“Terrible Terrible Place”

Ranked #201 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Longmont, Colorado
“Terrible Terrible Place”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Terrible place. The hotel is amongst the worst I have ever seen 3 stars?! Wow I can’t imagine what a 1 or 2 star hotel would look like. The pictures on the Net were taken very skillfully. Let’s start positive: the two things that are good are the cleanliness and the (5 euro) breakfast. I must admit that I have been in a few ‘higher class’ hotels which were less clean and paid way more for a breakfast buffet of lesser quality. Now the bad: I arrived after a 20 hour journey at 9 in the morning. I had asked and had gotten the confirmation back that I could check in early. When I arrived the guy at the reception said that the room wouldn’t be ready till 3. After some irritated words from my side he could get that back to noon.. I had to go to our head office in my 20 hour old travel clothes, unshaven and having not slept for 27 hours straight. Imagine the great first impression, luckily the people at the office were more than understanding. I returned to the Novum at 1PM and my room was ready. I went upstairs (5th floor) to find a closet with a bed in it. The room was so small that I couldn’t even lay my suitcase flat on the floor because of the single-plus-a-couple-of-inches bed. The bathroom was the size of my washing machine at home. I took a shower and laid down on the bed: A frame with an extremely uncomfortable plastic mattress with a 3 foot wide duvet on it. I was so dead tired that I fell asleep but woke up in the middle of the night and started thinking that I hadn’t figured out emergency escape routes yet. I got out of bed and reviewed the map on the door. I actually went out of my room to check out the emergency exits because I started getting paranoid. The building is really old and with a wooden frame that would light up like a torch in no time during a fire. I found out that the central stairway was the main emergency exit and the other one was a route that led towards a hotel room! Imagine being in a fire and having to break into a hotel room to get to the emergency exit!! Furthermore, the route to the exit leads through the center of the hotel, where the stairwell is, and where a fire would have the easiest path to develop (chimney effect). So there you have two escape routes close to each other, one of them being behind a locked door.. I had at that point already complained and was promised another room the next day. I came back to the hotel on day 2, got my new room key and went to the fourth floor to find my new room. The fire safety situation was the same. I opened my room door to find a slightly larger room with two “beds” of about 3 feet wide. Possibly a worse room than I had in the first place!! I grabbed my suitcase, went downstairs and told the girl at the front desk that I was going to a different hotel. My stay in Hamburg was for 22 nights and I was planning to spend them at the Novum. I had prepaid 1780 euros which they informed me was non-refundable. I told them that I would pay for the one night I stayed but that they best give me back the rest. I left it with that and in the taxi on the way to the Mercure hotel I called American Express Platinum Service to freeze the funds and start a dispute procedure. I found rooms for the rest of my stay at the Mercure, Suite Novotel, and Novotel. All great basic large chain hotels of excellent quality which cost me THE SAME average nightly price as the Novum!! The only thing is that these hotels don’t offer the same cheap breakfast but Hamburg is full of bakeries with really nice freshly baked sandwiches for even less than 5 euros..

Something about the neighborhood the Novum is in. This part of town is really rough. There are (male and female) prostitutes and pimps on the street, they talk to you when you walk by. There are sex shops everywhere, in fact the hotel entrance is wedged between two massive sexshops with “private dvd cabins”. I was disgusted just walking by these places. There is a big gay community in this neighborhood. Rainbow flags everywhere and there is a gay sauna right around the corner. I have nothing against gay people, but the guys here are just plainly disgusting. I sat down for dinner in this shabby kebab place and was checked out by this guy in a way that I lost my appetite and left. The one night I spent at the hotel I woke up from screaming on the streets a few times, I don’t even want to know what was going on. When it wasn’t screaming it were sirens. This is really the part of the city “where the sun don’t shine”. I almost bought a can of pepper spray, but got out instead.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel, stick with a large chain
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank s9601694

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed April 26, 2011

OK in all fairness we didnt stay here! The hotel was in between two sex show shops and we have three year old girl and we just couldnt stand the area nor the sex shops and gay sauna that were further up the road. I sat in the car whilst my husband cancelled the room the area is rough and if we were on our own it wouldnt have mattered but not suitable at all for young children!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank anon3033

Travelers are raving about these Hamburg hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed November 7, 2010

If you are looking for a luxury stay, than this is not the place.

On the other side, If you want an economic stay like me this is the right place. Rooms are clean, bed was confortable, very close to Central Station (Bahnhof), Turkish Restaurants & Mc Donalds and some other choises like steak house etc, staff is helpfull & free internet access.

I can suggest this hotel for the people, whose main aim is sleeping in a clean enviroment.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
stockholm
Reviewed April 17, 2010

This hotel lies about 5 minutes walk from railwaystation. The door to hotel is between two sex shops (!) but the hotel is very secure and nobody bothered us on the street.
The location is exellent, friendly staff, the room was very big, clean and the beds excellent to sleep in and the bathroom with shower had good size. Very good breakfast included to excellent price! The only negative thing we could find was the size of the television set! It was tiny in that big room.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2010

We stayed one night at the Novum, having booked with Booking.com and getting a rate of 85 Euro for what turned out to be a very nice, large room at the back of the hotel (Room 210) which was spotlessly clean. The TV had all German channels (no CNN, BBC etc so don't plan on staying in to watch English TV!! There was no kettle etc .
The breakfast buffet was excellent, in a pleasant dining room next to reception.
The location is very convenient, a 3 minute walk from the train station and underground. It is however in the middle of sex shops etc, literally the small entrance door is sandwiched between two of them! - and a bit intimidating when first seen. But we did feel safe, and the hotel receptionists and staff were very helpful and pleasant. Not an area for families to stay in though, or if you are squeamish! (I was solicited once by a local "lady", which for me at age 62 was actually quite a strange experience that had not happened to me for a long time!!) Overall, a very good value hotel, once you're inside!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank frequent-flyer21
Barcelona
Reviewed March 12, 2010

The first time I arrived to the hotel, it smell really good, like flowers.
It was really warm inside. You could tell the difference between exterior weather and inside hotel. Ver nice decorated. Very clean. The service from receptionist excellent (24 hours service). The room price-quality , the best !!!
Really close the the main train station, around 5 minutes walking !!
The only inconvenience, in my opinion, is the street where is at.
Many sex shops, it was a bit unconfortable if you go with your boss or kids.
For the rest, really good. I would definetely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Izmir
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Friendly Staff
Good location of the Hotel, 5 min. to Hauptbahnhof and 3 min. to ZOB on foot
Nice Breakfast
Nice hotelroom, 24 hour Reception

We stayed there for two nights. One night for €149 and second night for €77.. Because of the saturday night... Different costs for weekdays... :(

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family