“as real as it gets”

Ranked #31 of 349 things to do in Hamburg
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Dating back to 1703, this is Hamburg’s oldest and most traditional open-air market.
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had only one regret visiting this market: that i could not auction for all those fruit, chocolate, flowers, fish and all the other wonderful groceries they were offering! the sellers by themselves are a show, the way they attract the buyers! Also, best Sunday breakfast ever was here, with fresh fish & strong coffee. Bonus: live band of the best quality!

All reviews
"a lot of fun"
in 4 reviews
"hamburg port"

Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Miss out on your hotel's breakfast on a Sunday morning and do this. A very entertaining experience. The live music was loud and enthusiastic and there's plenty of choice with the food from currywurst to large pots of chopped fresh fruit.

There's also the noisy market too with loads of colourful characters.

Don't miss this!

1  Thank Bill E
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I had planned on getting there at opening but didn't quite get up that early. As it turned out, that was fine. I love open air markets and this was one of the best I have ever been to. Obviously, lots of fish but the there was also fruits and vegitables (with some wonderful looking fresh white asparagus). Unfortunately, I don't live here because I would have bought a lot of food. It is obvious that the locals do exactly that because I saw many people walking away with large sacks full of fresh food. Unfortunately, I could not find a way to get one of those people to invite me over for dinner.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

If you want to see the real hamburgers hustle and bustle, then go and see the market on a sunday morning. I reckon you should be there at 09:00 to make sure it's all still these. We got there at 10:30, then spent 30 minutes waiting NOT to be served (I think the place was called dock 14 or something, they couldn't cope with a full house) and by 10:30 the packing up already started. The main market building was filled with enthusiastic shoppers, or the leftovers of the party-night before, but there was a band playing for all they were worth (called 'midlife'), beer flowed, and people danced. At 10:30 on a sunday morning ! Just fantastic. It just goes to show that the good people from Hamburg know how to have fun, although they don't always show it. The market itself is the usual collection of fruit, vegs, flowers, clothes and rubbish as you find in marketplaces everywhere. But the sunday morning dancehall experience is one I will not likely forget. That alone is worth the trek to St. Pauli / Altona.

1  Thank Nico_Nelly
See more reviews
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I've lived in Germany for 5 years now and I have to say, the fish market struck me as just very Hamburg. You have such a mix of different people: the regular shoppers doing their Sunday morning market visit, the tourists gawking at everything, and the drunk people coming straight from the clubs on the Reeperbahn. The atmosphere is so lively and vibrant with the different stalls auctioning goods off from fish to pasta to produce. It's nice to stop and listen to their jokes (albeit you have to understand German, but even if not, I'm sure it's just interesting to watch) and hear them selling their goods. I was impressed that you could buy a whole basket of fruits for only 10€! Of course, you can also get something to eat, though I don't eat fish, so I could get a fruit salad instead. I didn't want to go as soon as the market opened at 5 a.m., so we got there by 7 a.m. and it was still really full and still a very mixed crowd.

3  Thank GeekRockChick24