“Pretty good hotel, but poor service”

Movenpick Hotel Hamburg
Ranked #13 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Copenhagen
“Pretty good hotel, but poor service”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I totally agree with the previous review for this hotel.

I booked several rooms for some friends and our family to visit Hamburg - they gave us a good price and since they are a 4 star hotel and highly ranked here at tripadvisor we gave them a try.

The hotel itself is an old water tower which is renovated pretty nice. When you enter the hotel you get the feeling of an old water tower with paints and stuff about its past. Since it is an old water tower the rooms are not square like other hotel rooms which is a big plus. We got a room to the park/green.

The negative parts are as following: It took us 3 detour in order to find this hotel due to the construction site outside the main road. Absolutely no signs that Moevenpick hotel is here. When we arrived the hotel we first were told that the signs to the hotel was hidden - GREAT! Why not tell customers prior arrival about this detour hassle??? I had at least 10+ email conversation with this hotel about different requests, changes to the rooms, and inquiries about POI several weeks prior our arrival.

Ok never mind after a long trip we were tired and wanted to rest and also wanted an internet code for going online. They told me they charge 15€ per day ... what the ... never mind I told them I agree with them that I got it for free according to our conversation. And later the same day they gave me a free internet voucher, but our friends got none!!!

Ok when my wife and I got our room we went to the room. Later I met with our friends and they complained about their beds being small - SMALL DOUBLE BEDS. I went to the receptionist who told me that they cannot guarantee our request - so why the heck did they promised us all kingsize beds and later when you arrive it becomes something else!!!

And it is not because I don't speak German. I speak both fluent both English and German, but they are quite snooby.

I would NOT recommond this hotel to anyone, my 2 cents.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank CloudStrife
MoevenpickHamburg, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Movenpick Hotel Hamburg, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hello from Hamburg,

Thank you for staying in our hotel and for writing this review here on TripAdvisor. The comments of our guests help us to ensure the quality of our product and to improve ourselves constantly.

We are very sorry to hear, that we could not meet your expectations in our hotel and our service.

As well we are sorry to read about the problems during your arrival caused by the construction work in the district. The city of Hamburg doesn’t allow the installation of more signs than those, which are already attached. Please note, that there are information about the current traffic situation as well as general arrival information on our website and in every booking confirmation. We apologize that we missed to point out this topic explicitly during the booking process.

The usage of WIFI in our hotel is indeed chargeable (EUR 12.00/24hours). Alternatively you may use our two internet terminals in our business center which are free of charge. We gladly offered you exceptionally one free voucher; however, we have to comply with our policies and prices.

We don’t want leave unmentioned that we are happy about hearing you had some good impressions during your stay and we hope that this will keep in mind. We would appreciate to welcome you again in the Mövenpick Hotel Hamburg or one of our other hotels of Mövenpick.

Kind regards
the Mövenpick Hotel Hamburg team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
West Chester, Ohio
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed here for one night and while the hotel looks nice from the outside and the receiptionist was very friendly and professional (I even got a free room upgrade), the problems started when we realized that the AC in our room was not working (26 degrees). Housekeeping showed up fast, checked the settings and told us that a technician would fix this remotely. An hour later (about 10 PM), the room was still at the same temperature. A call to the receiptionist at that time got me an arrogant and incompetent person on the phone who could not care less about customer satisfaction or the reputation of the hotel that employs him - if it was up to me, that person should get fired on the spot. Bottom line, the problem got not fixed, we had 26 degrees Celsius in the room all night, pretty much could not sleep because it was too hot and besides and attitude did not get any help (or as an easy solution, the offering to move to a room that had a working AC).

The hotel looks nice, the room was large enough and had a great view, internet was included as part of the uprgade and coffee maker and toilettries were also offered. If the AC was working or at least the staff (not during check in and not the house keeping) was more competent / customer oriented, I would have rated this hotel 5 points. However, with not having slept because of overheated rooms and only getting the stupid and lames excuses from the receiptionist, I will not stay here again nor will I recommend this hotel to others.

I contacted their corporate headquarters and my credit card company to dispute their charges. Not because I would gain anything (it was a business trip and I do not pay for it anyhow), but with such a service, I do not want them to get paid for it at all.

Room Tip: If you need a working AC, check it before "accepting" the room. Otherwise, look for a deal...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Thomas R
Hello from Hamburgs water tower,
Thank you for your visit in our hotel and for writing this review here on Trip Advisor.

As we have already mentioned in a personal message, the feedback of our guests is very important to us. It enables us to ensure the quality of our product and our services and to improve ourselves constantly.

We are very sorry that your stay with us was not as comfortable as you could aspect from a hotel of our class and apologize for these circumstances. Please be assured that the way we treat your incident is definitely not our standard.

During your stay we were fully booked and unfortunately unable to offer a room change, which of course should have been addressed to you within the conversation. Otherwise this would have been the easiest solution, but our hands were tied and we really could not solve the unpleasant situation.

We would appreciate to welcome you again in the Mövenpick Hotel Hamburg and hope that we brought along a bit of joy with the compensation we have offered to you.

Kind regards from Hamburg
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Arrived late Friday and spent the weekend at the hotel. Amazing building and clean/extraordinaire rooms. Stayed at the Junior suite, really big and with a beautiful city view.

The staff is super friendly and go beyond the call of duty to please the customers.

I will definetely come back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Reagans_mum
MoevenpickHamburg, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Movenpick Hotel Hamburg, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Hello from Hamburg,

Thank you very much for your visit in our historic water tower and your positive review. We are happy to hear, that you felt comfortable with us and that you enjoyed your stay to the fullest.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

The Mövenpick Hotel Hamburg team
Zurich area, Switzerland
Reviewed June 19, 2013

GOOD:
The hotel in a former water tower is an exciting piece of architecture;
Location is perfect for a Hamburg city tour: top connections to downtown and close to Sternschanze & Schulterblatt, which is not the glossy neighborhood of Hamburg, but therefore very authentic and lively, you'll find lots of reasonable restaurants and clubs there!
Hotel Restaurant is outstanding and serves exquisite dishes;
Excellent breakfast, complete, fresh, nothing to add;
OK:
Rooms are quiet and usual business standard;
every room is different due to its position in the water tower;
Service is very friendly and helpful; professional, not more and not less than you expect;
TO BE IMPROVE:
Wi-Fi is expensive and of limited quality, ridiculous!!!

Room Tip: as ever: as high as possible, better get the rooms to the park but you will also enjoy the rooms to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dichterdran
Hello from Hamburg,

Thank you for your stay in our hotel and your friendly review.
We are glad to hear, that you enjoyed Hamburg and our neighborhood “Sternschanze” and we thank you for your compliments concerning our restaurant as well as our extensive breakfast buffet.

Of course we are sorry to hear, that you weren’t satisfied with the WIFI connection. Beside the standard connection we offer as well high-speed internet with a high rate of transmission.

We hope to may welcome you soon again in our water tower.

the Mövenpick Hotel Hamburg Team
Rochester, New York
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I just recently heard about this hotel and decided to stay during our 3 day visit to Hamburg.
The decor in the rooms is modern and comfortable. The room we stayed in (4th floor) was small for American standards, but did not lack any convenience.

Since it was originally a water tower and a lot of the original interior was kept, the decor in the lobby, bar and even in the workout area is beautiful and quite unique.

The rooms were very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is in the "Schanzenviertel", surrounded by dozens of restaurants, bars, night spots and shopping. It is a somewhat alternative/ multi-cultural area, that is mostly frequented by a younger crowd and might not appeal to everyone.

Parking will cost extra, if you can't find a public spot on the street. There is no actual parking lot, but reserved spots outside and 2 (very small) indoor parking garages. (Euro 12-17/ night).

The subway station is right outside the hotel! It is only 2-3 stations away from the downtown shopping district, the Reeperbahn and other local attractions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MoevenpickHamburg, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Movenpick Hotel Hamburg, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hello from Hamburg,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing this positive review.

We are glad to hear, that you were satisfied during your stay and that you felt comfortable in our historic and charming water tower. As well we are happy to read, that you enjoyed your stay in Hamburg and profited of the very good connection of public transport.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Manila Philippines
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our huge tour group stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I requested for a triple sharing set up for my family. Hotel location is definitely not central . You need to get a taxi for a 10-15 minute ride to the city centre or the main plaza. But it is within a park , near a train station, and a 5-10 minute walk to some restaurants and a mini grocery. Going to the lobby from the main floor, you have to go through an escalator which is like a conveyor belt (a little bit high rise ) so be careful with your luggage ( which usually you have to do it by yourself ) in going up and down. Lobby had a nice design and decor, but I would not consider it as a spacious one , although there are some seats available for waiting guests. Elevators are card key accessible , although cramped ,ensuring some sort of security . The room size was typical European , which was small , but somehow amenities are functional . I agree with some reviewers that somehow bathroom set up intrudes with privacy , making one uncomfortable if taking a bath or doing something else . Flat screen TV was medium size and English channels are very minimal . Aircondition temperature controls are fixed, and since it is the beginning of the summer season , we would end up opening windows instead to allow air coolness to set in. Problem however is when trains pass by, making those noise which at times bother our sleep, so we were forced to close our windows instead. Service was inconsistent in the front desk , they seem hesitant to help those who wish to avail of the free internet use at the business center. And when we request them to change our US dollar to euros , they ran out of funds to we were asked to come back the next day. They had some perks, such as the coffee machine dispenser situated in the lobby, which serves free drinks for guests , available during morning and late afternoon. And the room turn down ( i noticed that rooms are made up and turn down at the same time ) would give a mini chocolate and a rubber ducky toy intended for every guest. The buffet breakfast they serve are definitely top notch , and i think this one compensated for my initial mixed reactions regarding this hotel . Food selection is always fresh , and replenished consistently . I liked the cold cuts, cheese, juice corner and the availability of bread baskets for the pastries/ bread selection. A unique feature is the honey dispenser (there are 3 different types ) and the honeycomb which is included in the buffet. Food tastes really good, and even my daughter just kept going back for more chicken nuggets and bacon. I noticed however that the staff can't make a good omelet or sunny side up. what i like is the dedicated service of the lady wait staff who are very attentive , and even show concern by asking us if we are enjoying our breakfast . Maybe offering free internet would have been a really big plus for this hotel . Anyway I would spend 2 euros for each time I would use the the internet for an hour.This hotel is geared more for local tourists. Absence of free wifi doesn't make this a good value hotel , but somehow basic services and breakfast would somehow compensate.

Room Tip: Higher floors give better view, and less noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hello from Hamburg’s water tower,

Thank you a lot for your visit at our hotel and your detailed review here on TripAdvisor.
We are happy to hear, that you liked our historic water tower and that you felt comfortable with us. We thank you especially for your great compliments concerning our extensive breakfast buffet.

However, we are sorry to read, that you weren’t totally satisfied with all of our services and we apologize for the inconveniences. As we only have a certain amount of change at the reception desk, it may sometimes happen, that we are not able to accept an exchange. We always gladly let you know the location of the closest cash machine.

Of course we a pleased, that we could make joy to you with the mini Mövenpick chocolate and the complimentary coffee in the lobby.

We hope to may welcome you soon again in Hamburg or any other Mövenpick hotel worldwide.

Best regards,
London
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Good things:
- the location is very good (set in a park, close to a nice restaurant district).
- the breakfast buffet is open until 2pm on weekends which is convenient

Not so good things:
- the service is rather 'cold' but helpful if you persist; don't expect good recommendations for a night out; if you wanted a spa treatment (not at the hotel, but anywhere in town) but did not book before arrival, forget it - the hotel can make a call, but do not expect miracles
- the rooms have rather small windows but that is forgiveable, I think, given that the building used to be a water-tower.
- lack of basic comforts is rather not forgiveable for a 4* property:
-- the armchairs work only if you sit straight on them. Try leaning back and the 'seat pillow' simply slides out. So forget about lounging on them.
-- Now, if you try that on your bed, you will soon notice that there is no back rest, there are not enough pillows in the room to help you fix that, and finally, there is a sharp ledge just where the neck is suppose to rest...
-- No free fi-wi in the rooms is very much 20th century + the pricing model for it is extortionate (1h = 3€, 1 day = €12)
-- No kettle in the room, so forget about morning coffee in your bed unless you want to face room service
-- finally, there are no extraction fans in the bathrooms - so you can imagine what that means after having a shower or using the toilet...not inviting at all

Room Tip: Never except the first room you are offered.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MoevenpickHamburg, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Movenpick Hotel Hamburg, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Hallo from Hamburg’s water tower,

We are glad to read, that you liked the location of our hotel and that you enjoyed our late riser breakfast.

However, we are very sorry to hear that you weren’t completely satisfied with our service and our hotel rooms. The size of the rooms (about 26m²) and its windows is indeed caused by the historic building of the old water tower. We offer a “pillow-menu” from which you may order different kinds of pillows free of charge to your room to may provide the best possible comfort.

Alternatively to the chargeable WIFI every guest may use our two computer terminals in the business center free of charge, 24hours daily. On request we gladly provide you with a kettle (for a small fee). Starting from our room category superior coffee- and tea facilities are included in the room rate – just let our reservations department select the best deal according to your wishes.

We apologize for the inconveniences and hope to may welcome you again anyway to convince you of our unique product.

Best regards,