“well worth the money”
Review of Baseler Hof

Baseler Hof
Ranked #45 of 322 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed December 2, 2010

i stayed at this hotel for two nights. I agree with what others say about small rooms but overall I think this is an excellent hotel for value for money. It has character which a lot of the big chains are lacking. You can tell it is family run. And all the staff were great. I thought the service throughout was excellent starting with the very friendly welcome from the guy on reception through to the staff in the restaurant. The food was excellent in both the breakfast bar and the Klein Huis restaurant which had a nice cosy atmosphere with a log fire. The location is excellent too. My only niggle was not getting a range of toiletries in the bathroom-there were just a couple of bottles of hair/body wash so remember to take your own.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed October 10, 2010

Stayed 4 nights and was very satisfied with price and service. I have traveled extensively in Germany and this hotel compares favorably with all in its class. Great breakfast with German, English and Scandinavian selections.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Stayed 3 nights in this hotel, which is very centrally located (we arrived by train). The price and the number of stars (4) led me to believe it was a high class hotel, so I was slightly disappointed by the rooms, rather small with a miniature bathroom, an uncomfortable bed and no view whatsoever. Maybe I am spoiled but as a seasoned traveler I missed a number of 'standard' conveniences which I expect in a 4- star-hotel: for example: complementary water in the room (there was a note indicating that the Hamburg city water is excellent, fine with me, and I agree that it's better for the environment to drink tap water, but the tap was so tiny you could not even fill a bottle), there was no basic information about the hotel (breakfast times etc), no coffee maker, no shower cap or other amenities and most importantly,no free wireless (at least in the lobby),. I know; it's tiny things, maybe petty, but they make my stay! I did enjoy the breakfast, the coffee-themed decorations (but who puts the exact same picture twice in one room?) and the transportation day-passes. All in all we had a pleasant stay, and with some small improvements this hotel could be really the high class place it claims to be.

One thing I found very cute: in the shape of a shoe there was a note proposing two scenic jogging routes, one of 7.8 km and one of 3.5 km. What a nice idea! Another tip I can share: when with young children, try out the incredibly nice, large,clean and FREE play ground located at the botanical gardens! Got to give it to the Germans.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank DutchinMadagascar
Reviewed May 15, 2010

I came to Hamburg for a two day business trip. This little hotel is beautiful! Very charming and clean. The staff is very very friendly and all spoke excellent English. My room (629)was a bit of a closet, but this was expected. (I had a standard single room) Though small, it was a cute room and extremely clean. The bathroom was spotless. I loved the bathroom actually. They include a nice little rolling cart that you can put all of your stuff in next to the sink. The bed was not the most comfortable- I found that it was better putting my head on the "foot" end of the bed. They definitely need a new bed in this room! This room is right next to the elevator, but they effectively put an air purifier in the room which makes a nice "white noise" and completely blocks out the noise from the elevator.

For an extra 2 euro charge, you could have breakfast (which was included) delivered to your room. On the first morning, they called to let me know that breakfast was going to be late (they said 5 minutes, but it was more like 20) They did not charge me the 2 euro fee and the woman who delivered the food was very apologetic. It did make me late for my morning appointment because I didn't want to hop in the shower until the food was delivered, so then I had to rush once it arrived. None the less, the breakfast was good and nicely cooked.

The front desk staff was EXTREMELY helpful and nice. I also ate at the restaurant- Klein Huis, which is located on the ground level behind the lobby. EXCELLENT food and EXCELLENT service at an EXCELLENT price! You can also order from Klein Huis into your room. I did that the first night and had a delightful salad.

The area around Baseler Hof is nice- some little shops and nice places to grab a sandwich, pastry or drink. The opera is also just around the corner.

I wanted to also mention the lobby of the hotel. There are many nice sofas and chairs in which to sit, as well as a bar. They keep a bowl of apples out, so it was nice to grab one just before I left for the airport. (stuffed it in my bag for the trip) There is also a computer in the lobby with a printer! (GREAT for printing boarding passes!)

I would definitely stay at the Baseler Hof again, despite the not so comfortable bed and expensive internet. (8 euros per hour, 30 euros for 30 days are your only options!)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2009

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel. hotel itself is a small one but staff are helpful and nice. location is perfect with 5 minutes walking distance from railway station & 10 minute walk to shopping center. breakfast is OK .rooms are clean though small. you won't regret it . that was a good experience for me anyway .

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank mehrdadnb
Reviewed June 4, 2008

The Baseler Hof is a great choice particularly if you are staying in Hamburg as a turist. The location couldn't be better: very close to the Binnnalster (the smallest of the two lakes in the center of the city). The underground is round the corner and the walk to the Town hall and the start of the historical centre takes 15 min very nice around the lake. Just at the door, there is even a stop of the hop-off double-decked touristic buses.

The hotel facilities are good, correct. Our room was huge though other friends stayed in more standard ones. Breakfast is varied and complete. And the lobby & bar very cousy.

Staff is very helpful and knowledgeable.

I would recommend it and definitely would stay there in my next visit to that interesting town.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Lola C
Reviewed June 2, 2008

The Baseler Hof was chosen for me by a German friend I was visiting on my first trip to Hamburg and I'll certainly not look elsewhere when I return to the city. The location could not be more central - within easy walking distance of the habour area and a few hundred metres from the lovely botanical gardens. As soon as you walk into the reception area you can sense the relaxed atmosphere given off by the amazingly friendly and helpful reception staff (one of whom even brought me a pot of her father's delicious honey when I asked where I could obtain some!). The hotel has been owned by the same family for three generations and is obviously more than a business and the staff more than employees. There is a large lounge/bar area next to the reception where you can help yourself to tea and coffee. My (single) room was clean and comfortable and very good value. The staff had - as requested - put a fan there for me as the city was in the midst of an uncharacteristic heatwave. Breakfast (included) was excellent and even included a selection of leaf teas (something I've never encountered before on the Continent - perhaps the influence of the English wife of the original owner - the present one's grandmother). The hotel restaurant, where we had dinner one evening, is excellent with a fine selection of wines (there is a special wine bar as well).

Stayed: June 2008