“Much nicer than chain hotels, if a bit dated” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vorbach Hotel

Vorbach Hotel
Ranked #102 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Chicago
“Much nicer than chain hotels, if a bit dated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel. My room is huge (I suspect it is not the "standard" single room I booked, but there was no upcharge), and the bar is always open. It is very convenient to the University of Hamburg. There are some excellent restaurants nearby. I am very happy I cancelled my reservation at the Radisson Blu and am staying here instead. The staff is very helpful. Take note: the Vorbach is by no means a luxury hotel. The decor is a bit dated, and after dark you need to use a key to several times to complete the journey from the outside to your room. I tend to prefer boutique hotels but was on a budget, and I am very happy with this choice.

Room Tip: Room 407 is very quiet and large, with a nice view of the courtyard in back.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank david_andrews

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Hamburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

A very good hotel and an excelent big room with a large bathroom. (television doesn't have any Italian channel.......and the pillows aren't comfortable but the rest is really OK)
The hotel is in a nice part of the town near the University, central but quiet and surrounded by small restoring places, restaurants etc. The Strassbahn station is at 5 minutes walking and by Strassbahn you can go everywhere. A place to come bach again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

What I liked about this hotel was: (1) the friendliness of the staff; (2) their willingness to help you; (3) the updated bathrooms, and (4) it's location for what I needed to do. If I had been paying for the room, I would also have noted how cheap it is (or put nicely, its arguable value for money).

I would take a pass on pretty much everything else; and if I had to stay in Hamburg again, I would probably not stay here and I would do my homework to get a different place. This is not to insult the staff, because I very much enjoyed all my interactions with them. But the hotel was dated in nearly every other respect. The furniture in the rooms was 1970s chic. The beds were not sufficiently firm and I felt like I was sinking in (but if you like that, it would be a real plus). In the first room I had there, the TV was easily from the early 1990s and the remote control was broken. Which meant every time I turned it on manually, I had to search by hand for the one channel (CNN) in English. That got old after a while. Also, I note that the rooms have the most confusing keys. I didn't realize that you have to lock your door from the inside -- and I ended up having some trouble with getting this to work. Also, depending upon which "house" you're staying in, you may have lots of extra locks to open. Just watch out for this.

The absolute kicker, however, was the thump thump thump thumping from the music that kept me awake on a Friday night. I wasn't sure where it was coming from, but when the poor night clerk came to my room (at midnight) to help me figure out where it was coming from, we discovered it was coming from the university across the way. There was no way that they could control this. But as I was jetlagged and desperately needed some sleep, they were kind enough to move me to a different room for the night where I could get some sleep.

The breakfast in the morning was utterly unremarkable for Europe. Bread, meet, yogurt, fruit, coffee. Fair enough. It wasn't awful. It just wasn't spectacular.

Bottom line, I wouldn't come back here -- but it's not because of the staff -- it's because the owners should just put some real maintenance and capital into the facilities.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a room facing the university on a weekend, particularly a Friday. It will keep you awake...
Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Nagasaki, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

First impression was like entering an elegant old familiar establishment. The staff was very kind and friendly. The ceilings in the hotel are high like Victorian buildings with deep cornices, they have preserved the original style with the hotel makeover and introduced some mod cons like elevator in the centre of the stairwell. The breakfast was fantastic, I did not want to move from the elegant dining room. If you cannot sleep the bar is open 24 hours, or you can go for a walk around the neighbourhood and savour the architectural delights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I enjoyed by three day stay at the Vorbach Hotel. The hotel is only 5 minutes from the Domntor train station. There is an events/information office in the train station that can provide you with a map and directions to the hotel. The hotel itself, seems to be two buildings connected on the second floor. The building features classic tradional German architecture but the interior is a bit simpler and basic. My room was as small as I have ever stayed in. I had to sit in the only chair and prop my feet up on the bed in order to work on my lap top. The door into the bathroom didn't completely open before it banged up against the toilet. That being said, the room offered everything I needed as I wasn't at the hotel much. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. The hotel offers breakfast in a confined space on the second floor each morning. The waiting staff are great but the breakfast is pretty basic. As far as I could determine, you had a choice of a soft boiled egg or a hard boiled egg, to go with selection of cold plates available on the one buffet table. The hotel is in a great location for sight seeing. You can rent bikes from a shop at the University a block away and pedal to the downtown canals and cathedrals in 5 minutes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Somerset West, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

My stay in this hotel was extremely pleasant and for a decent price. Room with lots of natural light and a view of a big tree. Very peaceful.
Great, strong shower and good breakfast.
Very friendly staff.
Highly recommended :-)

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Ronel B
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

elegant old bulding with very spacious rooms including top designed bathrooms and kitchen with all you need for a pleasant stay.
the Hotel is based at the top district of the city of Hamburg,10 minutes walk to the "Alster" or "Jungfernstieg",the famous shopping area.
also "Opera","Thalia-Theater"and "Laeizhalle",the best place for concerts are within walking distance.
just at the corner from"Rothenbaumchaussee",where you find all kinds of restaurants,europeen,asian,german food....
i recommend the Hotel Vorbach!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business