Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$300
$256
  • Pool
$118
$105
$85
  • Bar/Lounge
Best Western Amedia Hamburg(Hamburg)(Great Value!)
$126
$96
  • Restaurant
Ibis Budget Hamburg City(Hamburg)(Great Value!)
$83
$90
$87
$80
2,457 results
All reviewsbusiness tripneuer wallpiano barexcellent hotelcentrally located hotelquality hotelwalking distanceperfect locationfree wififitness roomrooms are largebusiness hotelchristmas marketsuperior roombreakfast was excellents bahnnice stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Arrived yesterday at 1445 after 48'hours of travel to be told by front desk staff that room was not yet available ( granted official check in time is quoted as 1500).

Upon hearing that I would be willing to go to another hotel a phone call, to what I assume was a manager made a room available pretty much immediately.

Although this sounds great ,upon arrival at the allocated room I was dismayed at the size of it as well as the fact that there was only a single sized bed in it( my booking specified that I had either a king or queen in my room).

One again I trodded to reception only to be met by a degree of arrogance saying that the single bed I had seen "was in fact a queen"......well after 35 years of business travel I would assume that reception staff would give me the benefit of knowing bed sizes....
Once again a manager was called and yet another room was immediately made available.....

As I walked off I heard the front desk staff unprofessionally lamenting about my grievances.....

The new room although clearly having been visited by a smoker before me was otherwise satisfactory.
( intesting that both these rooms were available when I was initially told no rooms were made up and that I'd have to wait.....).

Last issue is an aircon system which merely circulates air, hardly cooling it resulting in an ambient room temp of 24 25 degree C.

Once again management was extremely helpful in offering a change in room but as I was told that those rooms are cooled no better I declined......

In summary thus I agree with one of the previous writers stating that front of house staff can be unfriendly and unhelpful.

Thankfully managers on duty are able to sort most issues but it should not have to go that far as most opinions are formed by the initial reception staff intact .

Working in an industry which also looks after guests / passengers I would strongly suggest continued leadership training and reviews of front of house staff by management.
Also may I suggest that if rooms are being advertised as being airconditioned that the units supplied actually achieve reducing ambient temperatures to something that resembles something substantially cooler than the outside air temperatures.....( take examples from American and Australasian hotels.....)

Kudos to otherwise friendly and professional housekeeping and room service/ restaurant staff.........

Location of hotel convenient to most of the cities highlights.......

Stayed: July 2013
Bernd Z, Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Mattpaps,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following you recent stay at the Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg. In terms of the inconsistency of the availability of a room which is convenient to you I apologize. Your feedback is valuable for us and I thank you for making us aware of these matters. I have referred your feedback to our Front Office Director to follow-up and take action to ensure that this is not repeated in future.

I hope you will choose the Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg for your next visit again so we will have the opportunity to show you we can do better.

With kind regards,

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The great deal we got on this hotel and the good location compensated little bit the bad,cocky,moody,incompetent service of front desk. The hotel is dated and back then the adjustable beds probably was a great thing,now with a very thin mattress result in a warrantied back ache. Spacious rooms. Cater to business people. Needs to train their front desk personnel which made us feel very unwelcome. Will not return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Bernd Z, Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear FerdieGordon,

I am sorry to see that you were inconvenienced on your stay in terms of the rooms and the service of front desk. Pleased accept my deepest apologies for making you unwelcome. I can assure you this is not the norm as we strive to provide a high quality customer service and our Front Office Director has taken note of your concerns to take action to address the staff in this department and to take action to ensure this is not repeated in the future. We also really appreciate your feedback in terms of the rooms and beds as we are planning hotel renovations from 2014.

We do hope you will return in the future to give us the opportunity to show you that we can do better.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Spent a wonderful long weekend in this hotel.
Very friendly and helpful staff.

Great breakfast buffet with about 8 different types of juices, sparkling wine, individually made omelettes, smolked salmon, different cuts of cold meat and cheese, 5 different types of honey and a wide cereal selection.

From the hotel it is only about 150m to get to the underground station which is only 2 stops away from the Landungsbrücken.

The only little picky thing I could complain about is that I like a firm pillow, however this is a personal preference and the 2 pillows in the room were perfectly fine, yet not very firm.

All in all, the Steigenberger Hamburg is a great hotel I will be happy to return to the next time I go to Hamburg!

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear lovecentralamerica,

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your stay at Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg. It is really appreciated.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you loved the breakfast. When you make your next booking please let us know that you would prefer a firm pillow. So we can ensure that you will find a pillow in your room that is convenient to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg on a future visit and we will be happy to assist with your booking.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had found a very good offer for this hotel through a travel agency. I was looking forward to staying here because of the good references and the location. However, all my excitement started to fade away the moment I crossed the main doors.

The lady in reception was incompetent and extraordinary rude. After waiting for a long time while she was doing something else across the counter, without even looking at us or saying "I'll be with you in a minute", I said "good evening" and she looked at me as if I had said something terrible. She made me feel insulted from minute one.

After the disgusting experience, the bellboy showed us to our room. We had a superior double and had expressly stated we needed a twin room, with two beds. The room, of course, only had one bed. I told the bellboy and he called reception from our own room; he then put me on the line and again, instead of saying she was sorry, the lady in reception seemed to be very upset. She told me I would have to go back to the reception if I wanted another room, which I did.

Back in the lobby she said she had no more superior twin rooms, and all she could offer was a standard twin if I was happy to accept a downgrade. I said I was. Apparently she was bluffing and didn't expect me to say this, because she had no standard twins available. She started checking on her computer and talking with other people in the reception area in a very rude way, clearly indicating how upset she was. She said it was very late and the hotel was full (not an excuse and not my problem, honestly).

I was travelling with my father; it was around 11pm already and we were tired after a long drive. After waiting for several minutes watching this panting and puffing spectacle, my father suggested: as the double bed was actually two 90-cm-wide beds put together, and as there were no more twin rooms available, why didn't the lady ask room keeping to separate the beds while we ate something? I think this was a very sensible proposal, it solved the problem in our detriment (twin beds are wider than 90cm), but still the lady was rude and disrespectful and didn't seem to like the idea.

I was then very upset and used a more serious tone with her: "Excuse me Madam, this was clearly your mistake and we're trying to find a solution here. We want to go for dinner, so why don’t you ask someone to put the beds apart while we’re away”. This seemed to work. If only I had written down her name!!

We asked the concierge where to have dinner and all she could recommend was the restaurant in front of the hotel. I understand it was late and she was definitely nicer that the lady in reception, but in my opinion equally useless. So we went for a walk, had a drink and decided we’d order room service.

We got back to the hotel and the beds were apart but our luggage had not been taken upstairs: we had to call reception again. Then we wanted to order room service but they only had cold snacks! Hello? This is a big 5-star hotel and they couldn’t even make a warm ham sandwich for us. We ate a cheese/cucumber sandwich and went to our tiny beds feeling quite stupid.

The morning after there was another lady at check out, much nicer and more efficient but she also made us feel we were bothering her. Our car was brought to the door and we had sit inside for less than 5 minutes setting the GPS and getting ready for the trip, when the doorman came and asked us to leave the driveway! SERIOUSLY?

Conclusion: Rude and useless personnel. Terrible room service. Rooms are big although style is very questionable. Location is central (halfway between harbor and Rathaus) but there’s nothing around (dead and boring neighborhood). Will never come back. I am this upset even though I only paid a fraction of the price: imagine if I had paid full price! It's ridiculously expensive and nowhere near a 5 star.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear VaterZeit,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your detailed feedback which we really appreciate. First of all we would like to apologize for the trouble caused. We always try to provide good services with every intention of pleasing all our guests and I am disappointed in this case and that it put a damper for you and your father on this special occasion. Please accept my sincere apologies for the unacceptable way in which our staff interacted with you and for making you feel embarrassed. I have referred your experiences to our Front Office Director to follow-up and take action so that such incidents are not repeated in future. We also do regret that the choice of hot meals in our room service menu did not suit you and I am truly sorry for this.

Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies to you once again and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future so that we can make amends to restore your confidence in our services and facilities.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed there on July, 3-5. In the heart of downtown, close to Rathouse, Alstersee and major attractions. The hotel and services are "made in Germany" i.e. reliable, safe, without unpleasant moments. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. Breakfast is good, staff is pleasant. Not for those looking for smth sophisticated but for those who don't want surprises.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Bernd Z, Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear VitalyMinsk,

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your stay at the Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg. It is really appreciated. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the rooms comfortable and spacious. I am pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast and I have shared your kind comments with all the staff. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel on a future visit to Hamburg.

Kind regards,