“Excellent sushi in Germany”

ONO by Steffen Henssler
Ranked #66 of 3,985 Restaurants in Hamburg
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hoheluft-Ost
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have to start my review by warning the reader that I rarely eat Sushi outside of Japan or Califormia. A colleague took me here and I enjoyed my meal very much, although I do not believe it stacks up to the best of Los Angeles and San Francisco or certainly Tokyo. For one thing the sashimi selection was rather limited although all I tried was excellent. The stand-out entree for me was a variation on gyu-tataki --- seared very rare beef. This was excellent and memorable. Service was great and the meal was more affordable than I thought given that the restaurant is the brainchild of a celebrity chef. It is also a see and be seen place so the people watching was outstanding.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Getting a table here is a challenge already on weekdays not to speak of weekends. We got lucky on a Friday though the place was packed.
The service was friendly and attentive and the food was fresh and good even though not all sushi variations were completely to my taste.
The only issue I have is the noise in this place. Because it is one big room it gets extremely loud when all tables are occupied.
Overall it is a stylish, not too over the top sushi restaurant I would recommend to visit on a weekday or for lunch. You could also pick up some sushi to go in case you don´t live too far away.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I came there for the second time. I am a sushi lover and have been to good location around the world. We asked the waitress to choose their favourites for us. The result was an excellent selection of starters and then sushi. Extremely high standard (fresh, taste, fusion of European elements like olives and sushi basics). Very friendly staff. If the location would be a bit more special, I would give a six star.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Eppendorf needs some new quality eating places with better value.
Here their soup bowls have shrunk in size.
Service has become less interested and too few on busy days.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We experienced the ONO early December with 5 persons and enjoyed an outstanding dinner. Because all of us love Japanese food, we were focussed (of course) on Miso soup, Sashimi and Sushi, and I think this is also the reason to go there. Fresh, well prepared, tasty, very commited and friendly stuff + innovative food creation. Our favourite: surf`n turf sushi !
Otherwise location is not the hot spot, a modern, glassy room with clear lines. If it is fully occupied....and most of the time it is, less space for everybody and very loud, obviously there is a disadvantage in acoustics due to modern building concept. Cloak room is located outside, not visible, many guests prefer to put the clothings on the chairs...this is killing the atmosphere, it looks like a fast food location on the train station.
Nevertheless we will come back !!