“great hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe
Ranked #68 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was not sure when 6 off us went to Hamburg for a 4 night stay,The hotel is just far enough away from the Reeperbahn to be quite, but not far away as to have a long walk to get there.
I was very surprised at Hamburg the place is fantastic full of live and very vibrant the bars up and down the Reeperbahn are what you would expect them to be loud and even louder, but go off some off the streets and you find a wonderland of local bars ,Irish bars with live music in them that has to seen to be believed. I was in Hamburg 40 odd years ago very short stays and I was greatly shocked at the city it has to be one of the most beautiful cities I have been in for a long time.
There is a lot of work going on along the docks and a lot of building work at the Harbour.
I would recommend a walk through one of the many parks and there are a few to choose from
stop of at one of the many little squares and sit and have a beer or a drink of your choice and enjoy the local culture the meals are superb and don't cost the earth, all in all a great few days and we will be going back

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank George O

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed two nights. Room (priority club type) was above average quality, clean and relatively quiet if not exactly huge. Caution...as has been previously noted the water in the showers can be troublesome (early morning shower had nothing but scalding hot water).

Breakfast is okay but the place is super crowded most of the time, although the staff work hard to keep things clean and replenished. Location is excellent, right next to the Reeperbahn, very walkable to the harbor and central city, u-bahn about a block away.

Front desk staff polite and responsive. For an american-style chain, the price is not excessive (as long as you're getting some type discount). Overall, not bad, but not some place I'd go out of my way to book...I'd probably try something else on my next trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank gc3inDC
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel is a clean one, with friendly and English speaking staff. The rooms are nice, the breakfast is basic. The hotel is a 20 min walk from the heart of the town. I've stayed for 3 days and never used transportation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MDL2a
Reviewed May 9, 2013

It was a good Trip thereand we both like this Holiday Inn Express. Location is very good - just one minute awayfrom the Main Entertainment District. Friendly Service at the CheckIn and during Breakfast Service. We had been there already thesecond Timeand can recommend it especially for Tourists.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barradSUN1981
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and found hotel to be ideal for our short break. We took taxi from Airport (23 euros) and though we arrived well before check in time our room was available which was great as we'd been up since 4 a.m. Even better was the birthday cake in the room with a card that my children had organised. The staff on reception were brilliant. Room was clean and quiet, good thick curtains too to keep out light at night. Good buffet breakfast too.The hotel is very close to the metro and is on the line which takes you to most tourist stops. That said it's an easy walk down to the Riverfront. The Reeperbahn close by to if that's your thing. All in all would recommend if you're visiting Hamburg. ( Miniatur Wonderland a must see. )

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank smanamana_10
HIEx_Guest_Service, Leiter Front Office at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear guest Smanamana_10,

thanks for taking the time to give us a feedback after your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St.Pauli Messe.
I am glad that you were satisfied with your stay here and our staff and that you have spent nice days in Hamburg.
I will pass on your positive feedback to our staff , which I am sure is gratefully received.

We would be glad to welcome you again at the Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe.

Guest Service Manager

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Purpose of visit was football to see St .Pauli so good location for match before and after. The hotel rooms were smarter than Holiday Express Rooms in the UK but smaller. Bathroom small but shower very good. Had double room for single person so this was not a problem but would be ok for short stay if travelling light if a couple.
Breakfast was good and there was always space for a group of 4 regardless of time. Within walking distance of the Jolly Rodger and good Celtic bar so very good if there for the match . Had very little to do with the staff as had no reason for complaint but found check in polite and swift.

Room Tip: Go for one on high floor at rear of hotel as view quite good and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
HIEx_Guest_Service, Leiter Front Office at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear guest Hawklord,

thanks for your feedback after your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe.
I am glad that you were satisfied with your stay at our hotel and spent nice days in Hamburg.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The worse thing , but for the facts that will be described here, was during the check out.
With a smile on his face, the clerk said: well, I hope you had a good stay with us.
Well- no, you know it, we complained for 8-9 times, and in fact we departed ASAP in the morning, just to reach our next destination.
Instead of apologizing, or even suggesting a refund( well- we had no opoportunity to use the showers....)- you are asking about our stay? This is really a shame.

well- now we see that other complained as well: very hot water in all taps- for 2 hours no body tries to solve the problem- and then a clerk tries to fix it.
we paid for internet- no reception in room- we had to go to the lobby in order to connect.
We asked about places to go- got a very nice explaination- but nobody told us- don't go, everyplace is closed because of good Friday.
So: don't approach this hotel, and we are looking for some compensation!

Room Tip: A room where you can get reception for the internet
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
HIEx_Guest_Service, Leiter Front Office at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear guest Avi,

thanks for your honest feedback after your stay at our hotel.
I would like to apologize for the troubles during your stay at our hotel and I regret that you dídn´t have a nice stay with us.
At this weekend we had problems in some rooms with the control of the water but we immediately contacted a company which fixed this problem-I really regret that this problem occured.
Also I like to apologize that our staff didn´t provide the correct informations concerning attractions over the public holidays.
I will provide this informations to my colleagues and there will be trainings to avoid that these problems will not occure again.

Nevertheless we will be glad to welcome you again at the Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St.Pauli Messe.