Hotel Polo Hamburg
  • Room Service
$149
getaroom.com
  • Room Service
All reviewsrailway stationclose to main stationreception serviceshort walkreception areahot watertwo nightsfree wificentral locationgood sizeluggagegermanselevatoreuro
Reviewed October 15, 2010

The main advantage of this hotel is its location – 3 minutes’ walk from the Central railway station, just across the street from the Central bus station, and about 15 minutes’ walk from the Town Hall and the central square.

My single room was on the 3d floor. It was small and very basic but had all the main things – the bed, a desk, an easy chair, and a wardrobe. Despite its small size, it was quite easy to move around, so it was quite functional. The bathroom with a shower was clean, and the towels were replaced every day.

One big problem about the room, which I guess must be a general problem with all the hotel rooms, was that it was very dimly lit. It was in fact so dark that when I had to look something up in the city map, I had to go to the bathroom (where the lighting was OK) to read it – and I am not long-sighted. Another problem was that the hotel faces a busy street, and it was very noisy even with the window shut – and you could not keep it shut all the time because the hotel is not air-conditioned and the room would get stuffy quite soon if you did.

Breakfast is served in the breakfast room on the first floor. It was not outstanding but there was omelet, a selection of sausage and cheese, yoghurts, and a fruit salad – on the whole, quite sufficient. Some of the reviews here have mentioned that there was hardly enough room for all the guests in the breakfast room. All I can say is that I came to breakfast at various times – from 7:00 to 8:30 – and never saw more than 8 people there at the same time. They serve breakfast between 6:30 and 10:30, so perhaps it got busier towards 9:30 or 10:00, but then I never got a chance to check it.

The girls at the reception are nice and friendly, and if you have to leave some time after the check out hour, they can store you luggage in the storage room. The hotel has free wi-fi access, which for me is a definite advantage.

On the whole, I would recommend this hotel to those who have to travel on a budget. There are some steep steps at the entrance, so it would not be comfortable for disabled people. The area is not very nice – but then you can hardly expect it to be nice when it is so close to a railway station. All things considered, the hotel is average but acceptable.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank svegor
Reviewed October 11, 2010

The only good point of this Hotel is that is only 5 minutes walk from the main train station...that means it's a Druggie and drinking area! ....however that was fine.
On arrival i was given a room where the door doesn't close properly...(it looked like it had been forced open many times...probably because above this door states emergeny exit!
I returned downstairs and asked for another room...I was then told that the door was fine(although she did not come up and see)...she then phoned her supervisor and asked if there were any rooms in any of the 7 (sister)hotels which are in a five minute radius of the Hotel....she informed me that there were no single rooms available but I could have a double room at an extra cost......I then replied no and was told that the other alternative was to sleep in the broken door room and I could be moved into another room the next day. That night I went onto the internet and found rooms available from the other hotels(ie they lied).
The next day i went down to a basic breakfast and was told that my suitcase will be moved to another room during the day. On my return i was given a key to my new room.....I went up to the new room and without using the key i opened the door.....by luck my bag had not been stolen in the room.... I phoned down to explain that someone had forgotten to lock the room, however it was by luck that my bag was not stolen. I then went to use the dvd player, however without the connecting cable to the t.v it surprisingly doesn't work....I then went down and asked if she had another cable...she looked for two seconds and said no! ...I waited to see what else she sould say, however nothing came out of her mouth...I then asked would could we do?...she then got on the phone and asked the other hotels....she managed to track a cable down and this arrived(which I was pleased about).
The next day I returned to find that the room had not been cleaned and that the towels were still on the floor., however there was now three pieces of fruit on the table.I immediately went down and asked why this had not been done....she then look at the computer and said that I had a do not disturb sign on my door!!!!!! I told her that I didn't and that if that was the case then why had someone come in and place some fruit on the table!!!!!! she had no answer......
the next day someone asked for my email as the hotel will contact me regarding these incidents...surpringly again this did not happen!
Please note that the rooms are extremely tiny,internet works when it feels like and the cleaning is minimal to say the least.....
I travel all the time throughout Germany and this is the worst Hotel that I have had the misfortune to book.
you have been warned! sorry for the long review...however everything is true!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank brompeter
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Once past the tiny and rather steep entrance, the hotel was very comfortable, although space is tight throughout. Our room on the first floor was at the end of a corridor and surprisingly large, with a sofa. I can understand how other reviewers may have found their rooms very small. From our window we could see the stand in the central bus station from which our bus would depart to take us to our Ryanair flight from Lubeck. The mainline station and U bahn are also a very short walk away. Reception staff were 99% helpful - the exception was a polite refusal of a request for a drink of water from the restaurant water cooler. This water was for the breakfast, we were told. The buffet breakfast was fresh, plentiful, and replenished as supplies ran low. Particularly good scrambled egg. Although breakfast officially started at 0630, we were allowed eat closer to 0600 on the morning of our early departure. The tight space I referred to above reminded me of small romantic hotels in Paris, and didn't bother either of us. The shower room (no bath) was very clean, and everything worked.
Two small gripes: There were no instructions with the room safe in the wardrobe, and my wife was woken from time to time by passing ambulances. I slept throughout and commented that this was hardly the hotel's fault. I would happily stay again

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank GIChuck
Reviewed July 9, 2010

The rooms are really REALLY small, and consequently, people with luggage should simply AVOID this hotel. The service is good, the breakfast isn't bad, and the location (near Hauptbahnhof - Central Station) is very convenient, but if the rooms are SO small, it is a BIG dampener. One would literally have to jump over suitcases and luggage to move around the room. A really VERY small and inconvenient property.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Tilmaz
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Location was perfect. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was good-sized, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple