“All good hotel, unpleasant area.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novum Hotel Savoy Hamburg Mitte

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Novum Hotel Savoy Hamburg Mitte
Ranked #247 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
“All good hotel, unpleasant area.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Everything was as expected, internet worked as promised, staff was friendly, room was good.
Area was pretty bad. Lot of prostitutes, beggars and junkies around. The walk from the main station was just a tad bit too far as well for me.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AJSprietsma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Hannover, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

Positive points first: staff was helpful and friendly at check in and later on. The location of the hotel is very central, just about 5 minutes walking distance to the central station and the main shopping street which also leads to the town hall and the Alster. The breakfast in the morning had a good variety and all food was tasty. Room, bathroom and all hotel facilities were super clean and with a modern design. And of course the nightly rate is pretty good for a central hotel in Hamburg!

The most negative point was the really uncomfortable bed. The mattress was so hard and the pillow almost non-existant. Though it was quiet, we didn't get much sleep because of these points. And the neighbourhood is indeed not the nicest, but we never felt disturbed by that.

Metered parking is available right in front of the hotel and is free from 18:00 to 8:00 (Saturday completely free). The hotel offers a garage for 10€ per night.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2010

Pros:
It is in a handy location (5 minute walk from the main train station, 10-15 minutes to the Rathaus).
Clean, decent-sized modern rooms.
Excellent breakfast.

Cons:
It is in an area that includes many sex-shops and street-walkers (though we never felt threatened).
There were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room.
We had the world’s thinnest pillows.
The TV was small, old and didn’t have any international (non-German speaking) channels.
The hotel is characterless and the staff not exactly friendly.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew B
Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

A very nice hotel. It's strongest point is the proximity to the railway station. We only stayed one night and we wanted somewhere quick and easy to find. Okay, so it's in a seedy area, but if you do your research beforehand, you know that. There's lots of hotels on the same street. We were there on a Sunday night, so probably quieter than usual. Our room overlooked the main road and it was busy on the Monday morning, but not noisy. The double glazing is very good at cutting out the noise. No air conditioning, but again, you know that before you book up.

Yes, the breakfast is on the 5th floor, so what! It's in a lovely room, nicely decorated and the choice of food and drink is excellent. The ladies working there couldn't have been more efficient. The food and drink were replenished before one could even bat an eyelid.

Yes, the room was rather small and the furniture dark brown, but it was all very clean and had obviously been recently refurbished. The shower room had all we needed (there was a hairdryer too) and bedlinen and towels were fine. There was also a safe in the wardrobe, which was handy. All we wanted was a place to sleep with all the comforts necessary to make our stay pleasurable.

We arrived hot and tired, gasping for a cold drink. In the lobby is a great dispensing machine, which provided us with 2 cold beers, just what the doctor ordered. The reception staff were friendly and efficient. All in all, you cannot go wrong with this little 3* hotel.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RainhamJill
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

It's newly refurbished so the rooms are neat The continental breakfast was very good and the (daytime) Reception staff friendly.

What wasn't so good? On two seperate days i was woken at 9am by Housekeeping staff who wanted to clean my room - the second occasion they even returned after half an hour and tried to come in while i was in the bathroom! To top it off, that was the day i was checking out, so why they couldn't wait 2 hours until i left my room baffles me. Furhtermore, one day they didn't clean my room at all - despite the fact that i put the 'Please clean my room' sign on the door.

The last night i was there i returned late and two friends walked me back; they have worked in the hotel business - as do i - and wanted to see the hotel and my room. When we arrived the front door was locked and there was no-one to be seen. We waited outside in the cold and when a night Receptionist finally turned up, not only did he not apologise for having locked me out of my room, he then called up to the room five minutes later to find out how long my friends would be there! As if i had somehow tried to 'smuggle' them in. So i was embarrassed and made to feel like a criminal.

In short, i have never slept as badly in my life as i did at the Savoy Novum.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank yatest
Kilkenny, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

The hotel was a good value. It was centrally located, rooms were clean & quiet, service was good. It was very near the main train station and an easy walk to a nice shopping area and into the heart of the city. My only suggestions would be that they fix the garage door of the underground parking so that I needn't have to park around the block and install AC (or, at least provide a fan) for the extremely hot days.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

Excellent location, 5 mins from main station. I used to live in Hamburg & returned after 26 years to see how things have changed, so I had an idea of hotel location I wanted. I wasn't dissappointed although you do have to walk past some erotica shops & ladies stood in doorways at the top of Steindamm to get to the station, but neither myself or my partner ever felt threatened.
The staff were very pleasant & helpful & let us leave our luggage in a locked cupboard in the lobby as we arrived before the check in time. There are 5 floors, the top floor having the breakfast room. Our room was on the second floor. There is a lift which is very small but clean & functional.
I chose this hotel through the reviews on this site - & was not dissappointed. Our room (we had a "comfort room") was compact and spotless. Usual things such as TV, en-suite shower/toilet etc. (no bath). Ticked all the boxes for us as we were just using the hotel as a base. I took my laptop & enjoyed free Wifi in our room throughout our stay.
Although on a main street, I was amazed when the window was closed, the room was completely silent. We had our window open most of the time & didn't find the noise outside distracting whatsoever.
My only "gripe" was breakfast - wasn't very varied, so for us, became a little repetitive, but that's continental breakfasts for you.
If you have a hire car, the hotel charges 10 euros per night to use their carpark, however we parked ours outside as its free until 8.00am before meters kick in again (2 euros - 2 hours max).
All in all, we were very pleased with our choice, and I would definately use this hotel again if should I visit again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple