“Fairmont keeps "bringing it on"!!”

Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
Ranked #2 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fairmont keeps "bringing it on"!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

Alas, no reservations in Hamburg last week, but I noticed, "yes," "yes" there is a Fairmont in Hamburg, let's go there. Started off rather grim at the front desk, i.e., 2 guys wanting separate rooms in a place with only one inner garden room available. My President's Club card opened things up a bit and ultimately changed this little part of our trip in the most memorable. Two lake front rooms, both of which were exquisitely appointed, top notch service as we were escorted to our rooms by the front desk manager. Cocktails in a tea room that echoed pre-WWII Germany and invited visions of Marlene Dietrich walking in sitting down by the piano player and singing. Corny? I know, but this is just the way it was. Wonderful restaurants on the first floor (Zagats #1in Hamburg). The location on the lake is in the middle of everything. Guest services was extremely helpful in giving us a walking itinerary that took us down by the sea captains's ancient homes and the sailing clubs along the Elbe River (needed to take the subway). All in all this was a great experience for us and is to be highly recommended. I skyped my wife and showed her pics of the room as it looked onto the lake.

Room Tip: Ask for lake front. Even the first floor lake front rooms are exquisite. Be a member of the Fairmo...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear guest

Thank you very much for the kind comments made during your last stay in our hotel.

We always appreciate our residents taking the time to let us know when they are content with our staff as well as the service.

Your compliments are a great motivation for our employees and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten.

Exec. Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stayed at the Vier Jahreszeiten only one night, regrettably much too short, but had a wonderful dining experience on the premises. Luncheon in a restored art deco, wood paneled room, with two tiers, and smartly attired staff was by default, as our quartet was weary from traveling. But what a wonderful default it was. Fish preparation and service demonstrated extraordinary skill in the kitchen and in the dining room. Wine pairing could not have been better. Concierge helped with dinner arrangements, printed boarding passes, arranged airport transportation with ease.

Room Tip: A room with a lake view is wonderful. This appears to be a large hotel with other options, so speci...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest

Thank you very much for the kind comments made on tripadvisor from your last stay at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahresezeiten Hamburg.

Your compliments are a great motivation for our employees and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg.

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

We went for a three days business trip with my boyfriend to Hamburg and had been recommended to stay in the city center at the lake. The hotel was lovely, the employees much warmer than the weather and the room just stunning. We somehow felt like in one of the Grand Dames in London. The afternoon tea in the living room was exceptional.
We appreciated the central location to water, shopping and nightlife and fell i love with the beautiful city and its people.

Room Tip: Have a Lake View Room! A must when in Hamburg.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

HongKong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

We got a beautiful room on the first floor overlooking the Aalster.
Overall the hotel leaves a tired impression: carpet in the corridors is worn out, paint on some windows is cracked…
Staff is professional and friendly, but not over dynamic.
Breakfast is poor and served in a series of small connecting rooms with practically no daylight.
At night, the lounge with the open fire is cosy and inviting.
Did not live up to the expectations and is substandard compared to Vier Jahreszeiten in Munich

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank WillemL
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your comments on tripadvisor during your last stay at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg.

We greatly appreciate your comments. This is certainly not the level of service we pride ourselves in rendering to our valued customers, such as yourself, and for which we gained our reputation. We truly value your patronage and would never take it for granted.

It is my sincere hope that this incident does not keep you up from coming back to Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg.

Yours Sincerely

St. John's, Newfoundland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

I was in Germany for business and decided to spend the weekend in Hamburg as a weekend off from work. I reserved the hotel on August 2, a Deluxe King Lakefront Room (with balcony on the fifth floor) Nonsmoking, for a stay 29 - 31 October. Based on the website, and reviews, I was looking forward to my stay. But hopes turned to disappointment when I checked in. I was told I had been given an upgrade to a suite on the first floor, however I purposely booked the top floor for the view, and so no one would be walking on the floor above. Given the fifth floor rooms were fully booked, I was forced to settle for the Maria Callas Suite on the first floor -- a wonderful room, but for several reasons (not least of which is footsteps above my head and noise of furniture being moved when they cleaned up downstairs at 11PM and set up at 6AM) it wasn't an upgrade by my standards or expectations. The Customer Service Manager, Herr Heyder, did everything he could to ameliorate the situation, but his options were limited.

While I would recommend the hotel, for the reasons suggested in other reviews, I would suggest that if one wants a specific room type, to not trust the reservation service -- call the hotel directly and be sure to take the name of the person you spoke to, the date and the time. The hotel claims Fairmont reservations only told them the room rate I was paying (I was given a lower rate for the room because I was using an upgrade certificate given to me as a Platinum Presidents Club member) -- they had not been informed what room type I reserved (Fairmont apparently issued me a printed confirmation specifying room type,but they say the information was not given to the hotel). I wonder what Fairmont reservations will say to explain the situation. Regardless, I am left with a room I didn't want and a relaxing weekend that was anything but. My concern now is whether my future reservations with Fairmont will be equally uncertain. But that is a different issue.

So, the bottom line is that this is a wonderful hotel, if you get the room your reserved, but don't have confidence that the room you reserve is the one you will be assigned.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake are preferred, but you can't assume the room you reserve is the room you w...
3 Thank RAKlein
Dear guest

We were already in direct contact with you and it is my sincere hope that this incident does not keep you up from coming back to Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg.

Yours Sincerely

Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

this hotel is a "grand classic" hotel now operated by Fairmont. The check-in was excellent and my room was on the top floor overlooking the lake. The view along with the balcony which I enjoyed on a sunny October afternoon made for a great visit. The fitness room is outstanding for a European hotel. But perhaps the best treat at the hotel is the main dining room. Reserve in advance and you will have a great meal with fantastic service. My first trip to Hamburg and I found it enjoyable with a lively waterfront to wander around on a Saturday and take a harbor tour. I highly recommend the Vier Jahreszeiten and Hamburg.

Room Tip: A view of the lake is spectacular.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

Recently I was fortunate enough to be in Hamburg on business and to get to stay at the Vier Jahreszeiten. After some initial confusion when I told the taxi driver to take me to the Fairmont and he replied "Yes, the Four Seasons" and I said, "No, the Fairmont", I realized that Vier Jahreszeiten translates as the Four Seasons. From a previous visit to Hamburg I knew the hotel had a terrific location on the Inneraltse, a small lake in the heart of the city, and that it was within walking distance of most sites. Upon arrival it was immediately apparent that service is everything at this hotel. The staff wore their crisp uniforms without affectation or servility, but as if they really enjoyed being in the business of making their guests feel welcome and respected.
At checkin I received the good news that I had been upgraded to a junior suite overlooking the water. As the pictures attest, the view was excellent. The suite was enormous and included a gas fireplace (not needed thankfully), a very practical working area, some very nice antique furniture and a huge bathroom with separate shower and tub and two vanities.
For the three days I stayed here I could not have been treated better than if I was a guest in a friend's home. Whether it was the front desk, concierge, doorman or restaurant personnel, the service was warm and ultra professional. All were fluent in English.
When I went down to breakfast I would find the room completely done up, even though I was only out of it for 30 minutes. Other than breakfast, regretfully my business did not allow me to experience the restaurants or lounge. A good reason to come back.
Obviously this level of service and amenities does not come without a price, but I believe in the case of Vier Jahreszeiten, that price is worth it.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear guest

Thank for your stay at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg and the kind comments made on Tripadvisor.