“Great little gem. Friendly staff, excellent food! Clean and convenient location. My only complaint was the bed!”
Review of Baseler Hof

Baseler Hof
Ranked #55 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
New York, NY
Reviewed May 15, 2010

I came to Hamburg for a two day business trip. This little hotel is beautiful! Very charming and clean. The staff is very very friendly and all spoke excellent English. My room (629)was a bit of a closet, but this was expected. (I had a standard single room) Though small, it was a cute room and extremely clean. The bathroom was spotless. I loved the bathroom actually. They include a nice little rolling cart that you can put all of your stuff in next to the sink. The bed was not the most comfortable- I found that it was better putting my head on the "foot" end of the bed. They definitely need a new bed in this room! This room is right next to the elevator, but they effectively put an air purifier in the room which makes a nice "white noise" and completely blocks out the noise from the elevator.

For an extra 2 euro charge, you could have breakfast (which was included) delivered to your room. On the first morning, they called to let me know that breakfast was going to be late (they said 5 minutes, but it was more like 20) They did not charge me the 2 euro fee and the woman who delivered the food was very apologetic. It did make me late for my morning appointment because I didn't want to hop in the shower until the food was delivered, so then I had to rush once it arrived. None the less, the breakfast was good and nicely cooked.

The front desk staff was EXTREMELY helpful and nice. I also ate at the restaurant- Klein Huis, which is located on the ground level behind the lobby. EXCELLENT food and EXCELLENT service at an EXCELLENT price! You can also order from Klein Huis into your room. I did that the first night and had a delightful salad.

The area around Baseler Hof is nice- some little shops and nice places to grab a sandwich, pastry or drink. The opera is also just around the corner.

I wanted to also mention the lobby of the hotel. There are many nice sofas and chairs in which to sit, as well as a bar. They keep a bowl of apples out, so it was nice to grab one just before I left for the airport. (stuffed it in my bag for the trip) There is also a computer in the lobby with a printer! (GREAT for printing boarding passes!)

I would definitely stay at the Baseler Hof again, despite the not so comfortable bed and expensive internet. (8 euros per hour, 30 euros for 30 days are your only options!)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
IRAN
Reviewed November 6, 2009

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel. hotel itself is a small one but staff are helpful and nice. location is perfect with 5 minutes walking distance from railway station & 10 minute walk to shopping center. breakfast is OK .rooms are clean though small. you won't regret it . that was a good experience for me anyway .

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank mehrdadnb
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed June 4, 2008

The Baseler Hof is a great choice particularly if you are staying in Hamburg as a turist. The location couldn't be better: very close to the Binnnalster (the smallest of the two lakes in the center of the city). The underground is round the corner and the walk to the Town hall and the start of the historical centre takes 15 min very nice around the lake. Just at the door, there is even a stop of the hop-off double-decked touristic buses.

The hotel facilities are good, correct. Our room was huge though other friends stayed in more standard ones. Breakfast is varied and complete. And the lobby & bar very cousy.

Staff is very helpful and knowledgeable.

I would recommend it and definitely would stay there in my next visit to that interesting town.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Lola C
Gloucester
Reviewed June 2, 2008

The Baseler Hof was chosen for me by a German friend I was visiting on my first trip to Hamburg and I'll certainly not look elsewhere when I return to the city. The location could not be more central - within easy walking distance of the habour area and a few hundred metres from the lovely botanical gardens. As soon as you walk into the reception area you can sense the relaxed atmosphere given off by the amazingly friendly and helpful reception staff (one of whom even brought me a pot of her father's delicious honey when I asked where I could obtain some!). The hotel has been owned by the same family for three generations and is obviously more than a business and the staff more than employees. There is a large lounge/bar area next to the reception where you can help yourself to tea and coffee. My (single) room was clean and comfortable and very good value. The staff had - as requested - put a fan there for me as the city was in the midst of an uncharacteristic heatwave. Breakfast (included) was excellent and even included a selection of leaf teas (something I've never encountered before on the Continent - perhaps the influence of the English wife of the original owner - the present one's grandmother). The hotel restaurant, where we had dinner one evening, is excellent with a fine selection of wines (there is a special wine bar as well).

Stayed June 2008
Sydney
Reviewed December 6, 2007

This is a truly delightful hotel. Staff are very friendly, can give lots of helpful information. It is well managed, clean, comfortable, and has the best breakfast in Hamburg. You can dine in for all meals if you want, have snacks, or get hot / cold/ alcoholic / non-alcoholic drinks in the bar near the front reception area. There is free internet access in the lobby. Only slight drawback is if you get a room at the back of the hotel - your room may be flooded with light from the office block opposite at 4.00 am when cleaners go to work. Ask for a room not at the back of the hotel. The location is ideal, close to the UBahn, walking distance from city centre, art museums, the lake etc. What more can I say? A home away from home!

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Light at 4.00am from office block opposite
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Tykeontheroad
Netherlands
Reviewed March 16, 2005

We stayed at the Baseler Hof in Hamburg for a weekend in mid-March 2005 and I must confess I expected more from the hotel. We booked it as usual via HRS, and its price was right for the location (inlc. breakfast) but the hotel room was so basic that I would have preferred to pay something more and go to Radisson or even Vier Jahreszeiten just around the corner. The hotel is centrally located just a stone's throw from the Arcades of Hamburg and the main shopping street but it overviews a very busy avenue (my husband was unable to sleep one night because of the music from a car parked just in front of the hotel) and the view is nothing. We got a room on the second floor and my first impression was that I was getting in a hospital room: white and cold and small. The corridors were also unpleasant, not decorated and noone made an effort to offer some warmth in the environment. The restaurant is advertised as very cosy and good wine restaurant, but this is no true at all. It is a very common and tasteless decorated space with a strange smell. The breakfast was also basic and the same every morning. The bread, although you would expect it fresh in Germany, it was as if it was the same loaf every morning. The fish, salmon and herring smelled bad and did not dare to try it. Only good element of breakfast was their home-made Müsli. The staff was cold and unfriendly. We paid 125 euros for the room and breakfast and I cannot say it worthed the money, although Hamburg has the reputation of being expensive. Try to find a better hotel when you are there...

12 Thank HotelfanNetherlands