“Great location, fine hotel”

Renaissance Hamburg Hotel
Ranked #34 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
Sydney, Australia
“Great location, fine hotel”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

A perfectly nice hotel with a pleasant downstairs cafe/bar and good facilities. Perhaps the best thing about it is the location - very central, just a few minutes walk to the Rathaus, the Alster and a couple of handy train stations.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed July 8, 2014

The hotel is at excellent location on a doorstep to everywhere; shops, coffee shops, restaurants, lake, underground.
Rooms are nice and clean, bed linen clean, towels changed everyday, comfortable bed, nicely decorated room, helpful staff.

Only thing, which I was not happy about was such a basic thing like internet and wifi, hotel charges 12.50 Euro a day in today's technology world !!! This is disgrace!!

Overall, nice stay.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Hamburg was simply stunning, another complete suprise. We felt swanky in the hotel Rennaisance who put us in the Junior Deluxe suite with complimentary parking, wifi and huge fruit platter. Thank you to Inger for your letter wishing us well on our journey, we really appreciated the luxury that the hotel provided! We were straight out on the balcony and my PA 'starfished' across her own kingside bed, everyone was happy! The room was huge giving me plenty of space for the hoist, the photo doesn't do it any justice and I couldn't fit in the dressing area and hallway into the photo! As the suite wasn't an accessible one I don't think it's necessary for me to comment on the bathroom but just know that there wasn't a wet room. It was a perfect location, surrounded by little coffee shops, an amazing organic food hall and ample restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Mannheim
Reviewed July 6, 2014

To start with the good stuff, the location is really nice, close to the Alster. Also I really do like the bar area with enough working space, great food and good service.
Check in did take quite some time, so did check out... no sure why, but had that at another Renaissance I was staying before as well. Maybe specific to this chain.
The room as such I did not like, apart from the bed that was really big and comfy.
I seems to be asking for refurbishment. Also the bathroom seemed to be quite old and was tiny. I had to take out the sink to avoid the bath tub filling with water.
They charge over 12 Euros for 24h wireless access, at other hotels in Hamburg like the Radisson it is included with a lower room price.
Did not try breakfast but colleagues said it must be really nice.

Room Tip: Try the wrap in the bar it is really nice!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
MarriottHotelHH, Director of Operations at Renaissance Hamburg Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the Renaissance Hamburg Hotel.
You indicated in your response that the room and internet were unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. Let me be the bearer of good news, late this year Renaissance Hamburg Hotel will under go a big renovation that has been delayed for a few years because the building is historically protected it was the first printing press in Hamburg now after a long wait it will push thorugh. With regards to the internet we do have a business desk for free if you do want to check your emails and print boarding passes but if you want access in your room it cost 12.50€ for 24 hours.

We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.

N. Eggers
Director of Operations
HK
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here two nights for business, very old decor but with easy access to the shopping district and the in the heart of the city center. Room size is spacious but the carpet colors are in the 70's or 80's, the bed is comfortable. The shower button was unscrewed when checked in and I have to fixed it myself.
Good selection for breakfast especially loved their roof top honey!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed June 21, 2014

With Renaissance being one of the Marriott brands, this hotel looks like a very dated Marriott with carpets in the old jewel tones of the 80's. Also, the carpeting in the corridors is overdue for replacement. Get past the dated décor, and the hotel is great. Sleeping rooms are small, but amenities are great. The hotel is in an excellent location near cafes, restaurants, coffee shops, shopping and many beautiful sights in Hamburg. The staff is very friendly and different languages are spoken fluently. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I have just stayed here for three nights and can quite honestly say it was one of the worst stays I have ever had in a hotel. Despite being part of a group of very regular visitors here, I requested a non-smoking room, but on the first night was given a smoking room on the first floor. I don't care how many air freshening chemicals they use, this was a smoking room. The plug in the sink wouldn't close, while the plug in the bath wouldn't open. The TV refused to work in the middle of a World Cup when the guest in the neighbouring room retruned for the evening and switched their lights on (weird). I asked to be moved the following evening to a non smoking room on a higher floor, and was, to the second floor overlooking as it turned out Grosse Bleichen. The flourescent tube in the bathroom was permanently on the blink. The showers in the rooms in this hotel are in the baths: they resemble something you'd buy for 99 cents in a Chinese bazaar, spinning endlessly and utterly useless. On my prior stay here, the shower head was broken. ON the first night I had a very minor nose bleed; the sheets were not changed. I had a very bad night's sleep on the second night, but only last night did I work out why: the street outside is an extremely noisy thoroughfare, To make matters worse, the room overlooks the building works and bins outside Escada and Muji. Whoever had been in the room during the day had left the window wide open (I had returned from work exhausted). Throughout the night I was subjected to the constant clatter of scaffolding and heavy wheelie bins. Time to find another hotel here.

Room Tip: Avoid all but the highest floors.
2 Thank simonske35
MarriottHotelHH, Director of Operations at Renaissance Hamburg Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Mr. Simons,

Thank you for taking the time your valuable time to share your experience with the Renaissance Hamburg Hotel.

You indicated in your response that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced.

N. Eggers