“Amazing Experience!”

Ranked #5 of 70 Museums in Hamburg
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Experience 600 years of dark history of the Hanseatic city. 13 shows in a unique location. That's us - the Hamburg Dungeon!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 16, 2012

A absolute must! This is not your average "scary place", Hamburg dungeons is so much more, you are part of the show, it is theatre and interactivity all in one! I had an absolute amazing time! well worth the 20 Euro's!

1  Thank Jo-AnnB80

Reviewed October 5, 2011

The whole concept was pretty funny and it is only a little bit scary (mostly at the end). The actors were all great.
Only bad thing for us was when asking at the ticket booth if they recommened it for those who do not understand German, they said sure they do, there are short films with English subtitles. But for those of you who can not really speak German, it will be a bad experiance, there is too much acting and you will miss all the jokes and stories the others are laughing about... :(

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Pro:
English Tours since May.
Less waiting time when taking part in English tour.

Cons:
Videos still in German.
English Subtitles provided but sometimes difficult to read when a big group.
Long 'Stoertebecker' Video without Subtitles at all.
Some actors are snobby 'prima donnas'.

I really looked forward to the visit at the Hamburg Dungeons & was delighted to see that when you take part in an English tour, that starts at fixed time, you wont have to wait as long as the poor people waiting for the German tour.
In all fairness, if I would have had to wait in line I would probably not bothered as it looked like a 1-2 hour wait.

Once we were ushered into the first room before the show started a quiet gruesome actor came jumping out of a door growling at us. Just what you expect to happen.
When he passed us I poked him with my finger for fun.
Expecting him to jump around & roar and try to 'scare us'.
Instead he looked at me & started talking to me in German.
When I replied 'I'm sorry I don't understand. I don't speak much German' he left through a side door, came back a minute later, told me to follow him & presented me to one of the people working behind the scenes.
The actor left grumbling 'Schmeiss sie sofort raus!' which means as much as 'Throw her out!' That much German I do understand.
The backstage guy then explained to me with a very red head that we should not touch the actors as they are professionals. He was definitely embarrassed having to give me this talk.
I apologised to him, saying it didn't mean anything by it & he allowed me to join the tour again.

As you can imagine this tainted the rest of the experience somewhat. I know the dungeon is not a children attraction but for an actor to blow a fuse like this...

In defence of the other actors I have to admit that there were really great ones & none of them seem to be as stuck up as the first one.
I just can't help wondering if I would have been thrown out if the actor wouldn't have needed a translator.

All in all the show was fun but it did feel a bit like being walked from one themed room to the next.

The 'boat ride' wasn't very exciting but keeping in mind that it is set up inside of a building you can't expect an amusement park style log ride.

As it was the first time I rode in a free fall 'ride' and I was nearly about to chicken out it was pretty scary and nicely done.

All in all it's probably a must for Dungeon fans but I'd really love to go to the London or Edinburgh Dungeon to be able to compare the quality of the show & rides.

4  Thank Eehad
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Please be advised that the actors do only speak german. There might be English tours, bit please get informed before you enter the Hamburg Dungeon.
And do get a 2-4-1 Voucher, otherwise it is far too expensive. you will be lead from one room into another... the actors are not very motivated, I think. And one actor gets several roles...
Nothing too fear about, well done but no need to see...
Please plan at last 30 min to 2 hour waiting time or get the tickets in advance

4  Thank Tomratz
Reviewed January 15, 2011

I enjoyed the Dungeon, but given what I had been told beforehand, the visit left me somewhat disappointed, too. I had envisioned it to be scarier and more informative of Hamburg's history. I recommend it as one of those one-timers. The actors are great, as is the whole interior!