“A beautiful Church.”

Ranked #6 of 341 things to do in Hamburg
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This huge 18th-century cathedral is Hamburg's best known architectural landmark.
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a beautiful church, but the lookout at the top and the crypt below are what sets it apart from other churches. Entry to the church itself is free, and it is well worth a look. I would love to be there when the organ is being played, I think it would be quite an experience. There is a small fee to go to the top of the church. We wanted to go up in the lift, but the line up was very long. So we walked up, I think it is 450 steps! There is plenty of opportunity to rest on the way if it is too far for you. There is also things to see on the way, that you won't see if you go in the lift.
Below the church is the crypt. There is a lot of history here, really interesting artefacts and information, make sure you don't miss this.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,321)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This church is nice inside. When I went in there was a flute, oboe, and organ trio playing. It was nice to just sit there and enjoy the music while resting from walking. There's an option to climb up the tower and to see the crypt.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you are nereby the Landungsbrücken - go up in St: Michael. The sight is very nice and it will give you excersice.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went to this church for the first time in September 2012. I went inside the church which was vast, and beautiful. Having had a look round inside and taken some photos, I then made my way up the 32 steps to the lift that took me to the top of the tower. I took a number of photos looking down on Hamburg - a wonderful green and pleasant city. I then took the lift back down, when I met up with a cleaning lady, and she took me into some rooms that other people could not get to as she had keys to them. We then went outside the church and she showed me the massive statue of Martin Luther, we then parted company and she went off to finish her work, and I went back into the church to pick up some postcards and a book in English to take back to England with me. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and think I shall have to go back next April when I return to Miniatur Wunderland. A truly magnificent church and so very, very big. I cannot imagine how many people could be seated in such a fantastic building. Have never seen a church of that size in England. They have two organs, one has original pipes, but they also have a small new organ as well. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to it, as it was my fifth visit to Hamburg, but my first visit to St. Michaelis, wonderful. You do have to pay an entrance fee if you are considering going up to the top of the tower, but the views of Hamburg are wonderful.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We took the lift to the top for some lovely views. Very cold and windy but worth the effort. Oddly we were not allowed to go inside the church as it was closed for lunch!!!