near to the other Maritim Konferenz Hotel.
The rooms are spacious and well equipped but it is clear that the hotel was built long time ago with good standards but never refurbished (e.g. old moquette, old stile TV). The toilet is equipped with phon but the details suggest that also this room is a little bit old.
The continental breakfast is very good and the buffet is quite large but unfortunately is very expensive (around 14-18 euros).
There is the possibility to buy the wifi in the rooms but it was very expensive.
The hotel have a private underground parking (12€/day) and free swimmingpool and sauna.
Last note: I reserved a standard room (paid around 100€/night). When I arrived, the receptionist asked me if I wanted to buy an upgrade because "the standard rooms are over the railways and during the night are noisy". I refused the upgrade (the room price was already high with respect to other hotels in darmstadt) and actually the room was noisy during the night... I was annoyed by this behaviour because I didn't expected it in a 4 star hotel...the next time I was in Darmstadt I reserved in the Konferenzhotel (at least it was not noisy during the night)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I very much regret that you were not fully satisfied with your hotel room. Naturally a 20 year old hotel such as ours cannot easily stand the comparison to a new hotel building. Nevertheless our guests value the quality and service of our employees very highly. Especially the employees of our technical department are constantly repairing and remedying deficiencies.
We are aware that the noise coming from the railway can be a disturbance. This is the reason our receptionist asked you if you preferred a quieter room in our Comfort category which does not face the railway tracks. However as it is a different room category which also includes a daily newspaper it has a different price. I am very sorry that you were annoyed and can assure you that our employee by no means wanted to be rude.

preston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

I was sent to this hotel by Lufthansa after they cancelled a late evening flight from Frankfurt airport which has an 11 pm curfew . I was stressed and tired so I suppose this might add to the negative thoughts behind this review. But the hotel is a dump. After a surly fellow chcked me in- I suppose he wasn't too happy about dealing with a long queue of mostly British stranded Lufthansa passengers- and was unwilling to answer my questions (like how do I get a taxi back to the airport in the morning). The room was dark and dingy, carpet smelled and wallpaper was peeling off. OK so Lufthansa is not going to give me a list of Tripadvisor approved hotels to choose from in a chaotic departures hall after several flight cancellations. But they can surely do better than this place. I got 4 hours sleep through sheer exhaustion and a hot shower- best part of the stay. Departing at 6 am, there was not a soul in the lobby area so I just left my key and got my taxi. The story had a happy ending as I did make my early morning flight back to Manchester despite only being on standby. But my advice to travellers is don't risk a late evening flight from Frankfurt or you will end up at the Hotel Maritim, Darmstadt.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank robatleyland
maritim91, Direktion at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your unexpected stay in June. I understand your anger and dissatisfaction with the situation as I have made a similar experience in the past myself. Being moved to a hotel instead of flying out to your desired destination is very stressful - for all parties involved.
That is why I am sure our front desk employee did not mean to be impolite or inconsiderate. He rather wanted to serve everybody as quickly as possible. To further complicate things we did not receive sufficient information from the airline when you were sent to our hotel and were somewhat caught by surprise when your group of stranded passengers arrived.
I am sorry and deeply regret that we failed to make this experience any easier or more comfortable for you. Surely this was not what you had planned for that particular evening and night. I admit that as a 20 year old hotel we cannot easily stand the comparison to a new hotel building. Nevertheless I do hope you will accept my sincere apologies for all inconvenience you encountered during your stay. It would be my pleasure to welcome you during a future trip to the Frankfurt area so we can provide you with our best services.

Tanja Knop

Travelers are raving about these Darmstadt hotels

Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Absolutely fine as a mid-range hotel being clean, comfortable and having large airy rooms. Agree that the decor is showing it's age but as a business hotel it is convenient for a walk to the city centre and to my office approximately a one minute walk away. Staff are very helpful and friendly. The lack of free WiFi in the rooms is a bad omission. When any refurbishment is undertaken I recommend that this is considered.

Room Tip: If you are a very light sleeper ask for a room on the front of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Direktion at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I am pleased to hear you were satisfied with our hotel.
As you have stated a 20 year old hotel such as ours cannot hold out easily against a new hotel building. Nevertheless our guests very much appreciate our service and the friendliness of our employees, as you did.
Thank you also for your recommendation regarding free WiFi in the rooms which we will take into consideration.
A positive comment as yours is always a source of motivation and helps us to further increase our efforts to satisfy our guests. It would be my pleasure to welcome you again during a future visit to Darmstadt. Please be assured that we will do our utmost to continue providing you with excellent services.

Copenhagen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

I don't know if every freighttrain passing through Germany must pass Darmstadt.. but when a mile long freighttrqin passes every 15 min. throughout the night... lets just say that you don't get heaps of sleep..

• Stayed March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
maritim91, Direktion at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment on your stay. I very much regret that you were not satisfied with your room due to the noise coming from the trains.
We are aware that this noise clearly can be a disturbance. For this reason we have installed double-glazed windows in all rooms. That measure may not be sufficient for everyone so we recommend our Comfort rooms facing away from the railway side.
I sincerely apologise for all inconvenience you encountered during your stay. Still I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again on a future visit to Darmstadt. Please be assured that we will do our utmost to provide you with our best services.

Potenza, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

This hotel is situated near to the Darmastad train station. The room are large an comfortable but the rate is expensive. Comfortable is the bath room as comfortable is the bed. Due to the vicinity to the train station, if you have light sleep ask for a room in the higher floors, where the train noise decreases.
Despite the high rate there is no free hot spot for the net.
Unfortunately I don't enjoyed the SPA.

Room Tip: Room in higher floors have less train noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Guido M
Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment on your stay. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with that stay.
We are aware that the noise coming from the trains clearly can be a disturbance. For this reason we have installed double-glazed windows in all rooms. That measure may not be sufficient for everyone so we recommend our Comfort rooms facing away from the railway side or rooms on a higher floor as you did.
For short-term internet access we provide a small business centre in our hotel lobby that may be used free of charge as an alternative to our WiFi offer with cost.