“Unique atmosphere, helpful staff”
Review of Hostel Kiezbude

and 1 more site!
Hostel Kiezbude
Ranked #33 of 108 Specialty Lodging in Hamburg
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Look. It's an inexpensive hostel on the loud, seedy Reeperbahn (party district) that used to be a brothel. Do not expect five-star quality, class, and quiet. Do not expect anything "family-friendly." But if this sounds interesting and fun to you, then I promise it will be.
Our room was very basic, but the decor kept with the spirit of the place's old purpose, which we thought was entertaining. Peter, the guy at the front desk, went above and beyond in helping us find cool places for sightseeing, dining, and fun. We spoke to him in German but it seems he knew English as well. Without his recommendations, I don't think we'd have found nearly as much cool stuff to do.
I wish there'd been a few more accessible toilets, and by accessible, I mean able to be used without embarrassing yourself. The ladies' room had two facilities but no stalls to divide them, just a sparse beaded curtain, so unless you're adventurous or mad drunk, it can effectively only be occupied by one person at a time.
All in all, I loved this place. The price was right, the location was unbeatable, the staff was great, and the atmosphere had a really unique and entertaining character. If I find myself in Hamburg again, I'll be here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Went here in December when it was reasonably quiet and really enjoyed my stay. Peter the guy that runs the place is very helpful and advised the places to go in Hamburg and the ereas to steer clear of, the bird that works with him aint to shabby on the eye either. Nice room and comfy bed, excellent location tho decor not to my taste.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Arrived with a group staying the weekend for a stag doo. In a very run down area and the building is covered on the outside by grafitti, so much so that you dont beleive there is a door. We checked in and you have to see the decor to believe it. The rooms were basic and noisy but for all the time we spent there they were fine for a group of lads.

On check in we were rudely greeted by the owner and thought we would have problems with him. If you dont mind being spoke to like naughty children or been screamed at and having temper tantrums displayed in front of you then you'll love it. And that was before we had even been passed a room key. Never have I met a person with so little social skills and such anger problems!

I certainly wouldnt recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AKelly78
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a stag do...location bang in the middle of party central....a bit noisy due to constant night life outside till 7 in the morning....but overall does what it says on he tin!!!receptionists are helpful so please use for and advice....

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This place is really something. The extremely sleazy decorations are hilarious and weirdly charming in its extremity.

The location is great, right by the nice bars in St. Pauli and next to the S-Bahn.

The personel were really cool, relaxed and open, and gave me and my friend some great advices for places to go - and most importantly don't go.

Don't hesitate going here, if you ar looking for at cheap place for a wild weekend in Hamburg.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2012

First view from outside is scary as the building looks like abandoned. Once inside, the pshycodelic style of the reception help to make the first impression less bad and that's all.

The lady in front desk was nice but there was a man not so friendly supervising every step of her who also didn't give any sign of welcome while my friend and I were checking-in.
The room for four was terrible, the only "good" thing was the colours in the walls. The bed was the cheapeast possible with no comfort at all. In the middle of the night the room was all bright as the windows was not covered by a good courtain.
In the reception they were selling ear protectors due to a simple reason: if you don't buy, you don't sleep as the rooms are facing the main avenue in St. Pauli.
I was charged for the towel and this to me is something that I guess is a bit old fashioned in the world of hostels, but is acceptable once you have at least a good one, but this was not the case.
The other night I choose to spend at another Hostel called Generator and this was a really great experience. Kiezbude urgent demands professional administration.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Was awoken in the middle of the night by the owner screaming and threatening people within the hostel for apparently forgetting their key. Very scary and intimidating. Only one male and one female toilets in the entire building. Very noisy and in a very seedy part of town. I would avoid this place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends