“Not disappointed”

Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Ranked #28 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed in this Sofitel in 2009 and had an absolute brilliant stay then, so now I returned last weekend with my wife as we were going too watch a Musical in Hamburg. We both loved it again, my wife loved the SPA area and used this extensively. Upon arrival we received an upgrade from the superior room too the Junior Suite which was a pleasant surprise. The breakfast sounds a little expensive but so worth it, usually we eat breakfast in the room but I wouldn't here. All in all a brilliant stay, lovely and helpful staff (booking of restaurant etc) I certainly will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the Alster, this will make it extra special.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear wallyspain,

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will be happy to pass your feedback over to my team, of course.
Kindly be informed that we offer different choices of breakfast, so please do not hesitate to contact our restaurant staff during your next stay.

We are glad you have found a second home when travelling to Hamburg and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Nice, spacious room with very awesome bed and bedcovers, really felt like I could sink in and sleep :) Breakfast was amazing with chocolate cupcakes delicousness.. and pancakes were made when asked! Enjoyed it, Thank you!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AnnIeven
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Annleven,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.
In addition it is a pleasure to read that the great morning buffet with french flair met your expectations and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Been staying a number of times at this hotel, and was now back again some 3 years after the last stay. Was looking forward as I remembered a splendid hotel and service! Sadly I was very dissappointed! Room was very small, bed very soft and bathrom amneties very poor for what is 5* hotel. Even more so that you have one small and one large towel brings the feeling of a budget hotel rather tham pampering luxury... On the more important side there are no electric outlet by the desk, meaning you either need to craw along the floor to connect your laptop, or work in bed.
The real dissappointment was served for breakfast. Another good memory that now was a great disappointment. My rate didn't include breakfast, and the rate is high. But if it is marvellous geraman 5* hotel breakfast, it's worth the money. At this one they obviously want to make sure you pay for what you eat. I was asked to pay upfront with a credit card before entering. Even if I had placed all credit card details at the reception upon check-in. Selection poor compared to 5* german hotels. Three types of juice, a limited selection of bakery goods and in general not very tempting. The lemon slices served along with the tea was dry, and in an early fermenting stage. Some of the "desserts" looked like they'd been on the buffet for some days and had unappealing skin.
Had an early check-out and at 5:30 am there were a number of us waiting to check out as only one person working in reception. Service correct, but not very friendly as overall impression. Exception was a very nice and helpful lady in the reception that helped sorting out some practical questions.
Really sorry to experience theat a previous favourite hotel did far from deliver this time. Will choose other options in Hamburg for the future unless things change back a Sofitel.
Me: 40 yo senior executive, spending some 90 nighs/year in hotels worldwide. Not a complainer, but will let know when let down.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Tommy H
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Tommy H,

thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincere apologies.
It is our goal thanks to high Sofitel standards to make your stay always the most comfortable one.
We are really sorry that the Single room did not meet your expectations. I would recommend to book the next higher room category which is more or less 9 sqm larger than the Single room.
Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your check out experience which will help us to improve.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Hotel is consistently brilliant. The staff are great, and the rooms are very nice and modern with huge windows and lots of natural light.

The food is great (room service) and the bar downstairs is really nice with great drinks. The terrace at the bar downstairs is useful for smoking and it's REALLY great in the summer.

Some of the rooms have Hermes toiletries which are awesome as well.

Definitely an extremely nice hotel with very consistent stays and a solid choice for Hamburg.

Room Tip: Some of the suites facing the water have tiny step out balconies.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear SohanTanna,

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We enjoyed our 6 night stay here. Staff, rooms and facilities were all excellent. The bar and restaurant were very good although priced for the business traveller although the meal we did have was very good - but not good value compared to some of the eating experiences we enjoyed close by. Concierge was very knowledgeable and very helpful and we appreciated the hints and tips he gave us. As the trip was to celebrate my wife's birthday I teated her to a massage in the hotel spa and she said that was also very good. All in all a very good stay - despite the freezing cold spell we experienced whilst there !

Room Tip: We enjoyed our view overlooking the canal/river
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear CAHA,

Thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as we have committed ourselves to make you feel at home while away.

Dear CAHA, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Invited my mum for a 3 night stay over Christmas. Checked the website and different booking options then rang reservation and a very helpful lady recommended the luxury rooms based on my requirements regarding views and high floor. Location is fabulous with major attractions in walking distance and several metro lines to choose from.

The room was spacious and very well equipped with a fantastic bathroom.

Service was unobtrusive but always there when needed and breakfast definitely one of the best I had with a great choice.

We really enjoyed our stay and I'll return gladly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Hello-Ms-B,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

The hotel was a positive surprise from the start to the end. The location is excellent and in short walking distance to shopping areas. The hotel features a modern design, cleanliness and staff that were at all times friendly and accommodating. I would have loved to take the bed home with me - it was sooo comfortable. For a hotel of that class it is really quite moderately priced.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank RichMei
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear RichMei,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and as well for taking the time to write your feedback.
It is nice to read that the room with the soothing “My Bed” concept makes your stay an unforgettable experience. Kindly be informed that you can purchase our special “My Bed” concept to enjoy the same comfortable sleep and Sofitel experience at home. Please do not hesitate to contact our Quality Manager ( Tel : +49 40 369 500 or h5395-QM@sofitel.com) for more information.
I would like to thank you for your positive comments and pass them over to my team.

Dear RichMei, once again thank you for having chosen the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall to stay at and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Sincerely