“Very good location, funky rooms”

Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Ranked #26 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Very good location, funky rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

With the hotel being less than a 5 minute walk to both an overground and underground station, this hotel is in a perfect location to access Hamburg for a visitor.

The hotel itself is has a nice cocktail bar just off the lobby with a respectable range of cocktails and Scotch Whisky.

I never ate dinner at the hotel but the breakfast is definitely up there. Selection is very good, but what makes it stand out is the quality on offer. Options for all here.

There are only two things that let this hotel down. 1, the gym. It's tiny. In fairness Sofitel does look like it has quite a good spa, but I think they've hedged their bets in that direction which made the gym suffer. Only one treadmill (second one out of order), one elliptical trainer, one exercise bike and some weights.

The other complaint is the room. Although very well laid out, clean and tidy, it is a bit too contemporary for a sleeping area. A lot of white and a random picture of two peoples faces on the headboard? A little weird. But in any case, the important aspects were good - comfortable bed, good night sleep.

Would recommend for business trips.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Foodgoorou,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.
In addition it is a pleasure to read that the great morning buffet with french flair met your expectations and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Gilles Felgen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Check in. A crowd at getting advice from the front desk meant a short wait. Then when I got to the desk one of the crowd came back and I was totally ignored for 5 minutes while her requests were dealt with. The agent then looked at me blankly and asked if he could help...this despite me already having given my name, explained I wanted to check in and handed him my credit card. No apology for that, or that it took 10 mins from walking through the door get served. Welcome drink offered as an A Club Platinum benefit but no late check out as the hotel is busy.

Room. Tiny. I had booked a single and they are small. A queen size bed shoehorned into the room but an oddly large hallway. No bath. Nicely decorated though in soft warm tones. No A Club Platinum upgrade but that is pretty typical of the chain. As always if they had explained no upgrade was possible because the hotel was full I would have understood. Dodging the point totally isn't so clever.

Bar. 15 minutes before any of the staff noticed me, and that was only achieved by standing up and waving at them. Service was then very good but a sour taste left by the large, handwritten TIP on the bill. This is Germany, not the US! Drinks were good but the food over priced and mediocre, charging Euro17 for a few microwaved sausages and oven chips.

Bed. Very comfortable but by this point I was annoyed so noticed all the things that didn't work for me. Two small overly soft uncomfortable pillows, a flickering bed side light, poor sound proofing so I could hear every passing conversation in the hallway, no obvious do not disturb sign so housekeeping knocked at 9am.

Checkout. Another crowd of people, no obvious attempt at serving people in order. Disappointing again.

For Euro155 that was poor value for money, especially the service and also a reminder why Accor A Club is a really, really bad loyalty programme. I would look elsewhere when I come back to Hamburg.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear SHNW6,

thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
It is our goal thanks to high Sofitel standards to make your stay always the most comfortable one.

Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your experience with our Front Office and 7 Heads Bar Team which will help us to improve.
We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and we do hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Centrally located and an easy walk from public transportation. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent (though a tad expensive if not booked as part of the room rate). The room was clean and spacious. I have no complaints and would definitely stay there again - and recommend it to others!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jon C,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as we have committed ourselves to make you feel at home while away.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will be happy to pass your feedback over to my team, of course.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.
Kindly be informed that we offer different choices of breakfast, so please do not hesitate to contact our restaurant staff during your next stay.

Dear Jon C, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Sofitel Alter Wall is located in the city center, close to shopping, sights, and transportation. The hotel itself is a pleasure, with well appointed and spacious rooms and a large lobby that is never congested. The front desk service is excellent with the staff eager to assist in answering questions and providing information about restaurants, shopping, sight seeing, etc. A very positive experience at this hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Phillipd3,

thank you so much for your very positive feedback. I highly appreciate it and I would personally like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experiences during your recent stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel!
Best regards,
Turin, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Top Location close to down town Hamburg with restaurants, shopping, sight seeing etc. Also, the next metro station is 2 minutes away, a bus stop is right in front of the hotel. Very friendly and professional staff, especially the concierge was exceptionally helpful. We paid Euro 200 ($ 260) for a double room including breakfast, this was the lowest rate and may explain why we had a fairly small room. The breakfast was certainly above average, it was partially served (which I liked very much). The spa/pool/gym is not the largest, but it had a nice exclusive atmosphere, again friendly staff, well maintained equipment and facilities. One bed were somewhat worn out which was probably the only negative thing we had to say.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Rickunds,

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to them, especially the colleagues from the concierge desk.
Moreover kindly be informed that we can remove the MyBed so that you can sleep a little bit harder.

Dear Rickunds, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Fabulous hotel in prime location - easy access to S bahn u bahn and walking. Canal view as requested, huge room, beautifully furnished. Breakfast was the best ever - topping the choice of other 5* hotels and cruises. All Staff very helpful and room well serviced.Christmas time was beautiful in Hamburg but a great city to visit and certainly one we will re-visit..No time to use spa faciities as only a short break but hope to return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking canal are great.