“Top notch”

Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Ranked #32 of 322 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is an excellent hotel in an excellent position. The rooms are great. The staff are friendly. The restaurants are excellent and served by friendly attentive staff. The only drawback is the nutty architecture which put staircases between the lift and the rooms.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Peter V,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Gilles Felgen

Write a ReviewReviews (2,645)

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Reviewed March 27, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We spent the weekend in Hamburg and chose this hotel as we wanted a comfortable stay close to the centre. The service was excellent from start to finish. Room was terrific; great view onto the river and very stylish. We used the spa everyday and had a cocktail in the bar every night! Hotel is good value and run on very professional lines. Staff are superb.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear JohnOtrips,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as we have committed ourselves to make you feel at home while away.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will be happy to pass your feedback over to my team, of course.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.
Dear JohnOtrips, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I've been there for two night, and I have to say there is nothing special.
Gym really poor, swimming pool and SPA really nice, the bed is amazing and the room ok, the toilette not really special for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear caliolo,

thank you very much for having commented your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.
We assure you that it is our highest ambition to have satisfied guests who are looking forward to return to our hotel. Therefore it is much to our regret that your stay in our hotel did not perfectly match with your plan and expectations. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
We are really sorry that the Single room did not meet your expectations. I would recommend to book the next higher room category which is more or less 9 sqm larger than the Single room.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed in the Sofitel in March 2014 for two nights.. I would have never booked this hotel because of it's hideous facade that doesn't attract me at all. Due to a dreadful conference in Hamburg this was one of the few options left.

The check in was adequate and the staff friendly and welcoming. It was nice to hear that this hotel offers basic internet for checking mail etc for free. That's how it should be in any 5-Star hotel. The receptionist told me that I had booked a room with canal view and that she had a nice room for me. I was given a room on the 4th floor. The windows in the room are so small that it's impossible to see the canal unless you climb over the desk. Not worth the extra money and a bit misleading. The room is not that big. The bed is comfortable and very soft, not my style but nothing wrong with it. The bathroom is below 5-Star standards, A shower cabine with a small shower that only can be used as a handshower because the fitting for the shower is way too loose. Mold in the corners of the bathroom. Big plus are the many international tv channels. There are better 5-Star hotels in Hamburg.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for a canal view room, windows are very small and form the higher floo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Jumeirah23,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
I would really appreciate to contact our Quality Manager ( Tel : +49 40 369 500 or h5395-qm@sofitel.com) in order to provide him with your room number so that we can check the cleanliness in the bathroom.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

On the plus side, the hotel is very modern, very efficient and with very polite and friendly multilingual staff. The hotel is very centrally positioned for Hamburg's extensive and perhaps rather expensive shopping areas. The rooms are kept very clean and have all the services that I think anyone could really need.

On the average side the hotel seems to me lack a welcoming centre. The public areas are fitted out in a way that a business traveller might find pleasant for a short stay but I found strangely soulless. The reception area gives me the impression it would fit an upmarket transit lounge where loitering about is neither expected nor welcomed. In effect it is superficially pleasant but hanging out should be done somewhere else. The bed was extremely soft. I prefer the direct opposite.

My minus point was going to be a real plus point but has turned out to be the opposite. I came to Hamburrg to work but work outside the hotel was limited to the afternoon. I worked in the hotel in the mornings and evenings. To keep myself company I turned on the TV and found, to my surprise found that some of the bbc and itv stations are available. Yey. Unfortunately, and very annoyingly, the reception disappeared in the evening. Boo. The bbc channels, (although not bbc world!)went first and then the three itv channels and all usually in the middle of a programme though not at the same time as either each other or at the same time in the evening. It seems a small thing but I found it incredibly irritating although that may just be a sad reflection of me. Did Poirot solve the crime? I will never find out. Sad face. Mentioning it to reception did not result in a change while I was here.

I hope travellers and the hotel find the review useful. As an aside to the GM, and I mean this in a spirit of helfullness, I have read the responses to other reviews and, it seems to me that cutting back on the unctious tone would make the responses seem more sincere. Just an idea.

Room Tip: The classic room are perfectly adequate but if you want more than the basic amount of room you need...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear City4ever1927,

thank you very much for your positive feedback. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. In particular, thank you for your lovely comments about our team. It will be a great pleasure to share your kind words with them.
If the soothing MyBed concept were not to your satisfaction, please let us know before your next arrival, so that we can remove the MyBed that you can sleep a little bit harder.
Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your experience regarding the TV in your guest room, I have already addressed it to the responsible manager.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Alter Wall business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.