“A cosy rustic eatery”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Neustadt
Description: Wir haben an Feiertagen geöffnet, auch wenn dieser auf einen Montag fällt. Die Öffnungszeiten bleiben wie gehabt.
Reviewed December 11, 2018

One of the few real old restaurants in Hamburg, a bit difficult to find for a first-timer. Excellent local menu, friendly and professional service at moderate prices.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed December 6, 2018 via mobile

My friend and I decided to try this establishment for a taste of legitimate German cuisine. The alley in which it is situated gives a good vibe and the building itself is very cute.

When we entered, the first thing we noticed was the vintage decor and the place was oozing with character. Mind your head though, ceilings are very low!

On arrival, the manager was friendly enough and provided us a table without reservation.

My friend and I received the menu and made our choices. Our starter (Crab soup) was totally inedible. Purely because we didn't like it - which can happen - but when the waiter returned he was very offended. He was outwardly annoyed that we hadn't finished our course and quickly took our plates away. This made us very uncomfortable. The main was an improvement but, again, not entirely my bag. My friend finished her schnitzel meal and I ate most of my sausage and pork but the same reaction was projected from the waiter when he returned to me and my plate. Because I hadn't cleared the plate, I was questioned by the irritated waiter for a second time! Perhaps its a culture thing but we couldn't wait to leave!

We paid the bill and left rather unsatisfied. Although the restaurant cannot suit everyone's pallet, the shortness wasn't called for. In addition, we found the place to be very pricey!

If German food is your thing and you can definitely clear your plate then I may suggest it to you.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed October 15, 2018 via mobile

Went with a family group of 10 people to the Krameramststube. Beautifully situated, lovely atmosphere, great food, really wonderful service - we had a memorable evening. Highly recommendable

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 11, 2018

Rarely have I been so disappointed in the offerings compared to my expectations.

That is when you go to some places you don't expect much and you don't get much.

In this case, the ambience is excellent, the waiter we had was efficient and friendly, but at the prices charged you would expect something better.

Maybe we just chose the wrong dishes, and the first courses (soup) were very tatsy, if a little on the small side.

As for the main, the lobscouse was only what one could have go elsewhere for 5 euros less, and I was seriously unimpressed by the minute bit of bismark herring on my plate which obviously came out of a bottle. The meat bit of the dish was underseasoned too, and probably from a catering tin. Having said that, it was perfectly edible.

The main failure was the sole veggie main option. When will restaurants get the point that they should not treat vegetarians as though they have no sense of taste. This was advertised as a Vegetable Strudel. Now I do not know what you think a strudel is or should be, but I have always understood it to be layered pastry. What actually came to the plate was similar to two of those large Vegetable Spring Rolls that I get from my local Chinese Restaurants. Obviously not made on site, but bought elsewhere in a catering pack and then deep fried - and the filling was more potato than veg (yes I know a potato is a veg), and tasteless.

So as I said, perhaps we chose the wrong things, but if you are a veggie give this a miss until it ups its game.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 1, 2018

My husband enjoys German food, so he ordered lobscouse, the local favorite. Not me. I ordered the fish platter. No way I thought I could finish the enormous portion, but I did. My husband had room for dessert. This restaurant is in a very old building - in the shadow of St. Michael's. Just like at a lot of European restaurants, you need to demand the check if you are in a hurry.

Date of visit: August 2018