“a nice traditional hotel”

Hotel Atlantic Kempinski Hamburg
Ranked #16 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Budapest, Hungary
“a nice traditional hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

I spent there 2 nights and liked the traditional style and the good quality of the interieur and the spaces in the whole house, not just in common aeras, but in the room as well.
Only one thing disturbed me a little, the smell of old smoke in the lobby, probably from times when was allowed to smoke. They should do something with this..But anyway, the house and the stuff is great...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ivanbacsi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

With its grand facade, pretty lakeside location and five-star price, I expected more from the Atlantic. We were somewhat breathlessly greeted by the young desk clerk, who, on spying our backpacks and realising we had no other luggage, enquired if we'd come by EasyJet. With a flourish, he retrieved our booking and declared that we were to be installed in one of their classic rooms, a euphemism for "bottom of the range". Nonetheless, he was very helpful in pointing out various locations on the map, including all the designer shops (in which we had no interest) and a running route around the lake (which was to be our first activity). We did, at one point, fervently wish he would just stop speaking.

Our room, number 527, was at the end of a series of alleyways on the first floor, tucked away in a corner and overlooking the block of upmarket but empty flats next door, with very noisy road works below. The pillows were lumpy, the bed concave and the wi-fi didn't stretch this far, at least not for either of my two devices. The carpet was stained by a leak in the radiator and the room had a very tired, beige look about it. The cupboard was a wall rack with no door and definitely had room for only one person's belongings.

Disappointingly, the hairdryer only worked intermittently, needing a few minutes to cool down between bursts of activity, which made getting ready for dinner a very lengthy affair. Also, the shower did not drain very well, which meant the second person in the shower had to stand in an an inch or two of tepid water.

While very well-located in relation to the train station and the city centre, with some good outdoor eating and sundowner options at the lake side across the road and around the corner, the Atlantic fell far short of the expectations conjured up by its majestic reception area and pillared external facade. Given that we had not come to Hamburg to spend all day in our hotel room, its faults were tolerable. Nonetheless, for the price we paid we should at least have been able to get a working hairdryer and a draining shower. I'm certain your can get better value for money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid 527 or keep the windows shut, otherwise it is very very noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mandy R
Ichikawa, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

I stayed 3 nights. It is located near Alster lake of Hamburg and also close to the center of the city. I love room services in the morning because breads and coffee are great. I recommend you should stay for the business.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ihitihit
Kings Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

I would come back to Germany just for this hotel. I would come back to Hamburg for it. I absolutely fell in love with this hotel. I would only want to stay here. Its perfect.
I loved the location. It was right by the water(across the street) and it was perfect for reading. They had everything. It was a few minutes from Hamburg HBF the city center with ICE trains, the Bahn, and buses. It had a mall in it as well. It was perfect. There were amazing restaurants surrounding the entire area. I couldn't have been happier. There is so much to say about how much I love this place. Walking down the hallways and seeing everything they had on display made me feel like I was walking down a mini museum and I have to say that is my favorite. It made me feel at home and wanting to explore the hotel. It was just so perfect and Im really upset I had to leave. The staff are so nice and polite and generous they were. They are so lucky. I wouldn't mind working or living there. Its filled with history and comfort. I don't know what else I could say that wouldn't be repetitive and redundant. Just stay here. Plan your get away around this hotel. You won't regret it all, it is worth every penny and then some.

Room Tip: Every room is perfect
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank BeccaKP
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

A Traditional, friendly, Top Class hotel in a great location.
We really liked this hotel, the room was very spacious, we had a two bedroom junior suite facing the courtyard. VERY QUIET which is great for me. large comfortable bed, excellent shower, The staff were excellent, all multi lingual, professional and cool!
Great bar and inner courtyard, although I like to try different hotels, this will take some beating and I cannot wait to go back!
Danke!!!

Room Tip: Inner room facing the courtyard is really quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Stefanovic
Mons, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

This hotel is first class all around. The staff was so accommodating and it felt as though they were anticipating our needs. Small but well appointed room with a great shower and separate spa tub. Our son loved the turn down service for his stuffed animals. Great location close to everything

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Zosia B
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

The hotel is in a great location overlooking the Alster river which gives you beautiful views from the rooms. The staff was wonderful and accommodating and it's located within walking distance from downtown Hamburg. Hope to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Overlooking the Alster
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family