“Very convenient, comfortable, good experience”

Courtyard Hamburg Airport
Ranked #69 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Like many I was visiting for just one night in advance of a departing flight. It's so close to the airport you can walk from the terminal and S-bahn station to the hotel. They suggest being safe and taking the shuttle, but really it is not far and stay on the sidewalk to the left, along the parking lots, and then left at the traffic circle and over the bridge and just a short distance further and the hotel is on the left. It was a refreshing walk for me and easy with wheeled luggage.

The reception was gracious, everything clean and well prepared. The room was decent sized, bed comfortable, and everything in order. If you're not from Europe or accustomed to it, the room lighting doesn't work until you put your door key card ALL the way into the dimly list slot and until it CLICKS. Thankfully they left the TV on to provide a glow to the room so you can even find the room light control slot for the key.

The noise of the airport is not that noticeable as the windows are fairly sound proof it seems. Also, it appears Hamburg does not allow flights between midnight and 6am. I didn't have the breakfast or use any of the restaurant services so I can't comment on that.

This is a great choice if you have to travel, or even as a cheaper alternative to staying in the center of the city with the convenience of the rail service.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed November 30, 2013

About 10 minutes on foot to and from Hamburg airport if you're in reasonable shape and carrying light bags. It's paved all the way and a straight line so you'd have to be an idiot to get lost, but it's very exposed to the wind. Free shuttle from early to late every half hour, or on request. I asked for a special run away from the usual half hourly slot and the driver was outside before I'd reached the van. On the downside, he was the only member of staff I met who was all smiles.
Plenty of parking outside. Efficient but dour check-in, which set the tone for my few dealings with the desk staff. They were always responsive, everything I asked for was agreed politely, but I've had warmer receptions at funerals.
There are only two or three floors and I didn't notice significant noise from outside the hotel or from the airport during my stay. The internal walls, however, are paper thin.
The room was small but adequate, Courtyard normal, and had more storage space than I found in the Marriott on ABC Straße. Empty minibar, which I like. Couldn't fault the cleaning. MR gold got the usual free wifi (146kB/s, phone and tablet simultaneously, no drop offs) but no breakfast, and if that was a room upgrade I'd hate to see what steerage looks like. Small bathroom with shower cubicle, minimum of toiletries, no robe or slippers.
If you're not Marriott gold or platinum expect to pay through the nose for wifi and breakfast unless there's some kind of package available.
Didn't try any of the food offerings as I was out and about early to late. Bear in mind that the hotel's on the edge of a quiet suburb half an hour from Hamburg so you will be short of food options if you base here instead of in the city; realistically, in the hotel or at the airport, which has an Edeka supermarket and a decent and very comprehensive restaurant called Marché in terminal 2.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank voronUK
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was a last minute reservation for one night. The accommodation was great. Staff was helpful and friendly except for one arrogant male at the reception desk. We were particularly surprised by how quiet the rooms and the entire hotel are, considering how close they are to the airport. We did not eat at the restaurant because we knew about a fabulous Chinese restaurant close by from a previous visit to Hamburg, so have no comment about the restaurant.

However it was during this previous visit to Hamburg that the Courtyard by Marriot really shone. Our then hotel did not have airport transportation so we approached the Courtyard hotel to see weather they would take us to the airport. They just asked us to be at their hotel with our luggage and they would certainly drive us to the airport. Now that is service.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Unfriendly staff, bad house keeping, expensive restaurant and most of all internet connection coming from the late 90s. In addition to that TV services are too slow and you can wait 10 second for channel change.
Airport nearby situation is not a big problem when room window is closed. Insulation is good. Probably you can have troubles on 3rd floor, which is actually the last one.
Shuttle services are controversial, depends on the driver. Most of the drivers do their job perfectly, but some of them are unfriendly and unprofessional.
Reception. A staff having high self-esteem without coverage. Tried to cheat and forced me to pay a culture tax (tourist tax) even though I'm on a business trip.
A positive thing is the rich breakfast buffet, although waiter can hardly speak English.

Stay away from this hotel. Too high room price for low quality serviced.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2013

from 6.10 until 11.10 we were staying in the marriott courtyard hamburg.
as usual the hotel was without any problems on the contrary it was very good.
also the staff ,and i mean all of them,were just very helpful .
the price of the room is very reasonable.if you come without a car ,there are plenty of public transports to downtown hamburg and it is very close to hamburg airport but not noisy in the room as double double windows.in the night you can open them as there are no flighst from midnight until 6 am.
we would always recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: any floor is good,there are only3 floors including ground floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Although quite close to the airport, this facility looks as if it is in the woods and is quiet thanks to double windows. The staff were superb and accommodating. The room amenities and facilities were top notch. The fitness facility is a bit small, but it was empty and thus adequate. The bed was very comfortable and appeared new. there is morning coffee available as well as an extensive breakfast. A great place to stay when flying out of Hamburg.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I didn't get to my connection flight in time so Finnair payed my stay overnight at Marriott Courtyard. The shuttle bus picked me up from the airport with a really friendly guy driving it. There was no hassle whatsoever when I checked in, I guess they are used to people coming in a worn out, irritated and with no luggage. As I had nothing else with me than my handbag the receptionist quickly provided me with the essentials (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant). The hotel has a nice mansion feeling and I'm sure I had enjoyed my stay had I been there from my own choice. I had to catch the 6 o'clock plain in the morning so I just had a hamburger (well - I was in Hamburg) from the room service and tried to get some sleep. In the morning there was a new person at the reception and she tried to present me a bill for the room. I explained the situation and the bill went to Finnair as was agreed. The first shuttle to the airport left a 5 o'clock and I wasn't the only person taking it. I would have appreciated some kind of a simple breakfast which usually is provided for the early birds at airport hotels - but Marriott Courtyard sent us to the airport hungry - children and adults alike.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo