“4 star hotel with 5 star staff”

Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
Ranked #5 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Summary: The hotel is said to be the best in Hamburg. I am not sure if this is really the case. Basically the hotel/rooms itself are average (as you would get in an Hilton or Hyatt), but the staff is excellent.

Hotel: The hotel itself is nicely located. It is directly at the Binnenalster, close to the shopping options and also in walking distance to the congress center. Appearance is nice and warm, but sport options (e.g. pool) are limited (as in "there is no pool").

Rooms: I have traveled as a single person in December 2013 and stayed on the 4th floor in room #406. From the floor plan it is the smallest room of the lake view rooms and close to the stairways/lift, but it was fine and quiet (due to the second entry door that shields the first one). The window offers a nice view on the lake, but given it is a regular window and not too wide, you don't have much of the lake view as you really have to stand at the window to have a good view. Bed was fine, bath as well. Some of the details in the room have small issues (see below). Overall I would say there is nothing really wrong with the room, but it also not better than say a regular Hilton, Hyatt or the Radisson at the congress center (the last of which I stayed in last year). So I guess I was a bit disappointed for not having a wow effect.

Staff: The staff is clearly the biggest point for the hotel. They are all very nice and professional. Actually I was quiet impressed by how well they for instance remember names, hand over information to the next shift etc. Even the cleaning staff was nice and helping, which stays when compared with other hotels.

Issues:
1.) The keys for the room sometimes cause problems. They are a hybrid of regular key and added electronics inside. Sometimes you have to try multiple times till you can really turn the key. Also the size of the key is huge, so it becomes practical to leave it at the reception (an option which I personally dislike).
2.) The room safe is too small for I guess most laptops. I had two 14 inch laptops with me and both didn't fit by about a half inch. So I had to place them in the central hotel safe which involves asking people at the reception. They are always helping and well prepared, but it is still less convenient than the room safe. Also this is the first hotel I can remember in a long time where the room safe is too small.
3.) The free Internet (both, wired and wireless) works well, but the cable for the wired Internet was damaged. The little plastic nose that keeps the wire in our laptops port was broken, so the cable tended to go out on multiple occasions. Not a big deal (especially I had some tape band with me), but something I wouldn't expect from a 5 star hotel.

So overall I think this is a good option for staying in Hamburg. You can't do wrong with it.

But given it is a 5 star hotel, the best in town and also a member of "the leading hotels in the world", I was a bit disappointed. I simply expected a wow factor, something above the base line of other good hotels. I didn't find that.

Room Tip: Take a lake view room, but be aware that the windows are no huge glass front. Also try to get to the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank ReviewInProgress

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I do frequently travel to Hamburg - mainly for shopping and Vier Jahreszeiten is my absolute favourite. The location is excellent if you go shopping as the main area is just 2 minutes away. But the hotel is certainly also an attraction of its own. It's a historical hotel with a high quality in everything. The rooms are very, very nice and everything is kept in the highest quality. The rooms are cleaned to perfection with all the amendments you would expect.
You now have free Wifi with a very decent bandwidth.

My only problem is that you have almost 100 channels on the TV, but not a single Scandinavian TV channel. Hamburg is just over an hour from the Danish border and there are many danish visitors, but why do the hotel not have a single danish TV channel when they have Sudanese, Japanese, Kuwait and several UAE channels. I hope they will see to this.

Room Tip: There is only two quite slow elevators so it might be nice to get a room on first floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This by far was one of the nicest hotels we have stayed. The service was unbelievable. This took hospitality to another level. This was what I would think the Fairmont "four seasons" would be like. You are waited on like a king/queen. Old school etiquette, Michelin rated restaurants, impeccable service. This is what a hotel should be. They exceeded any hotel stay I have had in Europe or the states. You don't have to lift a finger - they really wait on your like I have never seen before. Very accommodating and helpful. We were unfortunately in Hamburg in a very off season. It was bitter cold. I felt like I was completely underdressed the entire time we were there. I normally bring extra dresses and high heels- but brought warm boots and heavy sweaters. No one treated me like I didn't belong. I just felt very underdressed. I would definitely stay here again. But bring more appropriate clothing. And the price for the service and room were actually not that bad. Definitely worth it and definitely should be on the top of the list for Hamburg. Sehr schön!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BigH73
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Okay, my wife and I knew what to expect: this is a plush, somewhat bourgeois and stuffy Hamburg landmark. It's not the kind of place we usually pick when we're traveling, however, the more stylish places were all booked out (unless you were willing to shell out €800 for a suite). So we stayed at this grande dame.

Boy, were we in for a surprised: Our room (a regular double) was huge, with double doors to shut out any noise. The bed was really comfy. There was a walk-in closet and a big, modern bathroom with all possible amenities, and even a Nespresso coffee maker with an assortment of flavors. the hotel boasts a sophisticated spa with a sauna and steam bath. It's clean and elegant with an oriental touch. Very nice.

And you cannot beat its location: if you're a runner, the Außenalster is right in front of you, which makes for a nice 8k run. A few minutes by foot and you're in front of city hall and Hamburg's prime shopping area. Public transportation takes you everywhere else in just minutes.

All in all, this was a great change from our usual routine. If you haven't been to a traditional European grand hotel, give yourself the treat at least once. The Vier Jahreszeiten certainly makes your stay worth the while.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the courtyard. It was super quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andreas W
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This Hotel is in a beautiful location right in the middle of things. We checked in for a one nighter and had only a little wait. The staff was friendly. The Hotel is very dated and should not have 5-stars any longer. The floor boards were creaking and the furniture was dated. We also got one of their bad rooms with view to nowhere ! For the money paid, I am sorry, there is too much better and newer out there. This Hotel should be torn down and rebuild just for location !!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank estadosunidos1
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten is a true European grand hotel situated on the shores of the beautiful Inner Alster Lake in Germany. The elegant hotel has some of the beautifully designed suites I have ever seen in recent times and they come with the latest technology. During my last visit, I loved the Spa and Fitness Club located on the fifth and sixth floor, which was amazingly relaxing. I hope I will receive the same services on my next visit. The cuisine was top class and the catering services awesome.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The Four Seasons has all that you want from a grand hotel. It is in a central location right by Inner Alster Lake, close to the swish Department stores and the shopping precinct. It has an elegant interior with the fabulous Wohnhalle lounge where afternoon tea and evening meals are served. There is also classy two Michelin star Haerlin Restaurant serves amazing food though booking there is necessary.

The rooms are spacious, even at the standard end, and each has a walk-in wardrobe. The bathrooms are sizeable with double sinks and a separate shower. Each bedroom has all the typical amenities of a top class hotel: robes, slippers, safe, sensor-managed mini bar, complimentary bottled water etc.

Breakfast was varied and plentiful with eggs, omelettes and beverages served by the waiter. The hours are also very civilised, with food served until 11.30 am at the weekends.

We tried Doc Cheng's restaurant in the basement – predominantly Asian cuisine although with a rather limited menu. The place is rather atmospheric and well suited to a romantic tête-à-tête.

The staff members are very friendly and knowledgeable with good spoken English.

A couple of things let this great venue down. One is that our corridor was cluttered with tables for private functions. Another is that the main bar is very small and it permits cigar smoking. With general shortage of bar space in the hotel in the high season restricting the main bar in that way is rather inconvenient to non-smokers.

Room Tip: Corner rooms, like 244, tend to be larger
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple