“Catering packs?”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Neustadt
Description: Wir haben an Feiertagen geöffnet, auch wenn dieser auf einen Montag fällt. Die Öffnungszeiten bleiben wie gehabt.
Reviewed October 11, 2018

Rarely have I been so disappointed in the offerings compared to my expectations.

That is when you go to some places you don't expect much and you don't get much.

In this case, the ambience is excellent, the waiter we had was efficient and friendly, but at the prices charged you would expect something better.

Maybe we just chose the wrong dishes, and the first courses (soup) were very tatsy, if a little on the small side.

As for the main, the lobscouse was only what one could have go elsewhere for 5 euros less, and I was seriously unimpressed by the minute bit of bismark herring on my plate which obviously came out of a bottle. The meat bit of the dish was underseasoned too, and probably from a catering tin. Having said that, it was perfectly edible.

The main failure was the sole veggie main option. When will restaurants get the point that they should not treat vegetarians as though they have no sense of taste. This was advertised as a Vegetable Strudel. Now I do not know what you think a strudel is or should be, but I have always understood it to be layered pastry. What actually came to the plate was similar to two of those large Vegetable Spring Rolls that I get from my local Chinese Restaurants. Obviously not made on site, but bought elsewhere in a catering pack and then deep fried - and the filling was more potato than veg (yes I know a potato is a veg), and tasteless.

So as I said, perhaps we chose the wrong things, but if you are a veggie give this a miss until it ups its game.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed September 1, 2018

My husband enjoys German food, so he ordered lobscouse, the local favorite. Not me. I ordered the fish platter. No way I thought I could finish the enormous portion, but I did. My husband had room for dessert. This restaurant is in a very old building - in the shadow of St. Michael's. Just like at a lot of European restaurants, you need to demand the check if you are in a hurry.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

Great food and service, particularly enjoy the ambiance of this hidden treasure. Snitzel comes highly recommended !

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 12, 2018

We were told to try this place because it represented old Hamburg and were delighted with the building, staff and the food. Everyone gets a herring whether you like it or not.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed June 30, 2018

Very near st michael's church, but hidden in a harry potter ish courtyard. Wonderful food, English version of menu helpful, and all staff were very pleasant. We ate outside.

Date of visit: June 2018