“Don't miss it!”

Ranked #11 of 305 things to do in Hamburg
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The idea is simple: In completely darkened rooms blind people lead small groups of guests through an exhibition in which everyday situations are experienced altogether differently, without eyesight. In the dark, the daily routine becomes a new experience. A reversion of roles is created: sighted people are confronted with different ways of perception; blind people provide them with security and a sense of orientation transmitting a world without pictures.In addition to the exhibition, we still offer the Dinner in the Dark, Seminars & Trainings in the dark, Brunch in Silence and other great events.The response is remarkable: Since 1988 "Dialog im Dunkeln" was presented in more than 30 countries and over 130 cities worldwide and it has reached up to 8 million visitors.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Moscow, Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Don't miss it!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I booked a place for an English-guided tour a week before the visit - make sure you have a reservation, because this place is of a high demand! In fact, what they meant by English tour was an ability of the particular guide to speak English, but not that the tour will be in English (although if you're a big group (of 6 - 8 English speakers), they might be able to provide the tour in English.) I was visiting alone, so when I came to Dialog im Dunkeln, it turned out that I was the only one on that tour who didn't speak German (I understand a little bit of it, but not comfortable to communicate.) But I can tell you it even helped - it was an advantage to experience not only the life of a blind person, but also the one who doesn't understand a language. After 10 - 15 minutes in the dark I started to explore the new world with a huge interest and tried carefully to know about the people around and our guide - amazing Sonia, whom we actually haven't seen in the end (I guess, it is the idea of the tour) - it gave a lot of new feelings and memories. If you're in Hamburg, please try it!

Visited October 2013

112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Worthwhile experience”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We made reservations for an english tour the day before. The tour was 90 minutes long and started promptly at the ticketed time. Groups were limited to 8 people, so the day can be sold out early during peak season. We spent all 90 minutes in total darkness as a guide led us through several different environments. For example you walk through a small market and can touch the fruit/veggies as you find your way through the market and attempt to cross the street. The tour ends at a bar where you order, pay for, and enjoy your beverage in total darkness.

You do have to check your bags, cell phones, back-lit watches, and anything else that has a light function, so I'd recommend you slim down your baggage before you arrive.

Highly recommended if you haven't experienced this before.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Sweagle97
Ware, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Unique experience”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I used to live in Hamburg and after discovering Dialog im Dunkeln came again and again taking other people along. This time I went during a short visit to Hamburg after not being there for several years and was still amazed. It's a fantastic experience, a bit scary to start with when suddenly you are robbed of one of your senses but 'eye opening' to what blind people are facing on a daily basis. I would recommend to do the longer tour (90 mins) as you get more and more into it the longer it lasts, the other senses get stronger and you start losing fear.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank AnPaKe
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Interesting concept, but not worth it”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

A college recommend this to me. First, the tours are held in German, and the help in english is almost inexistent.
Second, you can do most of the stuff you experience there at home.
And finally, it is too expensive, there are so much more things to do that are worth those 20 euros per person, not this one.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank MASCH13
Leeds, United Kingdom
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Unique and educational experience!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

In essence, it is a 90-minute experience of being blind. It sounds plain, but the tour is so well conducted and very educational!
I saw that booking in advance is advised, especially for non-German speakers. But we tried our luck and got in the only English tour on that day (5 minutes after we arrived). The girl at the reception desk was very helpful and speaks good English!
You are given a walking stick, and no blind-fold (not necessary, blinking does not change a thing).
The tour is set up for different scenarios, for which I am not giving more details. You have to experience it yourself!
The place organise dinner in the dark as well, but it is 55€ per head (I guess 4-5 courses meal), so we did not try that. But we did have a beer in the dark bar at the end of the tour.
Definitely an offbeaten path attration, but worth a visit. It does make you appreciate the things you take for granted a bit more.

Visited June 2013