“Pleasant restaurant with interesting selection of local dishes ”

Rheinische Republik
Ranked #395 of 4,379 Restaurants in Hamburg
Cuisines: German, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Neustadt
Description: You only get one life, so at least make it fun! Based on this very motto, the St��ndige Vertretung recreates the relaxed atmosphere of a Rheinland brewery serving K��lsch (strong pale beer), Flammkuchen (pizza-like tarts) and great German food in a setting where politics, prominent figures and chips all come together! The cuisine is described as good honest food offering plain home cooking, taking you back to the days of the Bonn Republic. The St��ndige Vertretung has capacity for a good 220 guests, both with and without an interest in politics! In summer guests can sit on the summer terrace right by the historic canal. From 11 November every year the Northern leg of the Rhineland Carnival kicks off, and it's not just where exiles from Rhineland can let their hair down!
Reviewed October 27, 2016 via mobile

Visited the restaurant while staying at the Steinberger just two minutes away by walk. The decor of the restaurant is very pleasant and the bar is particularly impressive. Had a local dish whose English name is Heaven & Earth which is what appears to be a blood pudding (the English menu misleadingly calls it red sausage) with apple purée, onion and mash potatoes. It seems an unusual combination but was delicious. This together with a small beer, a sparkling water and an espresso came to about EUR25 including tips.

Date of visit: October 2016
Write a reviewReviews (304)

Reviewed October 23, 2016 via mobile

After suffering several bad restaurant choices during a week long business trip, we decided to follow the suggestion of one of our German hosts. So glad we did. I had a salad, potato pancakes, and sauerbraten. Everything was delicious and ended up being too much for even me to eat. They also had my new favorite beer, Holsten Pilsner. Service was a little slow, but I think it's because we're so used to being rushed through our meals. Can't wait to go back and try other items on the menu.

Reviewed October 18, 2016

We were a group of three, eating quite late. This place was open. It was quiet but it was late. The staff were perfectly affable, friendly and helpful but the food was an utter let down. It felt overly processed and not terribly authentic. It might just have been the dish we tried (sauerbraten) because we all had the same thing so couldn't assess the other dishes, but based on what we had been served, I wouldn't go back.

Reviewed October 11, 2016

ideal for a break during a day in the city for lunch during a turn in the center like this time. Also great for dinner. German specialties, good beer and just prices. pleasant and welcoming environment.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed October 6, 2016 via mobile

Hi! :) I and my boyfriend we ordered "Flammkuchen" ( Photos )
- Taste / Foods : Looking good but for me....usually i don't eat salty much. So...I'm not impressed much with the taste. My boyfriend ( German ) he said..."too salty" too. ( Even usually he eat salty taste )
- Location: It's ok! We sit outside. Good view
- Service: 7/10
- Price: Not too expensive , I think it's ok!

Date of visit: September 2016