“Super friendly and lots of space.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Am Dammtor

Hotel Am Dammtor
Ranked #143 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
San Diego, California
“Super friendly and lots of space.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a recent business trip to Hamburg. It is a very short walk to the Convention Center and University. Set in a quaint part of town, it is vibrant with coffee, pastry shops and a ton of bicyclists, so be careful! I got to the hotel early from California so had to wait for a room. The staff were wonderful, bringing me coffee and biscuits while I napped on their couches! They got the room ready quickly and it was just lovely. It had big windows, lots of space and could have housed a small family! The bathroom was small but clean and the shower itself was large with great water pressure. I had an iron, ironing board and free Internet. The breakfast was 12 Euros and good. Pretty much, eggs, cheeses salamis juices bread so you might get cheaper fare with more selection outside. However, the dining room was elegant and clean and that's where I wanted to be. If you need drinks, there is an honor system fridge in the hallway. There is no bar, But with everything Hamburg had to offer within walking distance, it wasn't necessary. For me, having great staff makes or breaks an hotel. I thought the staff were wonderful and that is why I would definitely stay here again. Thank you Hotel Am Dammtor, for a great visit.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Aukgalgg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here while running the Hamburg marathon and couldn't have chosen better. The hotel was located a 10min walk from the start/finish at the Messe, and 5 mins from the closest train station with one change to get to the airport (about 30 minutes). The hotel staff were friendly, helpful and went out of their way to do anything they could to make my stay pleasant. I checked out on Sunday morning and when I returned after the run they made two rooms available for runners to shower and freshen up in before leaving for the airport.

My room was large, comfortable and spotlessly clean. I had one that opened onto the backside of the hotel over a garden so there was no noise. The only - and this is minor - problem I had was that there seems to be no insulation between rooms so that when my neighbours returned in the evening and turned on their TV it was as if they were in the room with me. Fortunatley, they weren't up late.

I would saty here and recommend the hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Rapperswil, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had to stay in this Hotel, for a few days, because all hotels in hamburg where pretty booked out. The hotel was ok, it was clean and the stuff was very friendly, but the hotel was nothing special, and for that price or slightly more you can find much better in Hamburg. The location is very central, the room i stayed in was also quite big, but the toilet was so small, that one could get claustrophobic. Services are basically none existant. They have a little breakfast buffet in the morning, but no restaurant in house.
If there is the need for a room, it is ok, but if i had the choice, i would go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

This hotel is located in a very quiet area of Hamburg. The room we stayed was beautifully and ornately decorated with carved crown mouldings on the ceiling. It also had large balcony, lovely oriental mini-privacy screen, nice period (or period like antique) furniture, modern entertainment system, and modern bathroom. We really enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: Stairs are located next to the elevator. The elevator is small with enough room for two people or o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Odense, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is the perfect hotel if you need to go to the fair. Nice walk for about 10-15 minutes. Very nice buffet breakfast and the rooms are clean and big.Last time I had a room to the backyard that is the best if you like it quite.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room away from the street. - this was what spoild my sleep, a lot of noise from...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed here for a weekend with my family. The hotel is in a very nice part of Hamburg and it is not far at all from the centre, easily within walking distance, or a 5 min taxi ride. Staff were very nice, and the continental breakfast was not bad, but I didn't see any coffee (if there was it was well hidden, or I had to ask for it which I didn't do).
The main problem was the extremely small bathroom. I couldn't understand why the room was so big, and they decided to make the smallest bathroom possible. My bathroom in my hotel in Toyko was vast compared to this one. I would not recommend it for a family with a toddler and pushchair, because the lift was tiny, as the hotel appeared to be in a converted apartment block. If you are a young couple then it would be fine. I also think we got one of the older rooms, and it would be worth trying to ask for a newer/refurbed room because ours was definitely not like some of the swankier rooms in the photos on Tripadvisor. We also asked for a proper double bed, but were given two single mattreses put onto a double bed frame. We also said that we were coming with a young child, but they seemed to give us a room on the 3rd and not 2nd floor, and as I said a room with the smallest bathroom ever! To be honest for the price I can't really complain too much, but if I had to pay anymore, I would have given this place 2 out of 5. When I told one of my friends that I was staying in the Dammtor, they looked at me sorrily and said that if they had known, they would have definitely recommended something better for the same price.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a bigger bathroom, and not one of the old carpeted rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank David C
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Last week, I went to Hamburg for a tour with my friends. I consider Hotel-Am-Dammator one of the classic hotel in Hamburg as rooms of this resort are designed in modern style with stucco. I was quite surprise to know that they even offer allergy-friendly room upon request, which was unique.

Room Tip: "Rooms on west side are more beautiful"
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business