“Pleasant Surprise”

Hotel Bellmoor im Dammtorpalais
Ranked #277 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The location was a surprise, as there were several hotels under the same roof, this one with 30+ rooms. We booked at short notice without any expectations except good location. The friendliness of the welcome, very pleasant room,decor, great breakfast all went to make our one night memorable. A charming, pleasant place to stay, well located, free public parking (if you can find it key = patience) We will return, when next in Hamburg. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paraffle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Granada, Spain
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel was chosen for its location and relatively economic price with a private bath and breakfast. I found the staff to be incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was small but comfortable. Breakfast was also more than adequate for my needs, and the location was perfect for me since it was next to the university as well as near the center of town. My only real complaint was the fact that Internet did not work for most of my stay. Although the manager sincerely tried to fix the problem, he was unable to. The only alternative was to sit in the hallway and use the wifi connection from another nearby hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Auckland
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This hotel is pleasant and the staff are firendly but the rooms are a little dated and match the period of the building. The breakfast was nice. It has a very good location, walking distance from the city centre. If you are arriving by car it can be quite difficult to find a carpark around here. The lift is very slow and it's quicker to walk down the stairs.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SeanAuckland
Cambridge
Reviewed August 13, 2011

- Very good rates at the time of the booking (ca. €70/night including Breakfast)
- Conveniently located close to the congress centre + S-Bahn
- Spacious & Comfortable bedrooms
- Generous German style breakfast
- Very friendly service and helpful
- Wireless internet was temperemental and did not work for most of us staying there
- Would certainly come back

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Dominoscript
LANCASHIRE
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Not a bad hotel given the location in a major city . The rates, although seeming a
little high for the size of the room and rather old bathroom facilities, are probably just
about acceptable. The outstanding feature of the Bellmoor was the attention of the reception staff(special mention for Helen who took time to converse with my son in German which he is studying) who were most helpful which you sometimes do not
find in big city hotels.Certainly would return for short stay trip anyway.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Perth
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I needed to find a hotel near the Hamburg University as I was attending a Conference. Therefore my choice was based on location as the primary option and ease of transport. For a moment I thought that there was a mistake, as hotels with different names were all in the one same location. Initially I assumed that these hotel had all gone bankrupt and found a new life with a different name, till I checked with Tripadvisor and found that the Dammtor Palace housed something like 6 hotels! I tried to book the Fresena, a non-smoking hotel, but that was already full. I then chose the Bellmoor. It was more expensive than I had planned, but their prices change depending on the events, eg Fairs etc.

The entrance is none-descript, like entering an oldish apartment block. The lift takes ages. On each floor there are entrances to two hotels. One has to ring the bell to get into the hotel. There is nothing seedy and these are definitively tourist hotels!

Once inside the Bellmoor check-in was quick. Premises are basic and there is no additional service, though the lady at Reception was competent, very friendly and helpful. Apart from one receptionist, who leaves at 10 pm, no other staff was seen.
The room was big, airy and very clean. Mineral water and fruit on arrival was a nice touch. On the other hand, the bathroom was very small. I had a superb sleep and breakfast the next morning was adequate, they offered an egg, cheese, sliced meat and a choice of bread. Their orange juice tasted like shampoo. I don't know if it is possible to get a room here without breakfast, because downstairs at the corner is a little place with amazing coffee that beats any of the great chains and they have a good choice of tasty sandwiches and croissants, for less than the price of the breakfast at the hotel.

Taxi from the airport was 19€ and about 30 minutes. On my return I took the U-Bahn (2.60€) to Ohlsdorf and then a taxi (8€) to the Airport as the shuttle bus goes only 2 per hour. If you are 2 or more people, then it's worth taking the taxi from the hotel directly. The area is pleasant, nr the Exhibition Centre and University and good connection with the U-Bahn to the centre. It's just across the road from the Grand Elysee, one of Hamburg's top hotels. For the price I paid I don't think I would return, but Hamburg is an expensive city for hotels and I did have an exceptional nice sleep here.

• Liked — Airy room, good night's sleep, friendly receoptionist, coffee place at corner,
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Evita2
UK
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I stayed here for a single night in June and really liked this hotel. Yes, it's old and my room, #7, was the standard teeny, tiny single you get in Europe, BUT I felt the place had great character and I really felt I was living in someone's home and not a hotel as a result. My windows opened onto a fabulous view and the hotel is in a wonderful location - walking distance to everything I wanted to see. The bathroom was small, but clean and functional. Breakfast choices were limited, but more than enough to satisfy and service in general was a real pleasure. My only complaint was that the doors weren't really soundproof, so if people were inconsiderate (please don't be one of those people - ever) and wanted to stomp down the passage at 2am, talking loudly, you will definitely hear them. Please note that I found the hotel a little tricky to locate: when you exit the Dammtor station, make sure you exit on what I call the back side - the front side has the taxi ranks and the walkway to the center of town; while the back faces a Shell garage. There was no map at the station and the locals were particularly un-helpful (thanks!). So exit at the "back" and turn to your left. Cross the road at the pedestrian traffic lights just ahead. Keep walking for a few minutes until you come to Brugata Street on your right (I think it's the first street you come to, but it's only a pedestrian street, so don't be confused). It goes off to the right and you will basically be going back in the direction you came - don't worry, this is correct. You'll find the hotel in the last building on that stretch on your left. There is a shortcut through the park, but it's a little tricky with bags - so save that for when you've scouted the place out a little. All in all, I enjoyed my stay - the place had great character and the parks and gardens nearby were a delight. Would stay there again. If you are traveling alone, make sure it is reflected in the on-line booking - I used one of those travel websites and when I arrived I was told my room was for 3 people! They were kind enough to suggest a single (95 Euros compared to 135 Euros). I made the booking for one person, but I suppose the website just categorized one room size. If the staff hadn't told me, I would have spent the extra money without even knowing. I was early, but they offered me coffee in the breakfast room while I waited for them to clean the room - nice touch.

• Liked — Location and service.
  • Disliked — Noise in the corridors and outside windows.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo