“Charming Decor and Good Location”

Alt Hamburger Aalspeicher
Ranked #324 of 3,737 Restaurants in Hamburg
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hamburg-Altstadt
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Our experience was better than anticipated. A smallish restaurant but with an interior with character (nautical theme) and a small outdoor terrace (4 tables) on a small canal. Family owned, with the family still involved. They specialize in seafood which was excellent. Service is good and the price was very reasonable. Dinner for two, each with a glass of wine, no dessert came to euro 59. If you want to sit on the terrace best to all ahead for reservations: 040 36 29 90. A return visit is warranted.

There are newer reviews for Alt Hamburger Aalspeicher

Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

The reataurant was easy to find, and they seating was nicely arranged, with some tables next to the canal (could be slightly windy though, but i think you can ask for a blacket).
We never tried eel soup and it seems their classic eel soup is quite famous, so we gave it a go. It was delicious with slightly sweet taste.
We did not order eels for main course (as the would be too many eels just for one meal). I tried something local, Labskaus, which is like minced corn beef. My boyfriend chose herring. They were both nice, but I think my boyfriend enjoyed his more than mine.
The lady owner was not in a paticular good mood on that day, looking quite fed up with this job. :( but still nice enough.
I would say, if you have not tried eels before, why not?

Reviewed March 1, 2013

we didn't like this place: it was quite expensive as for the quality of the food we got: I had the Sole (Seezunge) with some vegetables and overcooked pasta, my bf had steamed plaice (Scholle) which tasted like paper in my opinion.
as I read all the reviews I think that this place can be specialised in eel dishes, so maybe we should have ordered them...

1  Thank Olichipu
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Cosy establishment, great service. We took the gebratener Fish for two, it was delicious and way too much after the starter we've had!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Close to the Landungsbrücken is the location. The Restaurant offers mainly fish and local specialities as Eel & Matjes.
If it is good weather do make a reservation as the balcony is small but directly overlooking a canal ( fleet ).
We had Matjes variations and potato-soup as starters, the main course was ' Kutterscholle ', a plaice with small tasty shrimps from the Northsea. The beer went well with it and afterwards we ordered to Aquavit Aalborg Jubi, as digestive. All together for € 67.00 for two. Good ratio.
If you fancy fish it is the right place, for meat lovers there is not much but they have steaks.