“Five minutes from Hamburg Messe”

Mercure Hotel Hamburg Mitte
Ranked #75 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
London, United Kingdom
“Five minutes from Hamburg Messe”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed in this hotel and, presuming that I chose my check-in and check-out times to perfection, I found reception both friendly and helpful. As per the headline, the conference and exhibition centre are less than a five minute walk away. The rooms are quite adequate for a business traveller but I really do wish that hotels went back to blankets as opposed to duvets. In this case, two single duvets on a double bed.There is quite a large restaurant but the breakfast is completely self-service and the choices are not as wide as you'd expect from a hotel of this standard. The bar is well stocked and comfortable but not very large. Overall I had a comfortable stay and would certainly stay there again but, as much for the distance from The Messe as my love for the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
west orange, nj
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Amazing at how understaffed the hotel was, especially the front desk. Rooms and bathroom are unbelievably small. Just about everything I asked for at the front desk, the answer was "no."
And I am platinum in their Accor club!
Employees seemed overworked and it showed. Great location near the TV tower and botanical garden but you can do better elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank isawbones
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Arrived late at night in the middle of thunder storm to find that the Hotel has sold my room. The room was booked as part of a package with other travellers who had already booked in. Our company were very regular users of this hotel. The hotel was full, their attitude was "I don't give a t--s, your problem - will find you a room by telephone - then the costs are all yours". The good news, I ended up in the new Scandic - staff were excellent, food great and the hotel was clean and had a very pleasant buzz. See my Scandic report. Have stayed many times before - it really wasn't worth the effort. Go elsewhere!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pete L
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Hotel was clean and reasonable. Standard with a few added extra's. Bar, reception and restaurant area all next to each other. Breakfast serves your typical morning grub you get in any premier inn, or similar. They did provide a couple of extra's that I found were really good - Those little Danone Actimel morning drinks, meatballs, and one thing they had that I applaud them for - LARGE cups to drink fresh juice from in the morning. I'm so sick of hotels providing these ridiculously tiny mouthwash cups. If you've been out the night before, and also eating a large breakfast, a little kids cup isn't enough to quench your thirst. I see the business reasoning behind it, I just don't agree with it as a customer.

Situated right near the park. and on the main road. It's a 20 minute walk either side to get to any decent strip of bars or restaurants but the walk here is a lot more pleasant than a walk in the UK. A lot of cyclists, and a lot of runners who make the UK look like slobs. A lot of traffic in general.

As I was here on business, this could have done with free WiFi capability. I had to sign up for some card membership thing in order to get the passwords, which means I'll no doubt be subject to mailing list pestering.

In spite of this, they have free internet access in the reception by 2 computers that are usually empty seated.

Shower gels in the shower were scented and nice - I've been to similar hotels and they usually are odorless cheap rubbish in little plastic bottles. This stuff was slightly better.

As previously said - standard (just like hilton's and others) but with some little extra's here and there. Get free WiFi, and more large cups at breakfast and it'll definitely stick in peoples minds

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Burgess Hill
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here for two nights whilst on a recent holiday trip to Hamburg. I receive regular email offers from Mercure and this was an offer of two night stay fro the price of one. I had arranged to visit Hamburg during the week of the city's Port Festival. That started later on in the week and then the hotel rates shot up in price so I spent the rest of the week staying out of the city, a little further north in the town of Lubeck. That was very nice and you can read my review of the hotel I stayed in there in a separate posting.
Turning to this particular hotel I would say there were good and bad points. The hotel is fairly easy to get to being just about a five minute walk from the nearby Schlump U Bahn underground station which is on the U2 or U3 lines which both connect with the main railway station. Prior to making my trip I had sent an email to the hotel asking if I might be allocated a room with a nice view. I had ascertained that the hotel was next to the imposing Fernsehturm Tower and I thought it would be nice to get a good view from my room. I received a prompt reply to my request confirming that a room on the ninth floor had been reserved for me. Upon arriving at the hotel and showing my reservation details the clerk advised me that they only had a room on a lower floor. I expressed my disappointment and showed the email text I had sent and received whereupon magically a room on the ninth floor suddenly became available! It was a shame that I had to press for what I had been promised.
Once in the room I was more than pleased. A nice bright spacious room and yes the view from the two windows was all I had hoped for. It might be worth mentioning that this was room number 929 which was on the corner of the building thus offering two nice views from two angles. After a good nights sleep in the large comfortable bed I went down fairly early for breakfast. The large restaurant area was at 7.00AM packed out with what appeared to be a huge tour party of Germans. There was a large buffet style breakfast available and I made my initial selection and started to eat. When I left the table to fetch some other items upon returning I found two new people had already sat down at my table. I gave them the elbow and carried on eating! I have to say that I have experienced just as good a breakfast at several Ibis hotels where I have paid substantially less than the rather pricey 20 Euros that this meal cost and with the crowded conditions it was somewhat disappointing and not good value.
After my second night's stay I didn't bother to have breakfast in the hotel so after packing my case and preparing to leave in the morning I experienced another slightly annoying aspect as it took a full fifteen minutes to get into a lift to take me down to the lobby. The two lifts either failed to come up to my floor or when they did they were packed out with people with no more free space.
In summing up I would say that whilst the hotel does offer a good location and very pleasant rooms it did lack in some aspects which would have made my stay truly memorable.

Room Tip: Room 929 on the corner of the building does offer a great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cameramankeith
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Horrible experience.

The Hotel's cleaning person crashed through the parking garage and into my car. Hotel was completely unhelpful in resolving and offered nothing in the means of compensation (essentially telling me that as an out of country business traveler I was on my own to resolve a dispute with their subcontractor)!

Other notable problems:

Extremely long lines at front desk

Constantly broken and insufficient elevators. Elevators are so full that you have to walk up and down to your hotel room during peak hours (my business colleague had to do this from the 7th floor)!

Extremely uncomfortable beds (no box springs) and tiny rooms (this is not a 4 star hotel)

Tiny/terrible parking garage that is inviting accidents

No restroom on lobby floor

Ignorant front desk - when asked where I could eat in Hamburg on a Sunday I was told "nowhere."

Avoid at all costs. I switched to a hotel half the price for the remainder of my stay and am much happier.

Room Tip: At a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank msegall1
Surrey
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was booked into this hotel for one night with some colleagues who had been there several nights, but they didnt have a room for me, so I was put in a taxi '10 minutes ride away' maybe at 3am but not any other time. the other hotel was fine but it is not the same as being in the same hotel as your colleagues. I was not the only guest being sent somewhere else!
Came back to the hotel for breakfast which was very good

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business