Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$300
$255
  • Pool
$105
$85
  • Bar/Lounge
Best Western Amedia Hamburg(Hamburg)(Great Value!)
$126
$95
  • Restaurant
Ibis Budget Hamburg City(Hamburg)(Great Value!)
$83
$132
  • Room Service
$87
$79
All reviewsboiled eggsreeperbahn arearoom doorhomeless peopleshort walkexcellent locationnight lifetea and coffeehigh floortwin roomwalk in showergood sizebooked this hotelper daycentral locationdecent hotelharbour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Initially upon seeing this hotel in the area it was in, and have never been to Hamburg before, thought "oh no, what have I booked". But once inside at reception felt relieved that it was actually quite nice. Staff were helpful and friendly. Our first night was a warm night so asked reception to turn on the air conditioning for us. First hotel we have been in whereby air conditioning needed to be turned on via reception - but oh well. I think this hotel seems to embrace energy conservation and striving to be as clean/green as possible and I can't fault that. Unfortunately though we awoke in the night to the roof leaking and dripping water all over the carpet - which was the air conditioning unit. The next morning we asked to be moved, but as no rooms were available we were asked to pack all our belongings and leave them at reception until another room would become available. Couldn't be bothered doing that as we had a busy day of business ahead of us, but to their credit they got a technician in and our air conditioning was fixed for when we came back. As a way of an apology they gave us free parking for our rental car which was appreciated. Busy breakfast area, so take heed of the sign in the lifts which tells you when peak breakfast traffic is. They are not wrong! We succeeded in getting a table. Very much help yourself to anything, even tea and coffee. Don't expect anyone to wait on you. Personally found the area rather seedy. Don't understand what the hype is all about with the Reeperbahn. We were told by German colleagues that it is notorious for pick pockets etc - hence why there is a set police force for this area. Many homeless people too. For those of us that come from countries where this isnt the norm, it can be a bit off putting. So -in short. The hotel is fair to good but the area is a real dive.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank HY-5
HIEx_Guest_Service, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear HY-5,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience the air conditioning caused during your stay. I am happy to read that the issues were resolved to your satisfaction and that you were overall happy with your stay.
I agree with your comment, regarding the Reeperbahn area. It seems that you either love it or hate it. I hope that the area didn’t put you off and that we can welcome you again for your next stay in Hamburg.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I don't usually stay in chain hotels. I like the character of a small privately run hotel. I booked here because we needed three rooms and for the Hafengeburtstag there were not so many opportunities for a group staying together.
The rooms were a decent size, had a decent TV with a selection of English language channels. The road outside was very loud though, so we slept badly with the window open. The WiFi worked in the room or lobby and was a bit slow, but the place was packed. The shower was nice and big, but the water pressure was low, so I had to stand right under the nozzle. Again maybe because the hotel was so full. The breakfast was missing, in my opinion, laugenbrezels, which I thought were ubiquitous and herrings, which I thought might have been an option just because we were in Hamburg.
All in all everything was fine but there was one thing about the hotel which exceeded my expectations. The staff were all really helpful and friendly, but unobtrusive. That is something that can't be controlled from head office, that comes from the hotel itself.
I see that Fabienne Mueller reads and sometimes responds to reviews here. Fabienne please tell both the staff and management that they did a fantastic job on one of the toughest weekends of the year. We had people arriving from three different countries at different times and everything was perfectly managed in multiple languages.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back might be quieter, but I can only confirm that rooms at the front are loud from street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kris B
HIEx_Guest_Service, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Dear Kris,

thank you so much for the lovely review of your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe.

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, but I am very pleased to read that you were satisfied overall and I am more than happy to pass on your kind words to my colleagues.

We would certainly be very honoured to welcome you again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Typical Holiday inn Express - good quality, clean and service is good. Never gonna set the world alight but does exactly what it says on the tin. Location good near the messe and reeperbahn - great hotel 'East' next door with a good bar if you want a drink.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Chris,

thank you very much for the review of your resent stay at our Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we would be more than happy to welcome you again.

Kind regards from St. Pauli,

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I found myself in trouble when my reservation at East hotel next door did not work so i decided to try this one and to be fair, this does the job well.
Yes rooms are small but you cant complain for the value for money... I found the bathroom was very alright. They serve a decent continental breakfast.
Location is good.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
HIEx_Guest_Service, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Hakunamaatata,

thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your unexpected stay with us and found everything you needed. I hope that we may welcome you again in the future under more pleasant circumstances for you.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights - taking in some football with a group of friends.
Great location as very close to both the Reeperbahn and Millerntor Stadium.
Stayed in a Twin room, if being critical I've stayed in bigger twin rooms with Holiday Inn franchise.
Room & Bathroom were both clean and modern.
Breakfast was adequate - the standard Continental. Brits don't expect a cooked breakfast just doesn't happen on the continent but plenty of bread, cereals, fruit etc.
Staff very helpful booking taxis and giving directions and recommendations to bars/restaurants.
Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
HIEx_Guest_Service, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Dear Jprowe,

thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time in Hamburg and that our hotel offered you everything you expected.
We would certainly be happy to welcome you again as our guest anytime.