“So moving - you have to try it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dialog IM Dunkeln

Dialog IM Dunkeln
Ranked #12 of 302 things to do in Hamburg
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The idea is simple: In completely darkened rooms blind people lead small groups of guests through an exhibition in which everyday situations are experienced altogether differently, without eyesight. In the dark, the daily routine becomes a new experience. A reversion of roles is created: sighted people are confronted with different ways of perception; blind people provide them with security and a sense of orientation transmitting a world without pictures.In addition to the exhibition, we still offer the Dinner in the Dark, Seminars & Trainings in the dark, Brunch in Silence and other great events.The response is remarkable: Since 1988 "Dialog im Dunkeln" was presented in more than 30 countries and over 130 cities worldwide and it has reached up to 8 million visitors.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“So moving - you have to try it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner went here on the off chance and luckily they had an English slot available (booking is advisable). It cost 15 euros and is the best money we have spent. Bianca on reception welcomed us and spoke good English. She was lovely.
Whilst we waited for our exhibition time slot there were things for us to do such as testing our hearing, senses etc.
our tour which last 1 hour was led by Benny...he was very professional and made us feel at ease. The tour was very moving - it was quite hard at
first but with Benny's help we completed the tour and were really happy. It is such an eye opener. We would recommend everyone to take the time out to do this. They have a cafe, toilets and locker. Very well organised and really lovely staff, thank you Bianca & Benny :)

Visited May 2014
3 Thank AmyAlice12

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“One of the best experiences ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

this was a truly great experience and its for a great cause my kids loved it. Its to raise awareness for the blind and it is a great way to get people to understand the day to day struggle blind people go through. the meal wasn't the best food however the experience of eating it made up for it. if your in Hamburg this is a must.

Visited August 2013
Adelaide, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic! Perception changing experience I would not have missed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

This was one of my favourite things to do on my trip!
I heard about it via trip advisor recommendations but had no idea what to expect other than a simple description.

The jist is to raise blind awareness, So you go into a pitch black setting with the blind walking sticks and a blind staff member will lead you through a bunch of different settings which are a part of everyday life for a blind person, i.e. wandering the markets, crossing the road etc (I don't want to ruin them all, but there are definitely a few gems :) )

It's very scary at the start and you find yourself in very close quarters with the other group members, bumping into one another and fumbling around the place. But I think the after effects of the experience are well worth a few moments of awkwardness!

I was able to get it for around 13EU with student discount but I think it's usually around 19EU.
The staff were incredibly friendly, and helpful. I went on an "English tour," Which unfortunately really meant in my group of five, as I was the only English speaker, the man leading us through the tour would switch between English and German. It was a bit confusing being surrounded by Germans and having to listen out for the English but the staff member was very considerate and hospitable to my confusion.

I found that I had to book a time for the English tour, so if you plan to do this, go in at the start of the day and book a time, which leaves you to wander around whilst you wait.
It's directly across a small bridge once you leave the Meßberg UBahn Station.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Jimmycakes
Bengaluru, India
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Totally unexpected !! What an experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

The experience was completely unexpected and unique. The dinner is in pitch dark just guided by waiters and you are not told what will be served .. Go for it ! We did this for our team dinner and it was worth the time and money spent

Visited February 2014
2 Thank shanart
Hamburg, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic, unique and valuable experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Highly recommended. A unique chance to encouter the world in a completely different way with excellent guides who you get a chance to chat to and ask questions to at the end, a fantastic idea to break down barriers between fully sighted people and those who are visually impaired. Learn by doing. Unmissable.

Visited January 2014