“not so good neighbourhood”
Review of Alte Wache Hotel

and 1 more site!
Alte Wache Hotel
Ranked #149 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have spent just one night in this hotel as I was passing by Hamburg and my biggest complainment would be about location.Perhaps it is close to the main shopping area and main city square but it is also too close to main train station so walking near it was not so pleasant experience.Beside this,hotel is very basic,it offers you parking space,more then a basic room and a decent breakfast,so for one night it was ok after all,but it needs a lot of improvments...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I'm quite surprised this place is getting decent reviews. Really it is worse than my old university room and at €77 euros for a single bed, I think it is very overpriced.

I travel frequently for work and don't mind staying in budget places but I also know what I can get for my money and this was not good value.

I arrived today to check in. The road it is placed on did not feel safe to me and that is saying something because I am normally happy to stay anywhere. However, there were around 30 men just hanging around that street. Knowing that I wanted to walk around the city tonight, I would not have felt safe walking there alone, as a woman.

The reception area was fine, a little 70's style and when I booked in, I was handed the key immediately and told the breakfast time.

When I went to the room, my first reaction was complete disappointment. It really is worse than most basic university accommodation. My room had a single bed, looked out to the car park, was noisy but most of all, it was simply bad value for money. The TV looked 20 years old, as did everything else in the room.

Instead of stay there when I was not happy, I returned to reception and said that I did not like the accommodation and wanted to leave. The receptionist did actually offer me a different room but that was not the point, the point was that overall it was bad value. She called the manager immediately, looked annoyed and passed the phone to me, where the manager said I would not be getting a refund. I said that was ok but I would be leaving as I simply did not want to stay.

Having said all of this, if I had paid €40, I would be happy. €70 however is really pushing it.

Finally, I found a better value room just opposite the train station which is much nicer and only €10 more than that other place so I look forward to a nicer night elsewhere :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Irish0ne
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Excellent location and close to the main train station. Short easy walk from the main train stationa and close to the underground. Staff were kind and helpful. Price was reasonable - 70 Eur for the night. Room was clean and spacious - pillows were brilliant - reminded me of home.I will stay there again when travelling to Hamburg. The breakfast was very good - good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Firstly this is a basic 3 star hotel close to the station but a nice and clean one.

Location: 3-4 min easy walk from the train station. One gets out of the station or S-Bah exit from the airport (Block House Restaurant facing you is a simple ref) - on the right where the Museum and ZOB glass building is, 300 yards gets you to the hotel. Quite a few restaurants close by and the train/U/S Bahn proximity is super.

Rooms: smallish but that's Europe - clean lobby, clean corridor, clean rooms. Do take rooms on the higher floor - there is an S/U Bahn line below and one feels the rumbles

Staff: Friendly. My flight came in after 10pm on a day when the Hamburg Marathon had all rooms sold out. This hotel simply mentioned that they have my late arrival nodes and there is no need to give them a credit card that I wanted to give them to be super certain. In typical German organization, they kept the room and no hassles - nice

Breakfast: I usually find hotel breakfasts not worth the price. Here at 8 Euros, it was worth it. A nicely laid out room right next to the lobby serves a good breakfast.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank n s
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Last weekend my wife and I visited Alte Wache.It was the second time.

The hotel is a very good 3 star hotel with a cosy lounge including a bar.

The staff at the reception was helpful and nice.

The nearness to the central parts of Hamburg is very positive

The only remarks I will mention is that the computer`s connection with Internet was miserable - I was constantly interrupted

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carl Johan v
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Rooms are very comfortable and clean. Staff is very nice and always ready to give a help or an info. Free internet at the bar and free wi-fi (through a free registration) in your room. Very "strategic" because buses, trains and u-bahn are just at a couple of minutes of walk. NeXT time, I'll sleep there again!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank curiouspukeko
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I was in Hamburg for two days and needed a hotel close to the Central Railway Station. This part of the city is not the best and looks dirty and a bit dangerous. "Alte Wache" is a happy exception: less than 10 minutes walk to the station the hotel is situated in the street which is much more decent (no sex shops!). You can walk to the Rathaus and the center of the city in 15 minutes.
The room itself is nothing special, though clean and calm. The bathroom is recently renovated and very good.
The stuff was ready to ask all my questions. I would definitely choose this hotel for my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo