“Out of this world - I felt like royalty”

Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
Ranked #3 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 17, 2009

This is most definately the best hotel Ive ever stayed in.
As soon as we arrived the concierge took our cases for us- no need to tip, its all part of the service! We arrived at midday, so our room wasn't ready (we werent expecting it to be). Staff on reception were very apologetic and offered to call my mobile when it was but we said we waould have a look round the city for a couple of hours.
Location of this hotel is excellent. Close to shops and cafes and also the metro station Junfernsteig- lines U3 & S1. Only takes 5-10mins to walk to them. There is also the shoping mall- Europa Passage about 10mins away and the central station is about 15min walk over the bridge. The front of the hotel overlooks the lake- you wont miss it, beautiful white building with a green tiled roof.
We stayed in room 317, we were shown to our room by reception staff. 2 huge beds each, ample cupboard space, large LCD TV on the wall, coffee maker. The bathroom was massive, we had a bath with showerhead, 2 sinks, a seperate shower which had a large showerhead, slippers, bathrobes, scales and toilet. If that wasnt enough we also had a balcony overlooking the courtyard! We looked on the fire plan and this was the only one that had a balcony- dont ask me why we got it, maybe they were just feeling generous. About 10 mins after we got into our room a waitor came and brought us a fresh bowl of fruit! He offered to cut it for us as well- totally unexpected!
The first night we went to the theatre. We werent sure how to get there but reception showed us where it was and gave us a map of the city.
We got back quite late, around 11pm. Maids had been a done a turn down service, they had taken the cushions off the beds and left slippers out on the floor next to the beds! they had also closed the curtains for us. We ordered room service as we had not had dinner. this was quite pricey but the food was so nice. 16euros for a cheeseburger and chips! 6euros for a coca cola. This only took about 15mins to come to our room and the waiter served it for us on a table which had flowers on it. Once you have finished you can just ring room service and they will come and take the table from you.
Beds were so comfy, I could have slept for days! Breakfast ran from 7.15-11.30 (sundays). We were seated by friendly staff in the resturant. They brought us a jug of fresh orange juice and offered tea & coffee. There was quite a good selection, but no hot food. Cereal, crossaints, pastries, fruit, yogurt, smoked salmon.
We checked out at 12pm, but we didnt need to leave the city until about 3pm, the hotel looks after your bags for you.
I would definatly recommend this hotel to a friend, I know its pricey but you get what you pay for. The service is unbelieveable. they treat you like an individual and nothing is too much trouble. I didnt want to leave!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jujubee88x

Reviewed January 20, 2009

I have stayed in some of the very best hotels in the Americas, Europe and Asia traveling for over 27 years. I would love to know what Christian Moss (previous review) thinks is a great hotel. The Vier Jahreszeiten is undoubtedly the best. No, it's not perfect but, the "decor" is part of the charm. It's like going back to an era that will never be again. Of course the furniture is old. They have their own carpentry and upholstery shops to keep it as it is. That's the idea, not a problem.

If you want a magnificent experience, here it is. The facilities, people, food, location, everything is magnificent. My favorite hotel in the world, and something for every hotel to aspire to.

Stayed: November 2008
4  Thank usafo8
Reviewed October 10, 2008

My six year old daughter and I stayed in the Vier Jahreszeiten for a weekend in October - and we loved it! It is a classical Grand Hotel in the European tradition. It manages to combine the best of both worlds: history with its 19th century architecture, traditional furniture, old paintings and modernity with its up-to-date equipment (flat screen TV, DVD player, air conditioning, internet access, spa, fitness center).
The location is wonderful: You have a view of the Alster (alongside which you may take some nice walks) and you are just minutes away from the city centre, the city hall and a nice park. All of the hotel rooms are well furnished and quite large but, of course, the rooms which are situated towards the Alster are much nicer than the backyard rooms; it is absolutely worthwhile to book an (more expensive) Alster view room.
Service was just perfect: very friendly and professional. I did not quite expect this in a hotel with some 150 rooms (in general, I try to stay in hotels with less than 100 rooms because service is much better than in the bigger hotels; but, it seems, there are exceptions).
We tried two of their three restaurants: the Jahreszeiten Grill and the Haerlin. The former is less formal with a more traditional menu, the latter is an oustanding gourmet restaurant. Each of them, in its own way, was very good - with the quality of the food on a par with that of the service. But, of course, the Haerlin was an extraordinary experience. If you stay at this hotel, you must not miss the opportunity to have dinner there.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Soellner
Reviewed October 10, 2008

This is my first review for TripAdvisor (despite being a huge fan of the website) and the single one most compelling reasons for writing this now is to share with other readers what a perfect, luxury hotel the VF is in Hamburg.

We stayed for three nights at the end of August in a junior suite on the fourth floor. The room was huge, had a good sized walk in closet, and a huge bathroom (which would have been a single bedroom in other hotels). The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, with its four over-sized pure down pillows. The decor is old-styled luxury (antique tapestry on the walls in the hall etc) but the amenities are very much of this age (42" plasma screen in our room).

What sets the VF apart is the service. Employees at the hotel are discreet, yet polite and extremely professional. Nothing was too difficult for them to arrange, from booking a hairdresser to offering to pick up any dvd we wanted from a shop if they didn't have it. This is the type of hotel where the employees take great pride in their work, and the level of quality throughout shows.

I simply loved everything about this place and we're going back again at the end of the month.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tripsaround
Reviewed September 8, 2008

This is a great hotel in every detail. Yes it is expensive, but it is worth it. We stayed for one night in a luxury room with lake view (211)for 360 Euro including breakfast for 2. See the uploaded pictures and video which explains better than words, what I mean.
Very big room, walk-in closet, 2 (!) safes and all you can expect in a 5* hotel including a large flatscreen with about 120 different tv-channels in any language. Free wireless internet if you bring your computer as well.
The roomservice was excellent and the breakfast was not a huge buffet, but it had all you needed. The orangejuice was definetely fresh and the only thing we did'nt see was bacon, but maybe we just should have asked for it.
The hotel is perfectly situated and we we glad that we changed our booking from Kempinski to Vier Jahreszeiten after seeing the bad reviews Kempinski had on tripadvisor.
Next time we are in Hamburg we stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pean
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Fairmont (when I stayed in belonged to Raffles group) Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten is probably the best hotel that I've ever stayed - at least in terms of service and value for money. Few examples:

(1) it has a really lovely old elevator which did not have an automatic door. It did not need to because every time you entered/exit the elevator a bellboy opened it for you.

(2) when you exit the hotel and if there were any chance of rain, the doorman gave you an umbrella. And not just gave but first opened it, checked that is was in order and then handled it to you.

(3) they call you by your family name (I don't understand how they remember every guest's name)

(4) in the first morning I asked from the front desk where the breakfast was served. Instead of just pointing out the place, I was escorted to a lovely breakfast room.

(5) I had dinner at the restaurant Haerlin (one Michelin star). After a menu I was so full that I couldn't eat petit fours - instead a had a nightcap in the hotel bar. When I returned to my room, petit fours were waiting for me in the table with a greeting note from the restaurant manager.

(6) One evening I returned from the city and while picked up my room's key just asked that there must have been an football match in the evening as you could easily notice that in the city. Intead of just saying yes, a front desk officer quickly looked the results of the match from the internet and informed it to me.

And did I mention that I got upgraded when I checked in.

Hopefully they have sustained the same level of service as they now belong to Fairmont group.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank Heavytraveller73
Reviewed March 10, 2008

Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten in Hamburg has gone from being a Raffles to a Fairmont. Not that it matters much, I guess, as the property is in desperate need for refurbishment.

> Check-in
Check-in was smooth and efficient - like you would expect from Germans. The lobby itself is dark and feels a bit unloved. Big plus for the two lifts which are of the old-fashioned kind. Not very big - but with a chair inside. If staying on the first floor, it is as easy to take the stairs. Poor lighting and (what seemed like) a dusty carpet in the hallways.

> Room
Stayed in a Double Room facing the courtyard on the first floor. Positives:
- comfortable bedlinen
- free in-room internet (wireless and cable)
- large bathroom with powerful shower
- high ceilings
- separate room for wardrobe and baggage

Negatives:
- dusty, old smell in the room
- old furniture
- sewage smell in the bathroom

NB Do try the Wienerschnitzel off the room service menu!

There are so many new, great hotels in Hamburg; and having stayed at several of those, it was a big mistake to book the Vier Jahreszeiten. It's poor value for money.

The hotel is unloved and needs a major overhaul. Look to George V in Paris.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business